2001 ZTS problem with engline light - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Fordforums Community > USENET NewsGroups > alt.autos.ford.focus
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-14-2005, 16:01   #1 (permalink)
Mr. Satellite
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
2001 ZTS problem with engline light

From time to time my engine light keeps lighting up & stays lit for a few
days & then goes out. I have no loss of power etc. I was told there a recall
or problem with this? maybe a sensor? anyone know what one? Don't want to
take to dealer they rip off. I was told its a easy & common fix.

Thnks


  Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 11-14-2005, 17:01   #2 (permalink)
Dave Gower
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: 2001 ZTS problem with engline light


"Mr. Satellite" <@satellite> wrote in message
news:frWdnVYYEI7wvuTeRVn-rQ@adelphia.com...
> From time to time my engine light keeps lighting up & stays lit for a few
> days & then goes out. I have no loss of power etc. I was told there a
> recall or problem with this? maybe a sensor? anyone know what one? Don't
> want to take to dealer they rip off. I was told its a easy & common fix.


The next time it happens, you need to get the computer codes read. Any
dealer or good diagnostic shop can do a quick scan, and any experienced
engine or auto electrical technician can interpret it for you. The chances
are it's something minor, such as a loose gas cap.


  Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2005, 15:01   #3 (permalink)
Alan
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: 2001 ZTS problem with engline light

In message <58SdnXYZcq9Is-TenZ2dnUVZ_sOdnZ2d@magma.ca>, Dave Gower
<davegow-spamblock@magma.ca> wrote
>
>"Mr. Satellite" <@satellite> wrote in message
>news:frWdnVYYEI7wvuTeRVn-rQ@adelphia.com...
>> From time to time my engine light keeps lighting up & stays lit for a few
>> days & then goes out. I have no loss of power etc. I was told there a
>> recall or problem with this? maybe a sensor? anyone know what one? Don't
>> want to take to dealer they rip off. I was told its a easy & common fix.

>
>The next time it happens, you need to get the computer codes read. Any
>dealer or good diagnostic shop can do a quick scan, and any experienced
>engine or auto electrical technician can interpret it for you. The chances
>are it's something minor, such as a loose gas cap.
>


Cheap OBD (diagnostic code) reader

<http://www.dealz4all.com/product_info.php?products_id=40>

The above just plugs into the OBD port. It then reports the error code 4
times. On the 5th read it also clears the engine light but you can
disconnect it before then until you fix the fault indicated by the code.
(Obviously, if you don't fix the fault the light will come on again)

If you live in the USA it appears that some independent car service
outlets may read the code for you for free. You can the look up the
reason for the reported code at

<http://www.obd-codes.com/trouble_codes/ford/index.php>

<http://www.obd-codes.com/trouble_codes/index.php>


--
Alan
news2005 {at} amac {dot} f2s {dot} com
  Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2005, 16:01   #4 (permalink)
Michael Heiming
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: 2001 ZTS problem with engline light

In alt.autos.ford.focus Alan <junk_reply@amac.f2s.com>:
> In message <58SdnXYZcq9Is-TenZ2dnUVZ_sOdnZ2d@magma.ca>, Dave Gower
> <davegow-spamblock@magma.ca> wrote
>>
>>"Mr. Satellite" <@satellite> wrote in message
>>news:frWdnVYYEI7wvuTeRVn-rQ@adelphia.com...
>>> From time to time my engine light keeps lighting up & stays lit for a few
>>> days & then goes out. I have no loss of power etc. I was told there a
>>> recall or problem with this? maybe a sensor? anyone know what one? Don't
>>> want to take to dealer they rip off. I was told its a easy & common fix.

>>
>>The next time it happens, you need to get the computer codes read. Any
>>dealer or good diagnostic shop can do a quick scan, and any experienced
>>engine or auto electrical technician can interpret it for you. The chances
>>are it's something minor, such as a loose gas cap.
>>


> Cheap OBD (diagnostic code) reader


> <http://www.dealz4all.com/product_info.php?products_id=40>


> The above just plugs into the OBD port. It then reports the error code 4
> times. On the 5th read it also clears the engine light but you can
> disconnect it before then until you fix the fault indicated by the code.
> (Obviously, if you don't fix the fault the light will come on again)


> If you live in the USA it appears that some independent car service
> outlets may read the code for you for free. You can the look up the
> reason for the reported code at


> <http://www.obd-codes.com/trouble_codes/ford/index.php>


> <http://www.obd-codes.com/trouble_codes/index.php>


Interesting, AFAIK there are some docs online how to read those
codes an a bunch of other information without leaving the driver
seat, using the small LCD speedo display.

Haven't test it out, but can remember failure codes are supposed
to be displayed. Sorry, if this feature is missing from the US
model.

--
Michael Heiming (X-PGP-Sig > GPG-Key ID: EDD27B94)
mail: echo zvpunry@urvzvat.qr | perl -pe 'y/a-z/n-za-m/'
#bofh excuse 94: Internet outage
  Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2005, 21:01   #5 (permalink)
Henri
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: 2001 ZTS problem with engline light

Try changing gas stations or brands of fuel.
If you are using a discount gas station, or supermarket gas station for
gas, sometimes you get gasoline with a slightly lower octane than regular
and this causes a misfire, which will set the MIL. If the engine does not
misfire again the MIL goes out and the code goes away.
Another thing to check would be ignition wires or it could also be a bad
plug.
I had the similar problem with my Focus and it drove the dealer nuts.
MIL came on, 2 days later it went out - no code set.
I switched to Esso for fuel instead of buying supermarket gas, and the
problem has not reappeared yet..

"Mr. Satellite" <@satellite> wrote in message
news:frWdnVYYEI7wvuTeRVn-rQ@adelphia.com...
From time to time my engine light keeps lighting up & stays lit for a few
days & then goes out. I have no loss of power etc. I was told there a recall
or problem with this? maybe a sensor? anyone know what one? Don't want to
take to dealer they rip off. I was told its a easy & common fix.

Thnks



  Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2005, 02:01   #6 (permalink)
Chris Whelan
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: 2001 ZTS problem with engline light

Michael Heiming wrote:

> Interesting, AFAIK there are some docs online how to read those
> codes an a bunch of other information without leaving the driver
> seat, using the small LCD speedo display.
>
> Haven't test it out, but can remember failure codes are supposed
> to be displayed. Sorry, if this feature is missing from the US
> model.
>


The codes that can be read from the trip display are only dashboard codes.
You can't read OBDII from there. The sort of information you get is engine
temperature, battery voltage, speed in both MPH and KPH and so on.

In order to view this, with the ignition switched off hold down the trip
reset button. Whilst keeping the button depressed, start the engine. When
the trip display reads "TEST" release the button. The dials will self-test
by going to maximum display, then minimum, and will then read normally. You
can then repeatedly press the trip reset button to cycle through a whole
load of information. Some of this is obvious, some quite obscure.

A Google will reveal what the less obvious codes are.

Every Focus I've ever tried this on shows the code to indicate the fuel
gauge sender is faulty....

HTH

Chris



--
Remove prejudice to reply.
  Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2005, 04:01   #7 (permalink)
Michael Heiming
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: 2001 ZTS problem with engline light

In alt.autos.ford.focus Chris Whelan <cawhelan@prejudicentlworld.com>:
> Michael Heiming wrote:


>> Interesting, AFAIK there are some docs online how to read those
>> codes an a bunch of other information without leaving the driver
>> seat, using the small LCD speedo display.
>>
>> Haven't test it out, but can remember failure codes are supposed
>> to be displayed. Sorry, if this feature is missing from the US
>> model.
>>


> The codes that can be read from the trip display are only dashboard codes.
> You can't read OBDII from there. The sort of information you get is engine
> temperature, battery voltage, speed in both MPH and KPH and so on.


You can read out DTC failure code (Number 6 - NONE or DTC failure
code), dunno how those are related to the ODBII error codes you
mentioned?

> In order to view this, with the ignition switched off hold down the trip
> reset button. Whilst keeping the button depressed, start the engine. When
> the trip display reads "TEST" release the button. The dials will self-test
> by going to maximum display, then minimum, and will then read normally. You
> can then repeatedly press the trip reset button to cycle through a whole
> load of information. Some of this is obvious, some quite obscure.


> A Google will reveal what the less obvious codes are.


> Every Focus I've ever tried this on shows the code to indicate the fuel
> gauge sender is faulty....


;)

--
Michael Heiming (X-PGP-Sig > GPG-Key ID: EDD27B94)
mail: echo zvpunry@urvzvat.qr | perl -pe 'y/a-z/n-za-m/'
  Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2005, 07:01   #8 (permalink)
Chris Whelan
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: 2001 ZTS problem with engline light

Michael Heiming wrote:

>
>> The codes that can be read from the trip display are only dashboard
>> codes. You can't read OBDII from there. The sort of information you get
>> is engine temperature, battery voltage, speed in both MPH and KPH and so
>> on.

>
> You can read out DTC failure code (Number 6 - NONE or DTC failure
> code), dunno how those are related to the ODBII error codes you
> mentioned?


Yep. DTC = Dashboard Trouble Code. They are not directly related to the
engine diagnostic codes accessible with an OBDII reader.

Chris

--
Remove prejudice to reply.
  Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

  Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Fordforums Community > USENET NewsGroups > alt.autos.ford.focus



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are Off
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.2

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 08:39.



Powered by vBulletin® Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0
Garage Plus vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.