OBDII code P1405 on a 97 Mountaineer - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Exhaust
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-18-2006, 19:52   #1 (permalink)

OBDII code P1405 on a 97 Mountaineer

So two weeks ago I took my mountaineer to the dealer for it's 90K service. Along with the regular service they said i had an exhaust leak and I told them to fix it.

Then last week I moved and drove the truck about 600 miles loaded down pretty good with stuff. About halfway through the trip I noticed when I stepped on the gas it would make a kind of clattering noise in time with he acceleration. When I reached my destination, parked the car, and later restarted it, the check engine light came on and has been on ever since.

I took it to Autozone and hooked up the OBD unit and it said it came back with two codes: P1405 and P1405 with a "PD". I know P1405 is "DPFE sensor upstream hose off or plugged". I don't know what the "PD" means. And the noise the car is making could very well be the sound of a slightly unmuffled engine.

I'm guessing that whatever they did to "fix" my exhaust leak they didn't do right. I'm just wondering if anyone knows if this would be an easy fix that I could do myself. More specifically, is this in an easy place to get to. I assume I have to get under the car but I just don't want to have to take a lot apart to get to it. I found another post on here about this specific code but no word on whether this is an easy fix.

thanks
Cooby is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-19-2006, 11:37   #2 (permalink)
I used to know this stuff

Re: OBDII code P1405 on a 97 Mountaineer

[QUOTE=Cooby]So two weeks ago I took my mountaineer to the dealer for it's 90K service. Along with the regular service they said i had an exhaust leak and I told them to fix it.

Then last week I moved and drove the truck about 600 miles loaded down pretty good with stuff. About halfway through the trip I noticed when I stepped on the gas it would make a kind of clattering noise in time with he acceleration. When I reached my destination, parked the car, and later restarted it, the check engine light came on and has been on ever since.

I took it to Autozone and hooked up the OBD unit and it said it came back with two codes: P1405 and P1405 with a "PD". I know P1405 is "DPFE sensor upstream hose off or plugged". I don't know what the "PD" means. And the noise the car is making could very well be the sound of a slightly unmuffled engine.
Easiest check first:
DTC P1405-Differential Pressure Feedback Electronic (DPFE) sensor upstream hose off or plugged - or cracked
I believe it is on the driver's side of engine, half-way down... also, ck all hoses for damage or "left-off during lunch break"

more DTC info below

http://www.visi.com/~rhanson/obdII_codes-full-text.htm

http://tomco-inc.com/Tech_Tips/ttt35.pdf

http://64.233.167.104/search?q=cache...tc+P1405&hl=en
Old 01-19-2006, 19:59   #3 (permalink)

Yeah I finally got a diagram of where it is on the engine. I wipped out the old flashlight and low and behold, I think I see the end of the upstream hose sitting there not connected to anything and the port on one side of the flow control orifice with no hose connected. It was late I had just driven the car and it was hot so I didn't try sticking my hand down in there, but I'll try reconnecting it tomorrow and see if everything gets cleared up.

Thanks
Old 01-20-2006, 06:50   #4 (permalink)

Hope you have a dig. cam or whatever to snap a pic & shoot it to the Dealer. I've been seeing some sloppy work like this lately in 2 local 'ships that used to be great for safe & qual. work; they are forgetting "little" things such as putting the MC cover back on after a brake job; leaving anti-rattle clips off; stripping wheel studs, etc. Something unsafe and also tooooo sloppy ofr the shop rate charged.
Old 01-20-2006, 08:44   #5 (permalink)

Yeah well while they were in there "fixing" my exhaust problem I think they should have seen this cracked hose (the upstream hose is cracked where it connects to the port on the EGR tube). In the worst case maybe they figured they'd leave it so i'd have to come back in later. Fortunately the CEL came on so soon after i took it in that I was determined to figure it out myself and not trust the shop.

Anyway i reconnected the hose and everything sounds normal again. I might run another diagnostice just to see.
Old 01-20-2006, 10:28   #6 (permalink)

ok, good luck!
btw, if you ever need new tubes or air valves (they will rust out soon, take it from me!..lol); try http://www.pciinc.com/index.cfm
you can also buy their products locally.
They do reply to e mail Qs promply and have great free print catalog.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Exhaust