Price on Exhaust system - Your opinions? - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
» Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Exhaust
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-25-2004, 18:57   #1 (permalink)
NZ
feed me hey

Price on Exhaust system - Your opinions?

Just got off the phone from a place I got to do a quote for an exhaust system for me...

Hitec headers made from stainless steel without cats: 867
2 generic cats with 2.25 inlet and outlet : $230 each
3 inch cat back with 2 mufflers: $418 (front section) $264 (rear)
3 inch exhaust dump tip: $56
and labour $250 - $280

Total cost from heads to exhaust tip fitted: $2075 - $2125

YIKES!

Seriously is this a rip off or what you pay for something like this??

The other interesting thing is that the HM headers were listed as only fitting EL - AU and something about one of the primaries being different. I would have thought anything that fitted EL would have fitted my EB as well - confused on that one. I don't know if the mufflers are any special brand or wot not.

Seriously I think I'll be leaving it at that price - I cant justify spending that sort of cash on just an exhaust!

I'd be interested in hearing what others have done and what they paid for and got etc.
Advertisement

Old 07-25-2004, 23:54   #2 (permalink)
Serving Defect #3

Re: Price on Exhaust system - Your opinions?

Get Pacemaker headers they are way cheaper and are considered the industry leader, got my headers for like $550 or $600. I used two cats with a single(and bloody expensive like $500) Supercat muffler and the whole thing cost me about $1950.

I only used twin 2.25 and the muffler is a twin entry single exit jobbie so it's single 2.5 from the muffler back.

The Pacemakers come in 3 different sizes with a small and large interference style and also a 4 into 1, the version I have which is the smaller(still pretty big)interference style are good because they fit both the e7 and gt40p heads.

A good exhaust is definetly worth the money Karl, I consider it a standard fitting for any v8 car, it is worth it just for the sweet note alone, let alone the performance gains as well.I was really keen on a full twin system, but the guy i got mine through said a twin into single using the Supercat would balance the system nicely and give better performance than a full twin system anyway.
fordfan351 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2004, 01:44   #3 (permalink)
NZ
feed me hey

The guy was recommending stainless headers because he reckoned mild steel flaked and went into the cats?! Personally I reckon its BS. I was sorta hoping to spend around the $1200 - $1500 mark but I guess I'm more in the frame of mind now of doing it properly the first time.

Another question that the guy couldnt answer was if the headers will fit my current heads and the GT40P's How about aftermarket alloy heads?? I'm not sure what I want to do head wise at the moment but they do need to be taken off and replaced with something better as one head has a broken lower manifold bolt and I reckon its only a matter of time before the lower manifold starts to leak.

At the moment I want to get any feedback I can so I don't go and blow a wad of cash and then regret it later (like I usually do).
Old 07-26-2004, 02:40   #4 (permalink)
Two SC 61's = trouble

Unless you get way too serious heads like TFS-R series they all fit..
Passengers, myocardial infarction material..
R.I.P Possum...
ebxr8240 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2004, 03:44   #5 (permalink)
Operation E-Series Hoon™

Mine came with the exhaust :D
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yagz
Stop putting stupid yagz quotes in your stupid signatures you stupid people!
Yagz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2004, 04:39   #6 (permalink)
Bourbon powered V8

Not that this is much help to you (because of location), but the exhaust place I go to in canberra does pacemakers, high flow cats, one muffler and one resonator/hot dog with large single oval tip for $1900 fitted (all mild steel). Apart from the header brand, I have no idea what brand the rest of the system is, but it goes great and sounds good too. A couple of people in our club have gone with this set up and they have all been happy - with the price, service and results.

I already have 3" cats back, but will be going to them at some stage for pacemakers - $850 fitted.

The price breakup of the above system is roughly as follows:
headers (fitted) $850
HF 2.5" cats $200 each fitted ($400 total)
Cats back system $650 (fitted)
Oval tip $100 (fitted)

The only time this ever gets more expensive is if you do it in bits and pieces. The headers price stays the same, but the rest goes up by around $50 for each cat and about the same for the cat back system, as doing it all at once saves them having to cut your old cats to fit the new system etc, which saves on labour charge.

I reckon anything over $2000 for a similar setup is a bit of a rip off, but it depends on how well you know the business and if it's stainless or mild steel. The only difference between the two is the look, and mild steel is rated to last around 10 years, stainless should see around 15+ years. If you are planning to own the car for more than 10 years (or you show it a lot, and the exhaust look is important), then go stainless, otherwise it's not worth it. You can get the headers HPC coated for around $200 which gives a better finish than stainless anyway. Oh, and pacemakers come in a steel blue sort of colour - I have never seen a single set of these flake (not in 3 years, anyway).

Sorry about the rather long post - hope all this helps.

AU1 XR8 Auto 147.9 rwkw (approx 215 fwkw)

AU2 Wagon HAD Auto
17s, Pacemakers, 3" Intake & Pod filter (The Family Hack)

Member of:
FPV-XR Club ACT
AUFalcon.com
ATPS (honorary)

Last edited by JC-XR8; 07-26-2004 at 17:43. Reason: Price rise!
JC-XR8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2004, 06:05   #7 (permalink)
NZ
feed me hey

I might just go for mild steel then I can't really justtify it. More likely I'll write the car off if I haven't traded it within 10 years.
Old 07-26-2004, 06:48   #8 (permalink)
In a blue Galaxy

Quote:
Originally Posted by NZ
I might just go for mild steel then I can't really justtify it. More likely I'll write the car off if I haven't traded it within 10 years.
Mate Johnny Macs in Geelong quoted me $1200 for pacemaker tri-ys and twin 2.25 and the cats opened up. Mild steel pretty good value too. Not sure what mufflers though.
O.F.R #12
1999 AU XR8
14.594 @ 94.40mph
152.2RWKW (APS dyno)
Switchable Shift Kit, K&N panel filter, Lukey straight thru mufflers, momo gear and steer,
DBA slotted rotors/Bendix ultimate pads (front), Pioneer MP3 head unit and BA XR carpet mats.

Member of the Society Against Stupid SMS Language
Cobra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2004, 15:07   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by NZ
Just got off the phone from a place I got to do a quote for an exhaust system for me...

Hitec headers made from stainless steel without cats: 867
2 generic cats with 2.25 inlet and outlet : $230 each
3 inch cat back with 2 mufflers: $418 (front section) $264 (rear)
3 inch exhaust dump tip: $56
and labour $250 - $280

Total cost from heads to exhaust tip fitted: $2075 - $2125

YIKES!

Seriously is this a rip off or what you pay for something like this??

The other interesting thing is that the HM headers were listed as only fitting EL - AU and something about one of the primaries being different. I would have thought anything that fitted EL would have fitted my EB as well - confused on that one. I don't know if the mufflers are any special brand or wot not.

Seriously I think I'll be leaving it at that price - I cant justify spending that sort of cash on just an exhaust!

I'd be interested in hearing what others have done and what they paid for and got etc.
g-day , I got my pacies and cats opened up and 3'' single with tip for 1200 bucks .
wayne2728 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2004, 15:28   #10 (permalink)
When 2 T3s are not enough

Thumbs up Re: Price on Exhaust system - Your opinions?

www.liverpoolexhaust.com.au Save yourself some time, Forget the rest, these work they send them in kit form so you can fit them.
Street machine Feb 2002
TE50T3 Remember the GTHO? well your getting close.
Motor mag Jan 2002

Wouldn't you love to say that about your car?You loosers
Noboss is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Exhaust