What exhausts are you guys with 6's running ? - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Exhaust
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-01-2002, 07:31   #1 (permalink)
Mob Sh!tter Extrodinaire

Question What exhausts are you guys with 6's running ?

Hey guys.
I just picked up my new 4.0l 5 speed EF Futura a week or so back and the first thing to go is the stock exhaust system.

I've got prices for a 2.5" mandrel bent cat back system for $280-300. I'll probably look at extractors down the track when I get get more cash. I spend pretty much everything I had on buying the car after getting ripped off by the insurance co. with my last car. Anyway... I'm tossing up whether to run a rear resonator or just run a single muffler. The exhaust bloke said it works out the same price (apparently the over axle mandrel bend is a dollar or 2 more expensive than the resonator?). Will it be too loud like this ? The guy reckons being a manual it'll be ok (???) but I don't wanna get booked. I had pretty much the same system on my old car but with a resonator and it wasn't very loud at all.

So what are your suggestions guys ? What sort of setups are you running ? Is it definitely worth getting extractors down the track?
Hyena is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-01-2002, 09:31   #2 (permalink)
Dreamer

yes get the extractors, they help improve bottom end power somewhat, torque is also improved with fitment of extractors. But if you lifters, valvetrain etc etc are making a noise now, you wont be happy with new headers, they amplify the noice ten fold, and really shit you.

As for the cat back, one muffler only sounds like absolute shite, dronas all day long, gives you a headache and annoys everyone around you. Definately fit a resonator in the rear end.

My system consists p/maker headers into a 2.5" hiflow cat, into 2.5" press bent with one centre offset muffle, into 2.25" over the diff, into a 2.25" hotdog muffler (it is not a resonator) and then out the back with a GAY 3" tip that im still yet to remove (bastards!)

Has a nice burble sometimes, doesnt drone on the freeway, gave me more low down torque (hill climbing, accel from 100) and then it really boots at around 3000rpm.

Setup cost me $750 in total.

Dont waste your money with stainless cat back, doesnt matter if its pressed or mandrel (its a ****en 6cyl, its not an 8, its not blown, press will do!)

or save your money, change mufflers only, factory pipe will keep you happy, and then save for new headers.

My 2c

*let the abuse begin*
South is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2002, 23:04   #3 (permalink)
T5 Expert Operator

I've got a 2 1/2inch system cat back, the front part of the exhaust system is a Mercury 2 1/2inch mandrel bent with a small resonator just after the cat and a muffler. The rear half is a lukey again mandrel bent with a muffler under the bumper.

What south says is dead right, without the rear muffler/hotdog it will droan big time and get real annoying.

AUII Late Ed XR6 HP T5 Venom- Full Tickford Body Kit, 17in Wheels, Herrod Bi-plane Spoiler, Momo Steer/Gear, T-Series Interior Options, Premium Stereo and a very light-tuned 4.0L I6

(FPV-Tickford Club of NSW Member and Co-Founding Member of 3FB Inc, Ford Forums Food Bandits)
XR_Strider_GuY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2002, 23:57   #4 (permalink)
Boat Hunting ;)

g'day mate, I have a AU2, with a full system. I have stainless mandrel bent from the cat back with mild extractors (stainless extractors can create to much under bonnet heat).

I would definately recommend going for extractors as soon as money permits!!

I only have one muffler on my system, its a tiny genie turbo muffler, and holy *@%$ does it make some noise. It sounds awesome with some acceleration, but I think it drones a little at freeway driving. I am about to stick a resonator in the middle, to cut down on this drone and bring the noise to a level which is less likely for the neighbours to complain :-) (cant drive it before 9 or after 10 lol) But yeah, trust me, if you are going to go for a single after axel muffler, and its only small, it WILL be LOUD!
AU2 S-pack Owner: Silhouette Black, XR6 Wheels, Tickford Sunroof, C2R rear bar, Checker Plate Floor Mats, Chrome Door Sills, Blue Backlite Dash, Blue Painted Brake Callipers, Advanced Extractors, Magnaflow High Flow Cat, 2.5" Stainless Steel Mandrel Bent Custom Exhaust, Genie Muffler. Sony Explode 50w x 4 deck, Kenwood 140w speakers (front and rear), Boss 1200 watt Amplifier, 12" Orion Sub in custom box. More To Come!!
younggun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2002, 01:00   #5 (permalink)

Gday

I have Jim Mock Racing extractors with 2 1/2" system with standed ford cat.
Once on the dyno, my EL pumped out 129rwkw from around 100rwkw.
That was with mates rates as well. But would cost you about $900.
The sound you have after is sweet.

Thats what I have on my EL GLi.
lEAsh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2002, 01:12   #6 (permalink)
EFXR62

I have a Mandrel 3 inch racing exhaust with no cat convertor (shhhhh! :)) and it growls

I also have police suspension from the XR6 Chasers (EF) and those are the only mods to the engine. I wanna get extractors later on, because the Outlet manifolds are too restrictive in the EF-EL range..

Yagz
Old 10-02-2002, 01:20   #7 (permalink)
Boat Hunting ;)

Quote:
Originally posted by lEAsh
Gday

I have Jim Mock Racing extractors with 2 1/2" system with standed ford cat.
Once on the dyno, my EL pumped out 129rwkw from around 100rwkw.
That was with mates rates as well. But would cost you about $900.
The sound you have after is sweet.

Thats what I have on my EL GLi.
mate, 29 RWK's??!! have you had this dynoed any where else?? did you do any other sort of mode before having it re-dynoed?? that is one hell of an increase! they struggle to pull that from the gen 3's which love exhaust mods
AU2 S-pack Owner: Silhouette Black, XR6 Wheels, Tickford Sunroof, C2R rear bar, Checker Plate Floor Mats, Chrome Door Sills, Blue Backlite Dash, Blue Painted Brake Callipers, Advanced Extractors, Magnaflow High Flow Cat, 2.5" Stainless Steel Mandrel Bent Custom Exhaust, Genie Muffler. Sony Explode 50w x 4 deck, Kenwood 140w speakers (front and rear), Boss 1200 watt Amplifier, 12" Orion Sub in custom box. More To Come!!
younggun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2002, 01:44   #8 (permalink)
Australian ED XR6 Member

The system I had fitted to the ed 1st was a set of genie extractors - standard cat - resonator adjacent to cat, to single muffler(in front of rear axle) all in 2 1/2".
This sytem worked quite nicely, & also had a very nice burble not to it. I have since lowered the suspension which necessitated removal of the resonator at the front( It was just way too low) With the resonator gone the note is a lot more "nasal", can't say I like it that way one bit.
Within the next few weeks I'll be replacing the entire exhaust system, extractors, cat, 2 1/2" mandrel bent system.
The retail for a 2 1/2 mandrel bent system is around the 250-300 mark, and should bolt straight on(both walker & redback make these for ea onwards - fairly sure right up to au)
Wulos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2002, 01:46   #9 (permalink)

I also got a XR Snockel, also tuned the motor, new sparkplugs n leads. Thats pretty much it, before I only got round 115rwkw.
lEAsh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2002, 04:01   #10 (permalink)

Re: What exhausts are you guys with 6's running ?

Quote:
Originally posted by Hyena
Hey guys.
I just picked up my new 4.0l 5 speed EF Futura a week or so back and the first thing to go is the stock exhaust system.

So what are your suggestions guys ? What sort of setups are you running ? Is it definitely worth getting extractors down the track?
My EF wagon runs the standard three muffler+cat exhaust, I've been told to run extractors (I'm thinking either Pacemakers or Herrods) and run a 2.5" two muffler system. The standard cat will stay - price all up is around 700-800 (add around 4-500 more for stainless)

Is it worth it ohh yeah don't forget it's not only more power it's a lot better fuel economy etc

Paul B
XR6WGN
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Exhaust