heated windscreen - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Fordforums Community > USENET NewsGroups > alt.autos.ford.focus
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-12-2005, 17:01   #1 (permalink)
jclark
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
heated windscreen

Hi,

Do all Ford Focuses have heated windscreens? I'm wondering if I could
get one without it.

Thanks,

Jen

  Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 10-12-2005, 17:01   #2 (permalink)
Delboy
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: heated windscreen

I believe it is only the top end models that have them. By all account they
are real battery flatteners.

--
Delboy

A common mistake that people made when trying to design something completely
foolproof was to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools.

"jclark" <jclark@ebi.ac.uk> wrote in message
news:1129154402.148809.89460@o13g2000cwo.googlegroups.com...
> Hi,
>
> Do all Ford Focuses have heated windscreens? I'm wondering if I could
> get one without it.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Jen
>



  Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2005, 02:01   #3 (permalink)
Chris Whelan
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: heated windscreen

jclark wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Do all Ford Focuses have heated windscreens? I'm wondering if I could
> get one without it.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Jen


On early cars they were part of one of the add-on packs on all models so it
would be a lottery whether one was fitted or not. Later cars all seem to
have them.

Perhaps you could explain why you wouldn't want one? That way, someone might
be able to put your mind at rest.

Chris

--
Remove prejudice to reply.
  Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2005, 02:01   #4 (permalink)
Chris Whelan
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: heated windscreen

Delboy wrote:

> I believe it is only the top end models that have them. By all account
> they are real battery flatteners.
>


No, they have been fitted to various models. (See previous post).

Although they take a lot of current, they are not "battery flatteners" at
all. My 1999 1.8 LX has a HFS which I use often. It has covered 78K miles.
It has the original battery which has *never* gone flat.

The screen can only be switched on when the engine is actually running, not
just with the ignition on. The ECU raises the idle speed slightly to keep
the alternator output high. The ECU turns the screen off after a few
minutes operation.

It could be argued that frequent use might very marginally reduce the life
of the alternator and drive belt, but no more than parking with the lights
on, doing lots of short trips, parking with the radio on etc. Overall, I
can't imagine why anyone would *not* want one.

Chris

--
Remove prejudice to reply.
  Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2005, 06:01   #5 (permalink)
Stephen F.
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: heated windscreen


"Chris Whelan" <cawhelan@prejudicentlworld.com> wrote in message
news:yNo3f.46$Nm6.39@newsfe4-gui.ntli.net...
> Delboy wrote:
>
>> I believe it is only the top end models that have them. By all account
>> they are real battery flatteners.
>>

>
> No, they have been fitted to various models. (See previous post).
>
> Although they take a lot of current, they are not "battery flatteners" at
> all. My 1999 1.8 LX has a HFS which I use often. It has covered 78K miles.
> It has the original battery which has *never* gone flat.
>
> The screen can only be switched on when the engine is actually running,
> not
> just with the ignition on. The ECU raises the idle speed slightly to keep
> the alternator output high. The ECU turns the screen off after a few
> minutes operation.
>
> It could be argued that frequent use might very marginally reduce the life
> of the alternator and drive belt, but no more than parking with the lights
> on, doing lots of short trips, parking with the radio on etc. Overall, I
> can't imagine why anyone would *not* want one.
>


It is without a doubt the best single option you can select for a car, if
you live anywhere with an inclement winter. Seriously. Vision is
everything, both for safety and convenience. I hate having to go back to a
conventional car in the winter.


  Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2005, 06:01   #6 (permalink)
Chris Whelan
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: heated windscreen

Stephen F. wrote:

> It is without a doubt the best single option you can select for a car, if
> you live anywhere with an inclement winter. Seriously. Vision is
> everything, both for safety and convenience. I hate having to go back to
> a conventional car in the winter.


Yep. I would not buy another car without a HFS. That appears to limit me to
Ford, but that's what I would buy anyway :-)

I'm intrigued why the OP appears to want a car without one.

Chris

--
Remove prejudice to reply.
  Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2005, 08:01   #7 (permalink)
Stephen F.
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: heated windscreen


"Chris Whelan" <cawhelan@prejudicentlworld.com> wrote in message
news:80s3f.214$wk6.74@newsfe6-win.ntli.net...
> Stephen F. wrote:
>
>> It is without a doubt the best single option you can select for a car, if
>> you live anywhere with an inclement winter. Seriously. Vision is
>> everything, both for safety and convenience. I hate having to go back to
>> a conventional car in the winter.

>
> Yep. I would not buy another car without a HFS. That appears to limit me
> to
> Ford, but that's what I would buy anyway :-)
>
> I'm intrigued why the OP appears to want a car without one.
>
> Chris


GM/Opel/Vauxhall had an optional screen a few years back (recognizable by
the gold colour, as it was a thin film rather than individual heating wires)

Stephen


  Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2005, 09:01   #8 (permalink)
Chris Whelan
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: heated windscreen

Stephen F. wrote:

>> Yep. I would not buy another car without a HFS. That appears to limit me
>> to
>> Ford, but that's what I would buy anyway :-)
>>
>> I'm intrigued why the OP appears to want a car without one.
>>
>> Chris

>
> GM/Opel/Vauxhall had an optional screen a few years back (recognizable by
> the gold colour, as it was a thin film rather than individual heating
> wires)
>
> Stephen


I didn't know that. How effective was it?

Chris

--
Remove prejudice to reply.
  Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2005, 10:01   #9 (permalink)
jclark
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: heated windscreen

I just got the Jan 2004 specifications book in the post and it seems
that heated windscreens were standard on all but the CL. Thought you
might like to know.

I'm interested in getting a car without heated screen since we hardly
ever get frost here and I really really like to have nothing impede my
view. I know the screen heater is barely visible and all that, but I
just wondered if I had the option.

All the comments have been very helpful.

Thanks,

Jen

  Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2005, 11:01   #10 (permalink)
Alan
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: heated windscreen

In message <1129220284.686440.133710@g44g2000cwa.googlegroups.com>,
jclark <jclark@ebi.ac.uk> wrote
>I just got the Jan 2004 specifications book in the post and it seems
>that heated windscreens were standard on all but the CL. Thought you
>might like to know.
>
>I'm interested in getting a car without heated screen since we hardly
>ever get frost here and I really really like to have nothing impede my
>view. I know the screen heater is barely visible and all that, but I
>just wondered if I had the option.
>
>All the comments have been very helpful.
>


You will need it for other reasons,- the Focus windows do seem to mist
up badly at any slight excuse. Having A/C or the heated front screen
clears the mist quickly.

--
Alan
mailto:news2me_a_2003@amacleod.clara.co.uk
  Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

  Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Fordforums Community > USENET NewsGroups > alt.autos.ford.focus



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are Off
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.2

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 07:49.



Powered by vBulletin® Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0
Garage Plus vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.