alternator install ?'s - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Fordforums Community > USENET NewsGroups > alt.autos.ford.focus
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-23-2005, 23:01   #1 (permalink)
paulmbedard@earthlink.net
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
alternator install ?'s

I have a 2000 Focus, and not much mechanical aptitude. Wondering how
difficult it is to install a new alternator. Is it simple like my
husband's '82 Ford F-100 pickup?
We don't have a Haynes manual for the Focus, but if it's similar to the
truck, we follow the same procedure as if we are installing a new belt
(?).
I don't want to spend $300 to pay a shop that won't let me bring them
salvage parts. I can get a used alternator for $80, and take it to a
shop with a new belt, and get it done a lot less expensive.
I know this is a dirty job, but I'm poor :+)
Thanks for any input/ideas Valerie paulmbedard@earthlink.net

  Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 07-24-2005, 10:01   #2 (permalink)
The Saltman
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: alternator install ?'s

similar procedure, just a much tighter area to work in. I haven't done this
on my focus yet but from what I remember looking at mine just incase I would
ever have to change mine, it doesn't look to difficult, just a pain in the
butt.


<paulmbedard@earthlink.net> wrote in message
news:1122177478.723764.152640@g14g2000cwa.googlegroups.com...
>I have a 2000 Focus, and not much mechanical aptitude. Wondering how
> difficult it is to install a new alternator. Is it simple like my
> husband's '82 Ford F-100 pickup?
> We don't have a Haynes manual for the Focus, but if it's similar to the
> truck, we follow the same procedure as if we are installing a new belt
> (?).
> I don't want to spend $300 to pay a shop that won't let me bring them
> salvage parts. I can get a used alternator for $80, and take it to a
> shop with a new belt, and get it done a lot less expensive.
> I know this is a dirty job, but I'm poor :+)
> Thanks for any input/ideas Valerie paulmbedard@earthlink.net
>



  Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2005, 14:01   #3 (permalink)
GeoffP
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: alternator install ?'s


"The Saltman" <kms1969@sbcglobal.net> wrote in message
news:8yOEe.41$aT1.38@newssvr19.news.prodigy.com...
> similar procedure, just a much tighter area to work in. I haven't done
> this on my focus yet but from what I remember looking at mine just incase
> I would ever have to change mine, it doesn't look to difficult, just a
> pain in the butt.
>
>
> <paulmbedard@earthlink.net> wrote in message
> news:1122177478.723764.152640@g14g2000cwa.googlegroups.com...
>>I have a 2000 Focus, and not much mechanical aptitude. Wondering how
>> difficult it is to install a new alternator. Is it simple like my
>> husband's '82 Ford F-100 pickup?
>> We don't have a Haynes manual for the Focus, but if it's similar to the
>> truck, we follow the same procedure as if we are installing a new belt
>> (?).
>> I don't want to spend $300 to pay a shop that won't let me bring them
>> salvage parts. I can get a used alternator for $80, and take it to a
>> shop with a new belt, and get it done a lot less expensive.
>> I know this is a dirty job, but I'm poor :+)
>> Thanks for any input/ideas Valerie paulmbedard@earthlink.net
>>

>==

I'm not an expert either, but with small hands how can you go wrong? It's
just plug and play. Like Microsoft only designed by intelligent people. LOL
If you screw up, just recharge your battery and drive to a garage. I know
what you mean by poor. I was once but now I am retired, I am REALLY poor.
VBG
Geoff.
>



  Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2005, 14:01   #4 (permalink)
EOO
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: alternator install ?'s


<paulmbedard@earthlink.net> wrote in message
news:1122177478.723764.152640@g14g2000cwa.googlegroups.com...
>I have a 2000 Focus, and not much mechanical aptitude. Wondering how
> difficult it is to install a new alternator. Is it simple like my
> husband's '82 Ford F-100 pickup?
> We don't have a Haynes manual for the Focus, but if it's similar to the
> truck, we follow the same procedure as if we are installing a new belt
> (?).
> I don't want to spend $300 to pay a shop that won't let me bring them
> salvage parts. I can get a used alternator for $80, and take it to a
> shop with a new belt, and get it done a lot less expensive.
> I know this is a dirty job, but I'm poor :+)
> Thanks for any input/ideas Valerie paulmbedard@earthlink.net
>

I had mine done last summer and I watched a seasoned mechanic take 4 hours
to the job. The book called for 2 hours labor. He had to undo a motor
mount then raise and lower the car about a half dozen times to lift and
lower the motor on the passenger side. He did say that anything that could
go wrong went wrong. He had to deal with some corrosion on some of the
connections. I wish you the best of luck but it sure looked like something
I would avoid.


  Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2005, 15:01   #5 (permalink)
GeoffP
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: alternator install ?'s


"EOO" <whereeverforever.com> wrote in message
news:Y9GdnQCaaJiFcH7fRVn-1Q@comcast.com...
>
> <paulmbedard@earthlink.net> wrote in message
> news:1122177478.723764.152640@g14g2000cwa.googlegroups.com...
>>I have a 2000 Focus, and not much mechanical aptitude. Wondering how
>> difficult it is to install a new alternator. Is it simple like my
>> husband's '82 Ford F-100 pickup?
>> We don't have a Haynes manual for the Focus, but if it's similar to the
>> truck, we follow the same procedure as if we are installing a new belt
>> (?).
>> I don't want to spend $300 to pay a shop that won't let me bring them
>> salvage parts. I can get a used alternator for $80, and take it to a
>> shop with a new belt, and get it done a lot less expensive.
>> I know this is a dirty job, but I'm poor :+)
>> Thanks for any input/ideas Valerie paulmbedard@earthlink.net
>>

> I had mine done last summer and I watched a seasoned mechanic take 4 hours
> to the job. The book called for 2 hours labor. He had to undo a motor
> mount then raise and lower the car about a half dozen times to lift and
> lower the motor on the passenger side. He did say that anything that
> could go wrong went wrong. He had to deal with some corrosion on some of
> the connections. I wish you the best of luck but it sure looked like
> something I would avoid.

IT'S REALLY NOT A BIG JOB. Undo a plug, a few bolts, That's it.
Come on now guys. Don't make it seem like a major job.
Geoff.


  Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2005, 23:01   #6 (permalink)
paulmbedard@earthlink.net
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: alternator install ?'s

welll...no engine light on, no noise from motor area...we decided to
wait and see if this mechanic is like a lot of them...:+)

  Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2005, 21:01   #7 (permalink)
ave_37
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: alternator install ?'s

"" wrote:
> I have a 2000 Focus, and not much mechanical aptitude.
> Wondering how
> difficult it is to install a new alternator. Is it simple like
> my
> husband's '82 Ford F-100 pickup?
> We don't have a Haynes manual for the Focus, but if it's
> similar to the
> truck, we follow the same procedure as if we are installing a
> new belt
> (?).
> I don't want to spend $300 to pay a shop that won't let me
> bring them
> salvage parts. I can get a used alternator for $80, and take
> it to a
> shop with a new belt, and get it done a lot less expensive.
> I know this is a dirty job, but I'm poor :+)
> Thanks for any input/ideas Valerie
> paulmbedard@earthlink.net


I just installed a new alternator in my girl friends car.. The job
takes a little bit.. But you have to remove the antifreeze tank, power
steering reservior, a small ground. The alternator must be in a
certain position to take it out.. but I can be done... Took me about 4
hours... I wish you luck...

--
Posted using the http://www.autoforumz.com interface, at author's request
Articles individually checked for conformance to usenet standards
Topic URL: http://www.autoforumz.com/Ford-Focus...ict130416.html
Visit Topic URL to contact author (reg. req'd). Report abuse: http://www.autoforumz.com/eform.php?p=637079
  Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

  Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Fordforums Community > USENET NewsGroups > alt.autos.ford.focus



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are Off
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.2

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 12:12.



Powered by vBulletin® Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0
Garage Plus vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.