XAGT exhaust question for a novice...on my gt. - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Exhaust
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-02-2004, 06:02   #1 (permalink)
Yellow Glow XA GT

XAGT exhaust question for a novice...on my gt.

Guys hi,

ok, question....

Do the resonators in exhausts go in before or after the engine work, ie, do the resonators just quieten down the car or is it a performance issue?
(Car is way too loud, has new exhausts APPARENTLY)

The cars going to be tuned up and sorted, but i thought if there's no effect, i'd get the exhausts done first... but asking your opinions..

Dad doesn't like driving the car from one shop to the other too much and would hate for the guys to say "should do the exhausts/tune up first" and have to drive more illegal unneccessary miles.

Thanks for your help.

For those that don't know i'm not in australia, hence asking q's here first and giving info to the old man. (Who is in australia).

Mick.

I admit I know nothing at all about motors... and hence the reason I'm asking here!!!!!!!!! thanks and regards.

The cars details and some specs are here on this link...
http://www.geocities.com/abiggekko/
Advertisement

Old 10-02-2004, 06:59   #2 (permalink)
slikxb

Re: XAGT exhaust question for a novice...on my gt.

Do your exhuast first, to your desired sound level (90db's is legal). Then tune it. It wouldn't make a great deal of difference in a street car, but in a drag car for instance a change in exhaust backpressure usually needs a change in engine tune, therefore it would be arse about to do it the other way. Your exhuast will effect your tune (which can be changed), your tune will NOT effect your exhuast (which won't change)
buzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2004, 07:09   #3 (permalink)
Yellow Glow XA GT

Buzz thanks... its been a debate between myself and my father over the phone... i understood the resonators (Correct me if i'm wrong - they are the soundproofing in exhausts?????) did not make a difference to back pressure???
Like I said... i'm a total novice... this is only my second car.... i'm 30, and the first car was only with me between the ages 17-19.
I haven't needed a car since then... i work overseas. My mother may know more about cars than I .... but hey... at least I'm honest... whahahahhhahaha....

Thanks Buzz, could you give me a quick explanation of how the resonators work if you have time and you know??

Mick.
Old 10-02-2004, 15:53   #4 (permalink)
The Deputy Dogg.

If i were you you i would not do anything until you hear it for yourself, your opinion of of loud may not match your dad's, imagine if you come back to Aus to drive it, and he has it sounding like a Camry !!
falcon coupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2004, 16:32   #5 (permalink)
Ford Appreciation Society

Some resonators do affect performance. Any idea as to how loud it currently is???

I agree with falcon coupe, and get it done when you are back in Australia.
Old 10-02-2004, 16:44   #6 (permalink)
socially irresponsible

Hi Mick,

resonators were fitted just after the engine pipes, about where the transmission mount is and mufflers are just before the pipes go up over the diff. maybe instead of resonators you can fit offset,offset mufflers instead of straight through (if this is what you've got now) this will quiet it down a bit.
offset mufflers enter and exit on opposite sides and have three chambers inside, thus slowing gas flow.
i have these on a 2" system and are fine while idling around town but sound great when getting over 2000rpm, get a nice cackle to them as well when backing off.
JG33PY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2004, 18:30   #7 (permalink)
Yellow Glow XA GT

Thanks guys...

It's loud as in ILLEGALLY LOUD!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I'll give the exhaust mob a call on Wednesday, when it should be at their shop.
I can't wait till i'm back, as i'm only back for 4 days... so i want it all done before hand.
Falcon coupe--> don't worry... she wont sound like a camry... not with 400hp+ lol!!

Cheers,

Mick.
Old 10-02-2004, 18:50   #8 (permalink)
74 XB Fairmont

Mick,

It's not hard to kill a 400hp engine with an exhaust. You can quite easily restrict it so much you may as well put a stock engine in.

Basically you'd need twin 2 1/2" system with a H pipe (to quieten things down). No H or X pipe = loud. You can run triple flow mufflers to quieten it too. I run triple flows myself. I found straight throughs too damn loud. My car gets daily driven so too loud isn't a good option. I run no resonators at all. You shouldn't have to if the mufflers are any good.

Magnaflow or magnaflow stainless steel straigh throughs aren't loud. They give off a deep rumble.

As everyone else has said exhaust then tune.

Brenden
Old 10-02-2004, 20:16   #9 (permalink)
Yellow Glow XA GT

Brenx hi,
Just looked back at the previous emails between the old owner and myself.
He stated the exhaust needed "Balance pipe for exhaust as too loud."[I]
To clarify, the exhaust/mufflers/extractors are all new, and motor has had 10k spent on it before I got it... runs smooth, perfect oil pressure etc. Just too damn loud!
Again sorry for the dumbass questions, I don't know much about cars at all.
I'm prepared to spend money at mechanics/exhaust just wanting to know from all your experience.... I'm not into cutting corners.. but knowledge is a great power.
Mick.
Old 10-02-2004, 20:21   #10 (permalink)

Sounds like its too loud for your DAD. Tell him to turn his hearing aid down
I changed from a stockish twin 2" to a twin 2.5" with an X-pipe and the difference was incredible. Eg: car went from not beaing able to spin the wheels fom a standing start to ripping them up, just from the exhaust change. (its an auto) Now has 267 rwhp, dont have a before exhaust figure.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Exhaust