XR8 Exhaust system - mods - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
» Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Exhaust
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-12-2004, 14:37   #1 (permalink)
Bourbon powered V8

XR8 Exhaust system - mods

I have an AU1 XR8 auto with Herrods 4 into 1 Headers into the cats, then twin 2.25" or 2.5" pipes (approx 2 feet long) into a 3 inch collector, then a single 3" pipe (approx 2.5 feet long) to one muffler, then 2.5" or 2.25" press bent pipe (approx 1.5 - 2 feet) into a hotdog then straight out the chrome tip. The hotdog is tucked up in the right rear quarter, so is well past the diff.

My questions are:

1. If I cut the 2.25/2.5" inch pipe just before the hotdog, what will this do to my system - I am interested in more noise, which is an obvious benefit, but I still want it to be basically legal, and not to drone too much (it is an auto).
2. I realise that the 2.25/2.5" pipe from the muffler back is probably the largest part of the restriction, but will removing the hotdog remove some of the restriction in my system?

AU1 XR8 Auto 147.9 rwkw (approx 215 fwkw)

AU2 Wagon HAD Auto
17s, Pacemakers, 3" Intake & Pod filter (The Family Hack)

Member of:
FPV-XR Club ACT
AUFalcon.com
ATPS (honorary)
JC-XR8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-12-2004, 16:27   #2 (permalink)
345kw of V8 Windsor Power

Re: XR8 Exhaust system - mods

Quote:
Originally Posted by JC-XR8
1. If I cut the 2.25/2.5" inch pipe just before the hotdog, what will this do to my system - I am interested in more noise, which is an obvious benefit, but I still want it to be basically legal, and not to drone too much (it is an auto).
It will make it louder, but also defectable. If you want a louder sound, just get your exhaust shop to remove the hotdog and replace it with some pipe.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JC-XR8
2. I realise that the 2.25/2.5" pipe from the muffler back is probably the largest part of the restriction, but will removing the hotdog remove some of the restriction in my system?
Hotdogs don't have a lot of restriction, and it is so far back it won't have any effect on power. If the pipe is 2.25" then yes I would upgrade that to 2.5", but otherwise the whole system probably isn't a restriction.
EDXR8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2004, 04:03   #3 (permalink)

I'm runnin just 1 straight thru resonator JC and you know what it sounds like - as for legal, sound wins over that concern for me but each to there own. Only other thing - why do people still persevere with press bent pipework. On your AU, go with at least 2.5inch and mandrels the way to go, loose the hotdog and the sound will open up but prob push you over db limits, personally dbs levels are set too low anyway.
Old 12-13-2004, 15:52   #4 (permalink)
Bourbon powered V8

Thanks RATMAN - I know your car sounds great. I tow a boat with mine, so don't want it too loud, but the press bent pipe is certainly crap! It came with the car though, and to tell you the truth, I didn't even know until I had a look on the weekend - I had assumed it was 3" all the way through.

I think I might chop the hotdog and tailpipe off, and just have the exhaust ending just past the diff. I'll see how it goes.

AU1 XR8 Auto 147.9 rwkw (approx 215 fwkw)

AU2 Wagon HAD Auto
17s, Pacemakers, 3" Intake & Pod filter (The Family Hack)

Member of:
FPV-XR Club ACT
AUFalcon.com
ATPS (honorary)
JC-XR8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Exhaust