thinkin about dual exhaust.... - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
» Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Exhaust
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-08-2001, 02:48   #1 (permalink)

thinkin about dual exhaust....

ok....i was think of goin with dual exhaust but dont have many ideas. can anyone w/dual exhaust or anyone who knows what there doin help me out!?!?!?! i already know about the spare wheel well comin out, but want to know what brands would be the best to go with, and/or any other mods....thanks for all replies
proberidergt is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-08-2001, 05:18   #2 (permalink)
Mazda MX6 Member

What year and model car do you have? 4Cyl or 6 Cyl
mazdamx6pwr.co is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2001, 16:04   #3 (permalink)
It's been a long time...

you can either use a single inlet/dual outlet muffler, such as the z28's. or you can use two separate mufflers. after a y-pipe.
1995 Black PGT, NOS dry 75-shot, heater, blanket, purge, remote, K&N, Hotshot, back to stock manifolds, no cat, 2 1/2" cat-back, Flowmaster 40-series, Walbro 190, ACT, B&M sts, Royal Purple, Intrax, Ractive fstb, RRE rstb, MSD wires, NGK-v plugs, Autometer guages, 17" rims, full FX Designs kit, etc..
c-man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2001, 16:09   #4 (permalink)
190km/h

I'm going with the dual outlet, single inlet muffler strategy... and i'm keeping the spare tire well. :)
Old 12-08-2001, 23:20   #5 (permalink)

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally posted by 190km/h
I'm going with the dual outlet, single inlet muffler strategy... and i'm keeping the spare tire well. :)
Good plan, IMO. cutting out the tire well has always seemed like a bad idea to me..
skelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2001, 21:27   #6 (permalink)
Mazda MX6 Member

yeah, plus the y-pipe exhaust adds weight, so it kinda defeats the purpose, so the single inlet, dual outlet deal makes the most sense.
a question on a question though, do the headers join, or are they two pcs until they hit the cat? would it be feasable to run a true H pipe setup all the way back. sorry, I'm a 4cyl owner.
current project: finishing up stereo (subs), makin a cai
down the road projects: exhaust (xmas??), rims, paint job
00 neon mtx
***For Sale***
Street Glow Hyper-Whites, Remote control fogs, Alarm, fake carbon fiber pedals and shifter, crossfire rims, spoiler.
splink48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2001, 22:49   #7 (permalink)
It's been a long time...

Quote:
Originally posted by splink48

a question on a question though, do the headers join, or are they two pcs until they hit the cat? would it be feasable to run a true H pipe setup all the way back. sorry, I'm a 4cyl owner.
Headers are joined by y-pipe and join into one pipe that hits the cat. I think true dual exhaust would be good on f/i applications, other than that it might be overkill. You would have to fabricate your own pipes coming off each bank of headers. Then run 2 pipes down from the header banks into individual cats and mufflers. Connect them with a X/H pipe. I don't think most v6 will put out enough power to require this. A good single set-up should work just as well.
1995 Black PGT, NOS dry 75-shot, heater, blanket, purge, remote, K&N, Hotshot, back to stock manifolds, no cat, 2 1/2" cat-back, Flowmaster 40-series, Walbro 190, ACT, B&M sts, Royal Purple, Intrax, Ractive fstb, RRE rstb, MSD wires, NGK-v plugs, Autometer guages, 17" rims, full FX Designs kit, etc..
c-man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2001, 03:09   #8 (permalink)

i have a gt.....but i think i will go with the y-pipe and dual mufflers.... not 100% sure though, anything else i should know about????
proberidergt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2001, 10:33   #9 (permalink)
Mazda MX6 Member

I'd ward you against the Y setup. Yeah, it looks cool, but its an overall loss. you'll be dividing the same pressure air into two mufflers when you can get by with only one. you'll have that one muffler workin harder syndrome too unless you split perfectly in the middle. plus an extra muffler means extra weight, so you'll end up in the same situation as before...either:relatively small gain, no gain, or loss of hp. plus you have to deal with backpressure issues, which, on the gt, aren't so difficult to deal with. do what you want though. it really does look cool to have dual exhaust on our cars, but it does depend on what you're going for as well: fast and furious or legitimate speed mod.

c-man: thanks for the info!
current project: finishing up stereo (subs), makin a cai
down the road projects: exhaust (xmas??), rims, paint job
00 neon mtx
***For Sale***
Street Glow Hyper-Whites, Remote control fogs, Alarm, fake carbon fiber pedals and shifter, crossfire rims, spoiler.
splink48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2001, 11:06   #10 (permalink)
190km/h

confused

Here's a question for ya: my setup will be with the dual outlet muffler aligned like the stock muffler, one outlet facing towards the front of the car and one towards the back. The back outlet will have a pipe that goes back, left, and then forward, and the muffler will be tucked up as high as possible to hide it.

ie:
____
|......|.|
|......[X]
|......[X]
|......|
^.....^

ASCII ART 0wnZ j00!!!

But here's the question: will the exhaust come evenly out of both pipes all the time, or just one? Or will it come out of one at idle but come out of both at WOT? Does anybody know?

BTW, I'm using a Dynomax Super Turbo muffler... i would use an ultra flow, but i'm running without a cat or resonator, just pipe after the turbo.. don't want to sound like a lawnmower, thank you very much. :)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Exhaust