Ford Forums banner

What exhausts are you guys with 6's running ?

13K views 88 replies 39 participants last post by  Mini Me 
#1 ·
Hey guys.
I just picked up my new 4.0l 5 speed EF Futura a week or so back and the first thing to go is the stock exhaust system.

I've got prices for a 2.5" mandrel bent cat back system for $280-300. I'll probably look at extractors down the track when I get get more cash. I spend pretty much everything I had on buying the car after getting ripped off by the insurance co. with my last car. Anyway... I'm tossing up whether to run a rear resonator or just run a single muffler. The exhaust bloke said it works out the same price (apparently the over axle mandrel bend is a dollar or 2 more expensive than the resonator?). Will it be too loud like this ? The guy reckons being a manual it'll be ok (???) but I don't wanna get booked. I had pretty much the same system on my old car but with a resonator and it wasn't very loud at all.

So what are your suggestions guys ? What sort of setups are you running ? Is it definitely worth getting extractors down the track?

#2 ·
yes get the extractors, they help improve bottom end power somewhat, torque is also improved with fitment of extractors. But if you lifters, valvetrain etc etc are making a noise now, you wont be happy with new headers, they amplify the noice ten fold, and really shit you.

As for the cat back, one muffler only sounds like absolute shite, dronas all day long, gives you a headache and annoys everyone around you. Definately fit a resonator in the rear end.

My system consists p/maker headers into a 2.5" hiflow cat, into 2.5" press bent with one centre offset muffle, into 2.25" over the diff, into a 2.25" hotdog muffler (it is not a resonator) and then out the back with a GAY 3" tip that im still yet to remove (bastards!)

Has a nice burble sometimes, doesnt drone on the freeway, gave me more low down torque (hill climbing, accel from 100) and then it really boots at around 3000rpm.

Setup cost me $750 in total.

Dont waste your money with stainless cat back, doesnt matter if its pressed or mandrel (its a ****en 6cyl, its not an 8, its not blown, press will do!)

or save your money, change mufflers only, factory pipe will keep you happy, and then save for new headers.

My 2c

*let the abuse begin*

#3 ·
I've got a 2 1/2inch system cat back, the front part of the exhaust system is a Mercury 2 1/2inch mandrel bent with a small resonator just after the cat and a muffler. The rear half is a lukey again mandrel bent with a muffler under the bumper.

What south says is dead right, without the rear muffler/hotdog it will droan big time and get real annoying.

#4 ·
g'day mate, I have a AU2, with a full system. I have stainless mandrel bent from the cat back with mild extractors (stainless extractors can create to much under bonnet heat).

I would definately recommend going for extractors as soon as money permits!!

I only have one muffler on my system, its a tiny genie turbo muffler, and holy *@%$ does it make some noise. It sounds awesome with some acceleration, but I think it drones a little at freeway driving. I am about to stick a resonator in the middle, to cut down on this drone and bring the noise to a level which is less likely for the neighbours to complain :) (cant drive it before 9 or after 10 lol) But yeah, trust me, if you are going to go for a single after axel muffler, and its only small, it WILL be LOUD!

#5 ·
Gday

I have Jim Mock Racing extractors with 2 1/2" system with standed ford cat.
Once on the dyno, my EL pumped out 129rwkw from around 100rwkw.
That was with mates rates as well. But would cost you about $900.
The sound you have after is sweet.

Thats what I have on my EL GLi.

G
#6 ·
I have a Mandrel 3 inch racing exhaust with no cat convertor ;) (shhhhh! :)) and it growls ;)

I also have police suspension from the XR6 Chasers (EF) and those are the only mods to the engine. I wanna get extractors later on, because the Outlet manifolds are too restrictive in the EF-EL range..

Yagz

#7 ·
lEAsh said:
Gday

I have Jim Mock Racing extractors with 2 1/2" system with standed ford cat.
Once on the dyno, my EL pumped out 129rwkw from around 100rwkw.
That was with mates rates as well. But would cost you about $900.
The sound you have after is sweet.

Thats what I have on my EL GLi.
mate, 29 RWK's??!! have you had this dynoed any where else?? did you do any other sort of mode before having it re-dynoed?? that is one hell of an increase! they struggle to pull that from the gen 3's which love exhaust mods

#8 ·
The system I had fitted to the ed 1st was a set of genie extractors - standard cat - resonator adjacent to cat, to single muffler(in front of rear axle) all in 2 1/2".
This sytem worked quite nicely, & also had a very nice burble not to it. I have since lowered the suspension which necessitated removal of the resonator at the front( It was just way too low) With the resonator gone the note is a lot more "nasal", can't say I like it that way one bit.
Within the next few weeks I'll be replacing the entire exhaust system, extractors, cat, 2 1/2" mandrel bent system.
The retail for a 2 1/2 mandrel bent system is around the 250-300 mark, and should bolt straight on(both walker & redback make these for ea onwards - fairly sure right up to au)

#10 ·
Hyena said:
Hey guys.
I just picked up my new 4.0l 5 speed EF Futura a week or so back and the first thing to go is the stock exhaust system.

So what are your suggestions guys ? What sort of setups are you running ? Is it definitely worth getting extractors down the track?
My EF wagon runs the standard three muffler+cat exhaust, I've been told to run extractors (I'm thinking either Pacemakers or Herrods) and run a 2.5" two muffler system. The standard cat will stay - price all up is around 700-800 (add around 4-500 more for stainless)

Is it worth it ohh yeah don't forget it's not only more power it's a lot better fuel economy etc

Paul B
XR6WGN

#12 ·
A 2-1/2" mandrel bent system should cost you between $280 - $300 depending on how quiet you want it. Loud = $280, quiet = $320.

The variations are: (from loudest to quietest)

Single muffler - drones its head off
Single Muffler and one resonator
Single Muffler and 2 resonators
Single Muffler and Muffler type resonator
Single muffler, one hotdog resonator, one muffler type resonator

If its not an XR, I would go for option 3 or 4 which will not drone as much inside the car.

Everyones taste for noise and drone is different, especially if you are married!!!

Hope this helps.

#13 ·
Thanks for the replies guys.

I had a 2.5" cat back system on my last car (VN V6 manual) which was a single muffler and single resonator. It was fairly quiet inside the car but had a totally different sound outside and was frequently mistaken for a V8 - which was fine with me :) I was happy with the sound of this set up but this time around I want something a bit louder, although not if it's going to be annoyingly droning.

How about this for an idea ? I guess it depends where abouts you fit the resonator - but how about if I get a straight thru single muffler system with a segment in a straight section that I can bolt either a straight pipe into or a resonator ?? Reasonable idea or am I off with the pixies ? :)

#14 ·
Im running just a single muffler, certainly doesnt drone at all, some people might regard it as being loud, but I dont think its all that bad. Ive ridden in cars that are MUCH worse.....

Its a Lukey muffler if it makes any difference.

#15 ·
The system I'm looking at is redback brand. I don't know if thats the brand of the muffler as well but I'd assume it is as the exhaust bloke said its a prefab system and only takes about 20 minutes to fit. I'm not exactly sure how it works though because he said the cost is the same if I want a single muffler or one with a resonator - apparently the extra over axle mandrel bend is the same cost as the resonator ? So how do I get the option of having it either way ? Maybe they're only pre-fab to an extent ?

#16 ·
Some people may not agree with me here, but I have always thought that redback was a cheap brand for cars wanting noise and not alot of go, which is fine if thats what you want, however somepeople do swear by it...

#17 ·
younggun said:
Some people may not agree with me here, but I have always thought that redback was a cheap brand for cars wanting noise and not alot of go, which is fine if thats what you want, however somepeople do swear by it...
Look there is nothing magical about exhaust systems. It's just pipes, bends and mufflers and some mufflers might sound louder/crappier than others but aslong as it's a proper straight-thru and there is little restriction to the airflow it's not gonna have any less 'go' than something that cost twice as much.

#18 ·
That's what I was going to say - how can there be that much differece between similar systems ? The one I'm looking at is mandrel bent all the way with a straight through muffler. The only restriction is going to be through the muffler itself and the differences between brands would be negligable.

#19 ·
It all comes down to what sound each one will make. Some say glass packed is better, some say steel wool packed is better.

When it comes to the design of a turbo muffler from different companies that can make it or break it. In the case of a 6cyl your going to use a straight thru muffler, or a centre offset (same things, just ones not so loud) so you can use a cheapo brand and it might sound shite, or you can use an expensive brand and it might sound shite. You just have to keep trying till you get it right.

By the way, dont use a resonator, too much of a restriction. Use a small hotdog MUFFLER in the back, reduces noise by 80% (my opinion going from single muffler, to muff + hotdog) and has no restriction.

my 2c

#20 ·
I got pacemaker extractors, going into a 3 inch system, mandrel bent, stainless, then to a stainless muff, and lastly a Magnaflow resonator at the back. Car is getting dyno'ed this Sat at a Dyno shootout....I'm hoping for good numbers.

#22 ·
Its amazing how much crap you guys (& gals) are being fed.

1. Pipe with no resonator = cheaper than with resonator

2. Walker = Lukey = Crap. The Redback mufflers are far better quality. They weigh more which is added steel and fibreglass. Most Redback (REAR) Mufflers have stainless steel end plates so they last longer.

3. Redback front is single muffler. Redback rear is the option of hotdog resonator, or muffler type resonator. The hotdog is louder and should be fine for your car.

4. Redback front and no resonator will drone.

Say after me: Hotdog = Resonator.

A Hotdog will only reduce noise by 3db if you are lucky, not 80%.

A mufflers quietening ability is largely dependant on the volume of the can. The bigger the can, the quieter and less drone.

The amount and type of packing has a large effect on noise. The less weight, the less materials and the more raspy and barky the muffler is. The more packing the smoother the sound.

Genie have 2 types of bases for their extractors. Short base the same as everyone else and a long base. The long secondaries mean that the cat is moved further away from the enging giving better performance.

Hope this helps !!!

#23 ·
PigDog said:

Look there is nothing magical about exhaust systems. It's just pipes, bends and mufflers and some mufflers might sound louder/crappier than others but aslong as it's a proper straight-thru and there is little restriction to the airflow it's not gonna have any less 'go' than something that cost twice as much.
Actually there IS plenty that is "magical" about exhausts.
Much research and development goes into producing an exhaust system. Exacting science as far as gas flows and pressures, determining the appropiate size, shape and length of the extractor tubes and the size of the muffler/resonator and the overall length of the system.
All these points must be "right" to obtain a desired outcome, whether it is more torque, kw, fuel efficiency etc.

Maybe someone else can expand on this but it is definately not just a matter of throwing "any pipe and muffler on"

#24 ·
mbrown42 said:

Actually there IS plenty that is "magical" about exhausts.
Much research and development goes into producing an exhaust system. Exacting science as far as gas flows and pressures, determining the appropiate size, shape and length of the extractor tubes and the size of the muffler/resonator and the overall length of the system.
For the extractor design yes i agree with you but once the exhaust gasses past thru the collectors, cats and then the main muffler the issue of pulse scavenging is pretty much over. Size of the muffler is pretty much irrelevant (except for noise differences) as long as it's straight-thru and offers no restriction to the airflow. In a late model car the overall length of the system is pretty much pre-determined by the overall length of the car as there's usually not that many ways to route the exhaust unless u want some schick side pipes :)

Anyway that's just my little opinion

#25 ·
Thunder: I had my one muffler setup for 5 days, and within those 5 days everytime i drove the car i got tired, a big headache and cursed the new exhaust system, you would drive along on a flat road and it would drone, you would climb a slight incline and it would drone even louder, you would climb a hill and it would be even louder.

I let the carbon build up in the new system which has a quieting affect, made no difference.

I took it back to the guy and he put a hotdog muffler on, 3db is **** all noise and my car does not drone anymore, does not make me tired, and does not give me a headache, the noise it produces is well over 50% less than the single muffler i had.

Do some research before you contradict what my own ears and body tell me.

#26 ·
South said:
Thunder: I had my one muffler setup for 5 days, and within those 5 days everytime i drove the car i got tired, a big headache and cursed the new exhaust system, you would drive along on a flat road and it would drone, you would climb a slight incline and it would drone even louder, you would climb a hill and it would be even louder.

I let the carbon build up in the new system which has a quieting affect, made no difference.

I took it back to the guy and he put a hotdog muffler on, 3db is **** all noise and my car does not drone anymore, does not make me tired, and does not give me a headache, the noise it produces is well over 50% less than the single muffler i had.

Do some research before you contradict what my own ears and body tell me.
80% is now down to 50%, thats 40% less already !!!

A small hotdog does bugger all in regards to noise, the longer the hotdog the better. A 12" - 14" is all you can get on the back of a Ford.

A resonators sole purpose in life is to reduce resonant sound waves - or drone. Therefore even though it only reduces noise by 3 - 4 db it is doing its job by reducing the drone. Remember, drone is the noise inside the car and it may be reduced quite substantially, but outside the car there may be little effect on noise.

Noise doubles every 6db, so a 3db reduction is 50% less!!!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.