Sprint Exhaust - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
» Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Exhaust
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-17-2001, 00:31   #1 (permalink)
Hinchi

Sprint Exhaust

Hi

I just bought this car and reckon that the standard exhaust particularly the headers look really restrictive. Just wondered if anybody else might have put extractors on a sprint and if they would make much difference. I dunno if ford changed the headers on the sprints to get the extra power did they?

Also im thinking a big single system over the current smallish looking twin system? any ideas?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-17-2001, 23:55   #2 (permalink)
anakha

Sprint Exhaust

I cant speak for others but my Sprint has a twin 2 1/2" system with an H-pipe and Genie headers. There is 1 cat and 1 muffler on each side and it sounds good ( at least everyone tells me so, hehe). Performance wise I cant compare to stock since I bought it like that but I can say that last night I managed a 14.325 @ 95.3mph at Eastern Creek on street tyres with a race weight of ~ 1680kg. Mine is manual btw. The only other engine mods are a K&N filter and additional airduct to the airbox.
Old 10-18-2001, 18:01   #3 (permalink)
Hinchi

Sprint Exhaust

Sounds like I might have to go with something like that. Took the car to a radiator joint today to get what i thought was a little leak fixed and apparently the whole thing is rooted, so they are putting in a big 3 core jobbie, so I will have to wait a few more months for the exhaust. Mine is a 5spd too, so ill have to give u a run when im legally allowed to drive it :)
Old 05-12-2002, 01:04   #4 (permalink)
cosworth1971

sprint exhaust

ive got a sprint with genie headers two cats and single 3" it sounds good how do u run two pipes out the back ,the same side are they does your sprint hesitate on the throttle im having problems not much power below 2500 really comes on at 3000 see engine diagnosis under cosworth1971 any feed back would be gretly appreciated
Old 05-19-2002, 00:10   #5 (permalink)
EvilGhia

Exhaust System

anakha your exhaust on your sprint should be a dual 2 1/4" going back to a single 2 1/2" at the back unless you have an afftermarket exhaust. The reason why ford didn't release the dual 2 1/2" exhaust on them is because of their lower then standard ride hight, which would cause the bottoming out of the exhaust system.

Hinchi stick with your sprint exhaust & just get your mufflers replaced. Both Gennie Tornados or Walker DynoMax are excelent mufflers providing good sound & excellent flow capability. As for the extractors they are all good, brands like Genie & Pacemaker standing out from the rest. HM is also good but why pay more for same or not much power gain over Genies & Pacemakers. HM Produces extractors & exhaust systems for AU XR models.

A single 3" exhaust is good but with straight through mufflers it will be louder then a dual exhaust system with the same type mufflers & you will find that the car is drawing unnecessary attention with the police.

cosworth1971

"ive got a sprint with genie headers two cats and single 3" it sounds good how do u run two pipes out the back ,"

You don't, the exhaust is dual up to the differential and affter the diff it goes into a single system. It's imposible to fit dual exhaust with dual pipes on fords because the petrol tank is in the way. For your power problem you will also find out that the engine flat spots with the better exhaust system. To fix this you will need to fit an afftermarket chip in your computer or a piggy back module. I would sugest Unichip because they program your car on the dyno since I don't believe that One Chip Suits All which is the case with some companies when it comes to afftermarket chips.
Old 05-27-2002, 20:55   #6 (permalink)
HOTdbZ

Re: Exhaust System

One question, I'm kinda curious what the police 'bit'....coz I'v got a bloody straight thru system on my AUXR6 and it roars!!!!

I've blasted thru stationary patrol cars but they don't seem to care. Now that you've said this, I think I better go 'quiet as a mouse' next time round when I spot a patrol car....plus I've got huge twin tips at the back...a killer giveaway....
Old 06-01-2002, 19:07   #7 (permalink)
Aussie Falcon Enthusiast

EvilGhia

Indee it is an aftermarket job, designed by Hitech.

As to dual pipes out the back it is possible, mine does. The left hand pipe goes up over the axle, takes a 90" turn to the right, meets up next to the right pipe and runs in parallel out to the back.

It is a tight fit and occasionally the pipe has rubbed with the axle housing but it fits. I'd some better designed pipework would do it with no rubbing at all.
anakha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2002, 10:18   #8 (permalink)

Sprint Exhaust

I have seen that dual exhaust that comes out with dual pipes on one side & my personal opinion is that the exaust (sound wise) it's shit. I don't mean any disrespect to the owners of the system but the proper dual exhaust is where two pipes come out on both left & right side of the car there for the other system can't be clasified as a dual exhaust...A proper dual exhaust is imposible on the EA-EL (Not Sure for AU) because the pipe will never clear the petrol tank...
I8AHSV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2002, 17:09   #9 (permalink)
gone

I agree

love to see a decent exhaust made that came out from left and right of the car
laminge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2002, 05:55   #10 (permalink)
Two SC 61's = trouble

IMO twin each side is old stuff. The modern way is one side..From what I have seen of Hi tech it's good quality...
Twin each side is for H.O's etc but thats just my "opinion" o/k.
Like putting sash windows on a new house!!
Passengers, myocardial infarction material..
R.I.P Possum...
ebxr8240 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Exhaust