2002 Focus Wagon wind noise? - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Fordforums Community > USENET NewsGroups > alt.autos.ford.focus
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-21-2006, 17:01   #1 (permalink)
Skitt
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
2002 Focus Wagon wind noise?

I had a weird experience today. I am trying to sell my 2002 Focus Wagon,
and a guy took it out for a test run on the freeway. He came back and said
that the car ran great, but it had some kind of tremendous vibrating noise
when running at speeds higher than 50 MPH. I had never heard it, so he took
me out to show me.

The noise is mainly there when one of the rear passenger windows is open.
No wonder I had never experienced it, as I never have any windows open when
driving the car.

I am not sure what it is, but the noise (kinda like "chug, chug, chug") is
quite severe and increases in intensity, but not frequency, as the speed is
increased past 50 MPH.

I think it may be some acoustic thing, caused by air buffeting in the cargo
area (the tonneau cover there was retracted, and I have not tested it with
it extended). It gets to be very loud, though, and we could feel the
pressure waves in our ears.

Have any of you here experienced anything like it? Any ideas?
--
Skitt (in Hayward, California)

  Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 01-21-2006, 18:01   #2 (permalink)
vjc
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: 2002 Focus Wagon wind noise?

Have the same problem in my 2000 wagon. The noise is even worse with both
windows cracked open.


  Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2006, 20:01   #3 (permalink)
Matt Mead
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: 2002 Focus Wagon wind noise?

On Sun, 22 Jan 2006 01:33:05 GMT, "vjc" <scubie1647cim@verizon.net>
wrote:

>Have the same problem in my 2000 wagon. The noise is even worse with both
>windows cracked open.
>



Yeah, my 00 Wagon does it too. At least now I know it is normal! :)

Matt
00 Focus Wagon
  Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2006, 06:01   #4 (permalink)
me
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: 2002 Focus Wagon wind noise?

Matt Mead wrote:
> On Sun, 22 Jan 2006 01:33:05 GMT, "vjc" <scubie1647cim@verizon.net>
> wrote:
>
>
>>Have the same problem in my 2000 wagon. The noise is even worse with both
>>windows cracked open.
>>

>
>
>
> Yeah, my 00 Wagon does it too. At least now I know it is normal! :)
>
> Matt
> 00 Focus Wagon

My '00 ZX3 does it with the sun roof open in the 25-40Mph range
  Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2006, 13:01   #5 (permalink)
Vic Dura
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: 2002 Focus Wagon wind noise?

On Sat, 21 Jan 2006 16:29:19 -0800, "Skitt" <skitt99@comcast.net>
wrote Re 2002 Focus Wagon wind noise?:

>I think it may be some acoustic thing, caused by air buffeting in the cargo
>area (the tonneau cover there was retracted, and I have not tested it with
>it extended). It gets to be very loud, though, and we could feel the
>pressure waves in our ears.


Yes, I have it on my 2005 ZX4. It's definitely acoustic. If you have
electric windows, you can change or eliminate it by moving the
position of the various windows.
--
To email me directly, remove CLUTTER.
  Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2006, 15:01   #6 (permalink)
Skitt
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: 2002 Focus Wagon wind noise?

Vic Dura wrote:
> "Skitt" wrote:


>> I think it may be some acoustic thing, caused by air buffeting in
>> the cargo area (the tonneau cover there was retracted, and I have
>> not tested it with it extended). It gets to be very loud, though,
>> and we could feel the pressure waves in our ears.

>
> Yes, I have it on my 2005 ZX4. It's definitely acoustic. If you have
> electric windows, you can change or eliminate it by moving the
> position of the various windows.


Great. Now I have to convince the potential buyer that that is all it is,
and to not open the rear windows when on the freeway. Why would one do that
anyway?
--
Skitt (in Hayward, California)
http://www.geocities.com/opus731/

  Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2006, 11:01   #7 (permalink)
pad
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: 2002 Focus Wagon wind noise?

my 2003 focus does the same noise

  Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2006, 00:01   #8 (permalink)
a.k.
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: 2002 Focus Wagon wind noise?


"Skitt" <skitt99@comcast.net> wrote in message
news:M96dnS_QO_h9TE_enZ2dnUVZ_s2dnZ2d@comcast.com...
> I had a weird experience today. I am trying to sell my 2002 Focus Wagon,
> and a guy took it out for a test run on the freeway. He came back and

said
> that the car ran great, but it had some kind of tremendous vibrating noise
> when running at speeds higher than 50 MPH. I had never heard it, so he

took
> me out to show me.
>
> The noise is mainly there when one of the rear passenger windows is open.
> No wonder I had never experienced it, as I never have any windows open

when
> driving the car.
>
> I am not sure what it is, but the noise (kinda like "chug, chug, chug") is
> quite severe and increases in intensity, but not frequency, as the speed

is
> increased past 50 MPH.
>
> I think it may be some acoustic thing, caused by air buffeting in the

cargo
> area (the tonneau cover there was retracted, and I have not tested it with
> it extended). It gets to be very loud, though, and we could feel the
> pressure waves in our ears.
>
> Have any of you here experienced anything like it? Any ideas?
> --
> Skitt (in Hayward, California)
>

my '01 wagon has the same wind noise at high speeds when the rear windows
are down little bit..the worst thing is that the rear windows are crank
operated.. if a passenger leaves them open and I hit the highway, I have to
pull off and crank them up to save my ears and sanity..

ahmet
Turkey
focus wagon 1.6 liter


  Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2006, 13:01   #9 (permalink)
Jeff
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: 2002 Focus Wagon wind noise?

It's not just Focii: it's pretty much every car made. My VW Passat wagon
used to the same thing if you cracked the rear window, and opening the
sunroof without opening a window at least an inch was sure to induce
migraines...

Jeff


  Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2006, 22:01   #10 (permalink)
lurker
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: 2002 Focus Wagon wind noise?


"Jeff" <jkclaus@earthlink.nospam.net> wrote in message
news:j0vCf.6604$rH5.4772@newsread2.news.atl.earthlink.net...
> It's not just Focii: it's pretty much every car made. My VW Passat wagon
> used to the same thing if you cracked the rear window, and opening the
> sunroof without opening a window at least an inch was sure to induce
> migraines...
>
> Jeff

yep almost every car I have ever owned exhibited the same problem.


  Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

  Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Fordforums Community > USENET NewsGroups > alt.autos.ford.focus



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are Off
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.2

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 04:06.



Powered by vBulletin® Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0
Garage Plus vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.