Ford Forums banner

T3 std exhaust

1K views 7 replies 4 participants last post by  Noddy 
#1 ·
I have been tossing up the idea of changing the std system for quite some time but looking at the factory headers and system it doesn't look all that bad for a oem setup although way too quiet.

I have seen D&T's work before and the sound they produce with their own brand mufflers is very nice. D&T recommended not to change the headers as they are good 4-1's which i was surprised to hear.

Is the std pipework mandrell bent or press bent?

The car is an auto, they suggested either the same 2.25" system or 2.50" pipework.

Instead of throwing the std headers away i might just do a catback unit first and do a before and after dyno run to see if there are any gain/ losses in power and torque.

#3 ·
Gambit said:
Speak to sbutler & a few of the other T3 boys.They are all running hurricane tri-y headers & wont use anything else.
Thanks Gammit, Yeah i've read their postings and know that they have made gains in kw's but what are the std systems pro/cons? I am sure tickford did a fair amount of r&d with the std system.
As i mentioned d&t have emailed me and said that the std 4-1 headers are good and not to bother changing them and seeing that their main game is making custom exhausts i thought that their comments have some merit.

I know most exhaust shops advise to ditch the std headers and opt for pacies or similar but then they would. I don't want to throw something away unless it has been proven to be inferior....pacies fitted are basically half the total price of a full system.
As i get around in a wheelchair i can't inspect the system myself. That's why i'm asking if the rest of the std system is press or mandral bent? :s4

#4 ·
Just out of curiosity i did a power run at 2500klms at it ran 245rwhp (auto). Did one about half an hour ago with 8000klms travelled and it ran 265.2rwhp. I'd say the cooler weather has had an influence. Engine starting to loosen a little. Hey does that mean when i've done another 6000klms i'll gain another 20hp;)

#5 ·
They dont seem to go there best till about 20000Ks as for exhaust, the standed 4into1 Tickford headers are very good, but the Hurracains will give a heap more bottem end, then if you go for the rest of the system you'll pick up top end. With the hole system you can expect 15to18 rwkw, then 4-6 for a K&N with those two mods you'll get an about 20rwkw. The big thing is the bottem end you can get with the right extracters.
Have a look at the thread T3 power gains, it give all the numbers......

#7 ·
Big Stan said:
Noddy - Bobbie Beedham suggested a 2.5" mandrel bent cat-back system for my T3. He wasn't sure what power increase I'd get (said he'd done a couple but no-one had done a before and after dyno). He also suggested that I leave the standard headers in place.
If Bob dose a cat back system you will definatly pick up, he knows his stuff, but to get the most get some Hurricaine extracters as well, if your gonna do it ya may as well go all the way.......

#8 ·
Big Stan said:
Noddy - Bobbie Beedham suggested a 2.5" mandrel bent cat-back system for my T3. He wasn't sure what power increase I'd get (said he'd done a couple but no-one had done a before and after dyno). He also suggested that I leave the standard headers in place.
Funny, when i spoke to him he said he would only do press bend, not mandrel.

I had a cat back system fitted on friday. I will post more details later.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.