Simple exhaust mods-Again ! - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
» Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Exhaust
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-23-2001, 16:58   #1 (permalink)

Simple exhaust mods-Again !

Hi Guys
I've only just found this site & think it's great!
On 13.02.01 Mike98Au1xr6 commented on info he received from Tickford Technical stating that the most simple & cost effective way to improve both note & performance on the Au1xr6 was to remove the rear resonator, also, that no extra advantage would be gained from aftermarket headers etc. unless a performance chip was fitted.
My question is :does anybody know whether the exhaust on the elxr6 is similar enough to the one on the Au1xr6 for the same information to apply ?
Any feedback would be greatly appreciated .
Cheers Phil
Phils ELXR6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-24-2001, 06:47   #2 (permalink)
Australian EF XR6 Member

As far as I know, the exhaust on the EL XR6 is the same as on the EF XR6 - which is a two piece cast iron job. When you take it off and have a look at it you will notice the size of the 'ports' on this manifold to be quite small.

I put a set of Genie headers on mine, and noticed an improvement in sound, fuel economy and power.

Another good reason to change is the weight of the old manifold - being cast iron it is extremely heavy compared to the headers!

Simon
QuarterPounder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2001, 19:11   #3 (permalink)

falcons benefit greatly from freer flowing exhaust.... if the exhaust system is the same as that of EF XR6s... it still has silencer/resonator/muffler as per garden-variety falcons, but has a 1/4" larger diameter IIRC. the standard headers are common to both XR6 and falcon, and if they make a huge difference to falcons, they'll do the same for XR6s. the performance benefit is immediate, no chip required.
Boson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2001, 09:10   #4 (permalink)

Gidday Simon
Thanks very much for your reply.
Looks like installing a set of headers is the way to go - good to hear from someone who has done the mod.
I take it from your comments that the Au1 xr6 has a mild form of headers factory fitted which is an improvement on the ef/el series otherwise the Tickford recommendations regarding the rear resonator would also apply.I guess I was trying to gain a little improvement with minimal cost!
Still keen to hear from other drivers too.
Cheers
Phil
Old 05-28-2001, 16:35   #5 (permalink)

Hi Boson
Your comments well noted!
Nice to hear that good gains can be realised without having to replace the whole exhaust.
Another benefit is that, where I live ,a cat is not required by law(not yet!)so that would also help without the expense of a high flow cat on top of the headers.
Bye
Old 05-28-2001, 18:45   #6 (permalink)
Experimental Racer#6

HI PHIL,
ARE YOU IN THE TERRITORY ARE YOU.
I KNOW WHEN I WAS UP THERE IT WAS LEGAL TO RUN WITHOUT A CAT.I HAVE 2.5"EXAUST, SINGLE CUSTOM GENIE STAINLESS MUFFLER WITH GENIE HEADERS.
THEN I MOVED TO VIC(WODONGA)FOR WORK AND TO MAKE IT LEGAL I WANTED A 2.5" CAT BUT THE EXAUST PLACE PUT A 3" ON, HIS MISTAKE, I ONLY PAID FOR A 2.5".
ANYWAY THE PERFORMANCE DID NOT DIFFER THAT MUCH, IT DID QUIETEN IT DOWN A BIT THOUGH.
CHEERS
KERRY
TIKFD6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Exhaust