XR6 Exhaust Setup TwinSystem(tm) - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
» Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Exhaust
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-16-2002, 21:46   #1 (permalink)
T5 Expert Operator

Question XR6 Exhaust Setup TwinSystem(tm)

I've been doing abit of research as to what is the ideal exhaust setup for the AU XR6.

To my suprise it seems a twin setup like the VCT is the way to go to extract the most power out of an exhaust.
Basically after the cat the exhuast is split into 2 pipes and it also incorporates an equaliser pipe (pipe with a blocked end).

I always thought that a 2 1/2inch cat back system was the best for the Inline 6's.

If a cat back 2 1/2inch exhaust returns a extra 8kw at the wheels
(tested on my EF) then i'm curious how much more the twin setup will yeild.
So contrasting the VCT to HP it could well be the exhaust thats making the power difference between 172kw and 164kw.
Seems Herrods are also going this twin system setup for the 6's.

AUII Late Ed XR6 HP T5 Venom- Full Tickford Body Kit, 17in Wheels, Herrod Bi-plane Spoiler, Momo Steer/Gear, T-Series Interior Options, Premium Stereo and a very light-tuned 4.0L I6

(FPV-Tickford Club of NSW Member and Co-Founding Member of 3FB Inc, Ford Forums Food Bandits)
XR_Strider_GuY is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-16-2002, 22:02   #2 (permalink)
Two SC 61's = trouble

Twin can be made quieter than a bigger single..Pluss with two mufflers doing the job of one,must flow better.Or it should??
Passengers, myocardial infarction material..
R.I.P Possum...
ebxr8240 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2002, 22:17   #3 (permalink)
Mr Photoshop

How about getting two custom extractors made? Each covering for cylinders, and going down into a full twin system? Or isn't there enough room for them to get through?
CSV_LS1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2002, 22:25   #4 (permalink)
T5 Expert Operator

Quote:
Originally posted by CSV_LS1
How about getting two custom extractors made? Each covering for cylinders, and going down into a full twin system? Or isn't there enough room for them to get through?
If a twin extractor system could be devised it needs to cats and 2 cats will be very restrictive, as well as that being an Inline 6 the cats will have to be both on one side so they'd be pushing it for room.

Me thinks also the scavenging effect will be less than having the convensional type extractors.

AUII Late Ed XR6 HP T5 Venom- Full Tickford Body Kit, 17in Wheels, Herrod Bi-plane Spoiler, Momo Steer/Gear, T-Series Interior Options, Premium Stereo and a very light-tuned 4.0L I6

(FPV-Tickford Club of NSW Member and Co-Founding Member of 3FB Inc, Ford Forums Food Bandits)
XR_Strider_GuY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2002, 22:35   #5 (permalink)
Mr Photoshop

What if the extractor are tuned length allowing to put to ends of the extractors sitting in the proper position to fit the twin setup?
Why do you say Two cats will be restrictive as with two the gasses don't fight to go through and are able to quickly flow out.
CSV_LS1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2002, 04:22   #6 (permalink)
Birth, Drift, Death...

two cats are half as restrictive as one of the same type, if they are in parallel (ie one off each bank on a V8) but if inline (one after the other) then that would be slightly more restrictive.

197.4hp at the wheels, 14.505@152.46km/h
Tuning in progress...
*CLICK TO SEE MY XR6*
I can get new Genuine Holden/Ford/Audi/Land Rover/Honda parts cheap, PM me!
Rollin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2002, 06:13   #7 (permalink)
At the 3FB Cheese Wheel

Gary,

I'll finally have mine fitted tomorrow, so next time we meet up come and have a look. This will add approx 15 - 20Kw @ RW

You're right about the VCT / HP, it is the exhaust that makes the difference. The HP shares the same exhaust as the Forte.
Old 07-17-2002, 17:27   #8 (permalink)
Ford Member

Does anyone have a good photo or drawing of a VCT exaust?
IPhido is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2002, 22:59   #9 (permalink)
At the 3FB Cheese Wheel

Just got home from getting my Herrod system put on the car. Talk about unleash the beast, the car gets along now! very impressed.

It wasn't a twin system at the back as I was told by Rob Herrod, but one awfully big chrome tip, now I can really get amongst the Lancers and Hyundais at Maccas!
Old 07-18-2002, 03:56   #10 (permalink)
3FB Food Press

Hi guys. I just had a look at the exhaust on my VCT. Iphido I didnt do a drawing but I can describe it. It is 2.5 inch from the cat. Goes through a resonator and then it split into two and goes down to 2 inch. Travels through a full size muffler on each side and then curves across the back to the drivers side. They go through an equalizer with the bottom pipe going up to 2.5 inch turning to the rear and going to the tailpipe. The top pipe from the equalizer goes down to 1.75 inch and finishes above the tailpipe capped off. I would like to see some actual acceleration times of some cars with the exhaust done as it would help to know where to start with mine. My guess after reading this site for a while is that there is not a lot that is worth doing on the VCT apart from extractors. From there it looks like big dollar mods.
Vinno is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Exhaust