XR6 headers.....who, what, where? - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Exhaust
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-30-2003, 00:54   #1 (permalink)
BOFH

XR6 headers.....who, what, where?

Ok, it's been 4 days since I got my XR6, time to start the modifications :)

Well, only 1 real modification, I like the rest as is for the moment. And like everyone else the first mod has to be ditching the standard headers for some good ones. Now the big questions, what brand, where from and should I be looking for anything in particluar?
I know on my XD I had a set of Genies, the best at the time. My EB V8 Fairmont never got a set as I wanted to keep it quiet (I swear I went half deaf from the XD). But now I think it's time to invest in a decent exhaust and from what I've heard it can boost the power of the VCT by a significant margin with no other mods. Correct?

OK, need opinions and options please.

Cheers,

Casper is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-30-2003, 01:52   #2 (permalink)
Lamahs approve of manuals

Have you tried a search in the Mechanical and Exterior Forum ? There's more exhaust threads there than you could legally poke a stick at !
XR8 Lamah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2003, 02:32   #3 (permalink)
walking power

try the herrod link at the bottom of the page.
Old 05-30-2003, 03:20   #4 (permalink)
BOFH

I have tried the search and it came back as "this function is diabled" or something to that effect. Also tried Herrods yesterday and could only find headers for V8's :(

Other suggestions?

Cheers,

Old 05-30-2003, 03:52   #5 (permalink)
Senior Events Moderator

Pacemakers or Genies are the best way to go. Lukey make some aswell i think there the same as Jim Mocks so to HM Headers but they also come with the Cat attached. Try and get some Jet Hot Coated that will keep under bonnet temps down which is a good thing. I hear mixed things about stainless and mild steel. personally i would go Mild steel as from a few exhaust mates recons they have had stainless stress crack.

Also 2.5 inch exhaust would be a definate im pretty sure the Xr6 dont come standard at 2.5. Make sure its mandrel bent and also a 2.5 inch cat would be a good idea the stockies are 2. Well that wrecks that idea i see you mentioned VCT so it must be AU.

Im under the impression the VCT Exhaust are perfect for flow i could be wrong someone correct me on this. But the extractors a definate go maybee some straight thru mufflers for some better sound its up to you mate.

Steve B

Hope this has helped a little
AUPS
AU1SIXA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2003, 04:00   #6 (permalink)
BOFH

Quote:
Originally posted by AU1SIXA
Im under the impression the VCT Exhaust are perfect for flow i could be wrong someone correct me on this. But the extractors a definate go maybee some straight thru mufflers for some better sound its up to you mate.

Steve B

Hope this has helped a little
Yes, it has helped me as it confirmed that Genies are still a good brand, it's been a while you know :) Thank you.

As for VCT Exhausts being good enough not to bother replacing, I would find this pretty unusual. Usually the stock headers on most cars fall into the nasty - as in "cheap and nasty". So does Tickford upgrade the headers on an XR?

As for sound, I'm pretty happy with its sound now. I'm a bit to old for "rev head" sounds - prefer a sedate burble if you know what I mean.

Anyhow, some more opinions on the standard XR VCT headers would be appreciated.

Cheers,

Old 05-30-2003, 07:48   #7 (permalink)
Experienced Ford Member

the extractors are personal preference really, jim mock have got the most power but who knows what the middle range torque is like and after all that's what moves the car....

the rest of the exhaust is pretty staight forward, i'd go 2.5 inch (they're 2.25 standard and have some weird twin pipe set-up) with straight through (by that I mean proper straight throughs ie you can stick a piece of wire through it without bending it, basically almost see through it) muffler and resonater. walker make an off the shelf mild steel one for about $300...

the cat, I would use the stock one, just cut off the 2 inch pipe on either end and weld on 2.5 inch pipe....most exhaust shops would have no trouble with that....there's no piont in spending $320 on a cat that isn't going to do stuff all better then the stock one with the above mod.....

I hope this helps....

also I did a project on exhaust flow and extractors for uni, I came up with jim mocks being the closed to my design....the most important thing I found was the samething Herrod and Jim Mock found - you need pretty small diameter, but long primaries....

Dave.
-------------------------------
"Can't sleep, Clown'll eat me, can't sleep, clown'll eat me"
"I am the angel of death, the time of purification is at hand"
fordboy1996 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2003, 10:35   #8 (permalink)
Bourbon powered V8

Would you like some real world experience in relation to the exhaust on a VCT? No? Well, I'll give it to you anyway. We have two cars in our club that started off almost identical 12 months ago. Build dates within a few months, kms within a few 1000 etc. One of these now has pacemaker headers and a single 2.5" system. The other is stock. At a recnt dyno day, both cars were run and the one with the aftermarket system has 3kw LESS at the wheels, but nearly 100Nm more torque. Guess which one is mine? The modified one! Not happy Jan. Serisouly, to get 100Nm more torque for a sacrifice of 3rwkw is Ok with me, but it would be better if it also had more power!

My suggestion would be to get the headers/extractors - doesn't really matter what brand - they are all going to be better than the standard headers. I prefer Pacemaker, but Genie are good and others swear by Advance headers.

Keep the standard cat and the cat back system for the moment - see if you like it. If you don't, then change the system from the cat back, but there really is no good reason to, as the standard VCT exhaust (from the cat back) is actually very good, except that it tends to rust out, which is why I replaced mine with a single 2.5".

AU1 XR8 Auto 147.9 rwkw (approx 215 fwkw)

AU2 Wagon HAD Auto
17s, Pacemakers, 3" Intake & Pod filter (The Family Hack)

Member of:
FPV-XR Club ACT
AUFalcon.com
ATPS (honorary)
JC-XR8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2003, 15:59   #9 (permalink)
BOFH

Quote:
Originally posted by JCV8
Would you like some real world experience in relation to the exhaust on a VCT? No? Well, I'll give it to you anyway. We have two cars in our club that started off almost identical 12 months ago. Build dates within a few months, kms within a few 1000 etc. One of these now has pacemaker headers and a single 2.5" system. The other is stock. At a recnt dyno day, both cars were run and the one with the aftermarket system has 3kw LESS at the wheels, but nearly 100Nm more torque. Guess which one is mine? The modified one! Not happy Jan. Serisouly, to get 100Nm more torque for a sacrifice of 3rwkw is Ok with me, but it would be better if it also had more power!

My suggestion would be to get the headers/extractors - doesn't really matter what brand - they are all going to be better than the standard headers. I prefer Pacemaker, but Genie are good and others swear by Advance headers.

Keep the standard cat and the cat back system for the moment - see if you like it. If you don't, then change the system from the cat back, but there really is no good reason to, as the standard VCT exhaust (from the cat back) is actually very good, except that it tends to rust out, which is why I replaced mine with a single 2.5".
This is exactly the sort of info I'm after. Actual owners who have been there, done that. Actually Herrod MS PM'ed me and I'm going to be talking to him on Monday - I figure he might know a thing or 2 about my car :) but now I have some questions for him. I admit I do not want to lose any power however I have always preffered torque over power anyhow. Still, for the cost I would expect an increase in both.
I'm thinking of just replacing the headers and leaving the rest stock. I don't really want to mess around too much and I don't want the sound to change radically, I like it as is. Then, if funds and interest oblige, I may change the actual mufflers a little bit later.

Cheers,

Old 05-30-2003, 20:32   #10 (permalink)
Experienced Ford Member

yeah talk to Herrod, as I said their Extractor/header design was pretty close to the one I designed....

Dave.
"Can't sleep, Clown'll eat me, can't sleep, clown'll eat me"
"I am the angel of death, the time of purification is at hand"
fordboy1996 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Exhaust