Steering column vibration - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-22-05, 05:01 AM
Deebrief
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Steering column vibration

Have just been down to mid France and had vibration through the column and
into the steering wheel.

Suspect this may be a wheel balance problem or dare I say it a warped drive
shaft.

Any suggestions out there.

Thanks.




 
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-22-05, 06:01 AM
Dave Gower
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Steering column vibration


"Deebrief" <nick.dunstan@virgin.net> wrote in message
news:x1bue.93$iT1.87@newsfe1-win.ntli.net...
> Have just been down to mid France and had vibration through the column and
> into the steering wheel.
>
> Suspect this may be a wheel balance problem or dare I say it a warped
> drive shaft.


Bent or out of balance wheel are certainly more likely. Drive shafts are
pretty sturdy things, and if you hit a wheel hard enough to bend one the
wheel is probably going to have a lot more serious damage.

Alloy wheels are much more prone to damage than steel ones.


 
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-23-05, 09:01 AM
per
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Steering column vibration

Unbalanced wheels may be most likely, but worn inner drive joints also
produce similar vibrations on the Focus.
I have had one replaced.
/per

"Deebrief" <nick.dunstan@virgin.net> skrev i meddelandet
news:x1bue.93$iT1.87@newsfe1-win.ntli.net...
> Have just been down to mid France and had vibration through the column and
> into the steering wheel.
>
> Suspect this may be a wheel balance problem or dare I say it a warped
> drive shaft.
>
> Any suggestions out there.
>
> Thanks.
>



 
post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-23-05, 11:02 AM
Dave Gower
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Steering column vibration


"per" <nospam@nospam.com> wrote in message news:42bac34e@news.wineasy.se...
> Unbalanced wheels may be most likely, but worn inner drive joints also
> produce similar vibrations on the Focus.


The way to tell worn drive joints or wheel bearings is to take a corner with
the radio off and listen. If you have worn joints, the noise should increase
when you apply power on a corner. If you have worn bearings, it should drop
with the side load.


 
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-23-05, 11:02 AM
per
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Steering column vibration

"Dave Gower" <davegow.removethis@magma.ca> skrev i meddelandet
news:AKGdnRhTHNuZUSffRVn-hQ@magma.ca...
>
> "per" <nospam@nospam.com> wrote in message
> news:42bac34e@news.wineasy.se...
>> Unbalanced wheels may be most likely, but worn inner drive joints also
>> produce similar vibrations on the Focus.

>
> The way to tell worn drive joints or wheel bearings is to take a corner
> with the radio off and listen. If you have worn joints, the noise should
> increase when you apply power on a corner. If you have worn bearings, it
> should drop with the side load.


Bad outer joints make a knocking noise when turning tight, but bad inner
joints can sometimes not be heard when turning at low speeds, and yet
provide ample vibration at high speed.
/per


 
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-23-05, 02:01 PM
Dave Gower
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Steering column vibration


"per" <nospam@nospam.com> wrote

> Bad outer joints make a knocking noise when turning tight, but bad inner
> joints can sometimes not be heard when turning at low speeds, and yet
> provide ample vibration at high speed.


OK, I won't argue that one not having personal experience with it, but if I
remember correctly the outers take the greatest punishment since they have
much greater angles to transfer power through (they handle the steering
motion whereas the inners handle the suspension movement), so are what
usually fails first, or am I wrong?


 
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-24-05, 04:01 AM
per
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Steering column vibration

"Dave Gower" <davegow.removethis.@magma.ca> skrev i meddelandet
news:UvOdnWt7QsoMmibfRVn-vw@magma.ca...
>
> "per" <nospam@nospam.com> wrote
>
>> Bad outer joints make a knocking noise when turning tight, but bad inner
>> joints can sometimes not be heard when turning at low speeds, and yet
>> provide ample vibration at high speed.

>
> OK, I won't argue that one not having personal experience with it, but if
> I remember correctly the outers take the greatest punishment since they
> have much greater angles to transfer power through (they handle the
> steering motion whereas the inners handle the suspension movement), so are
> what usually fails first, or am I wrong?


I've had many front wheel driven cars, and the outer joints have always
failed first.
But, on Ford Focus the inner joints seem to be a weak point, and one of mine
have failed before any outer joints problems.
/per


 
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

  Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Fordforums Community > USENET NewsGroups > alt.autos.ford.focus


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are Off
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome