Resolving Exhaust Drone - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Exhaust
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-26-2004, 02:27   #1 (permalink)
Formally Thomas

Resolving Exhaust Drone

Guys,

Interesting topic which im sure alot of guys suffer from. Ive done the exhaust system on my EL XR8 with Pacemekers into a Twin 2 1/4 system with twin hi-flow cats,
No X-pipe, Goes into a single 3" pipe over the diff and out to the rear. Got a Chrome twin type tip to make it look stock on the rear.

Now ive always suffered from some drone. The cars auto so that doesnt help. Got a resonator welded onto the 3" pipe tucked just under the bodykit behind the right rear wheel. Made differance in sound and quietened it down too but i still do get some drone in low revs. Kinda shits me but ive always put up with it.
Im not 100% what brand the mufflers are as i got the system done nearly 3 yrs ago. How can drone be overcome? Ive had heaps of comments on the exhaust setup and the way it looks is neat. Pitty i cant take some shots as i havnt a hoist. Do mufflers play a role in drone at all? From the setup i have you would think drone wouldnt occur but it does.

Anyone got any suggestions........
Advertisement

Old 02-26-2004, 02:36   #2 (permalink)
i pity tha fool

Re: Resolving Exhaust Drone

umm... i dont know much on it, but i found that installing my extractors removed the drone in my car.. but i've only got a 2.5" exhaust, with one muffler. and i got no idea what kind of muffler it is, but its quiet at idle.

for you tho, i think it'd be a muffler/resonator thing, where you need a resonator tuned for the frequency of sound of the drone.

Previous ride: EBII V8 Manual Ghia spring roll.
Current ride: 1970 ZC 351 Fairlane Custom.. (estimated 350ftlb @ 2000rpm.. max torque 420ftlb at 4500rpm.. with standard exhaust manifold!)
jmartion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2004, 04:22   #3 (permalink)
345kw of V8 Windsor Power

Where abouts does the twin 2 1/4" pipes connect to make a 3" system. To stop the drone you need to change the 3" part to 2 1/2", or at least at the start of the 3" pipe, cut a 1 to 2 foot section out and replace it with a 2 1/2" piece. I know some quite a few people who have done this with good results.
EDXR8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2004, 04:29   #4 (permalink)
Teh Pimp

Yeah basically the bigger the system the more drone there is I think. I have a bit of it at some of the rev range but otherwise it is burble the majority of the time (yum). I also have the same system as jmartion, single 2.5" with one muffler and hot dog.

I am also a youngen so too much noise doesn't bother me much atm but I guess I will get over it. :)
Old 02-26-2004, 04:49   #5 (permalink)
a vile merchant

You're all soft! Just put some 3.7's or 3.9's in the diff and it'll rev a bit higher and you won't even notice it.
PigDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2004, 05:02   #6 (permalink)
ESP Man

Try replacing the hot dog with a resonator or small muffler for a cheap fix.

To do it properly and make more rwkw, ditch the 2 into 1 3" bit including muffler & replace with twin system all the way with a balance pipe or x pipe if you can afford it, otherwise join the twin into 3" single after the rear axle. It will sound better/quieter and make more power. Stay with the twin tips as single tips tend to drone more. Do a before & after dyno to confirm the power increase that you will feel thru your seat. The area of a 3" pipe is much less than the total area of two 2 1/4" pipes. Remember area of a circle = pie r squared. Single 3" systems don't work for that reason!
Old 02-26-2004, 05:51   #7 (permalink)
345kw of V8 Windsor Power

Quote:
Originally Posted by shaynet
Try replacing the hot dog with a resonator or small muffler for a cheap fix.

To do it properly and make more rwkw, ditch the 2 into 1 3" bit including muffler & replace with twin system all the way with a balance pipe or x pipe if you can afford it, otherwise join the twin into 3" single after the rear axle. It will sound better/quieter and make more power. Stay with the twin tips as single tips tend to drone more. Do a before & after dyno to confirm the power increase that you will feel thru your seat. The area of a 3" pipe is much less than the total area of two 2 1/4" pipes. Remember area of a circle = pie r squared. Single 3" systems don't work for that reason!
Actually a 3" will flow more than a twin 2 1/4" system. Although the twin system has a slightly larger cross area, turbulent flow around the outside prevents it from flowing as well. Twin 2 1/4" flows about the same amount as a single 2 1/2" system.
EDXR8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2004, 14:11   #8 (permalink)
100MPH Hunter

No matter what you do you will always have a little bit of drone due to your auto, as other people have said, either go 3" all the way or twin 2 1/4 all the way with a X pipe.

AUII XR8 (200kw), Silhouette, Body Kit, Hawk Wing, 5 Speed man, Premium Brakes, Premium Sound, Genie Extractors, 3" exhaust with twin 3" tips, K & N filter with air scoop, Polished Inlet manifold, MAF & 70mm T/B, T series interior handles & Gear stick ring, Chequer plate, Momo Pedals.
TwinPiston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2004, 17:37   #9 (permalink)
Formally Thomas

Quote:
Originally Posted by EDXR8
Where abouts does the twin 2 1/4" pipes connect to make a 3" system. To stop the drone you need to change the 3" part to 2 1/2", or at least at the start of the 3" pipe, cut a 1 to 2 foot section out and replace it with a 2 1/2" piece. I know some quite a few people who have done this with good results.
It goes into a 3" single just over the diff and connects to it via a flange. I was thinking this too and changing this bit from 3" to 2 1/2 or even 2 1/4 then use a resonator too as the 3" had. I think at the moment the where it goes into a 3" pipe it is causing some drone
Old 02-26-2004, 17:56   #10 (permalink)
boosted sleeper

I find my 2.5" system with pacemakers is still droney. Im considering going 3" all the way thru with a straight thru muffler and about 1-2foot piece of pipe about 2.5" diam fitted between the y piece and muffler. I hear this practically gets rid of all the drone in a single system without feeling any loss in power.

Can anyone back me up on this?
blueoval is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Exhaust