strange overheating problem - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Fordforums Community > USENET NewsGroups > alt.autos.ford.focus
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-10-2005, 02:01   #1 (permalink)
Stanjo
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
strange overheating problem

Hello,

My US Ford Focus ZX3 2000 with 60k miles is overheating when idling.
The cooling fans (yes, there are two fans) are not coming on, but if I turn
on the A/C they work and the car doesn't overheat.

I checked the manual and seems like there are two fan circuits - with or
without A/C. I checked both fuses and relays and they are ok (F2, F3, R15
and R16 in the power distribution box in the engine compartment).

At that point I'm baffled - the fans themselves are ok as they work with the
a/c on; the fuses and the relays are ok; the thermal sensor is ok as the
gauge shows ok and this is the only sensor from the radiator.

My search found that several people reported similar problems, but
unfortunately there was no follow up on what was wrong.

What can possibly be wrong ? Any suggestions before I go to the dealership ?


Regards,
Stanjo




  Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 11-10-2005, 07:01   #2 (permalink)
RonrutMR2
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: strange overheating problem

Stanjo wrote:
> Hello,
>
> My US Ford Focus ZX3 2000 with 60k miles is overheating when idling.
> The cooling fans (yes, there are two fans) are not coming on, but if I turn
> on the A/C they work and the car doesn't overheat.
>
> I checked the manual and seems like there are two fan circuits - with or
> without A/C. I checked both fuses and relays and they are ok (F2, F3, R15
> and R16 in the power distribution box in the engine compartment).
>
> At that point I'm baffled - the fans themselves are ok as they work with the
> a/c on; the fuses and the relays are ok; the thermal sensor is ok as the
> gauge shows ok and this is the only sensor from the radiator.
>
> My search found that several people reported similar problems, but
> unfortunately there was no follow up on what was wrong.
>
> What can possibly be wrong ? Any suggestions before I go to the dealership ?
>
>
> Regards,
> Stanjo
>
>
>
>

My 2001 ZX3 does the same thing (last night in traffic, actually). The
fans won't kick in until the temperature gauge is nearly to or touching
the red zone way at the high end of the scale. Next time let it go and
see if that's what happens. If they don't work then, the worst that
will happen is you will boil coolant out.

Ron
  Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2005, 09:01   #3 (permalink)
Henri
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: strange overheating problem

I had the same problem back in 2001, 6 months after I purchased the car and
it was diagnosed by the dealer as a defective AC Resistor Assy. They
replaced the assembly. The part number was # F5RZ*8L603*AC. I have found out
that this is another common problem with the 2000-2002 Focus.

Ford Quality is Job ZERO - Fords answer to the YUGO.

I now have a file over 2 inches thick on all the repairs that have been
made to this car. Unfortunately the resale value on these Focus cars is so
low, its not worth selling it, its " keep to the thing till wheels drop
off".






  Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2005, 10:01   #4 (permalink)
Chris Whelan
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: strange overheating problem

Henri wrote:

> Ford Quality is Job ZERO - Fords answer to the YUGO.
>
> I now have a file over 2 inches thick on all the repairs that have been
> made to this car. Unfortunately the resale value on these Focus cars is so
> low, its not worth selling it, its " keep to the thing till wheels drop
> off".


I've had my Focus for more than 6 years, and 78K miles. Apart from a couple
of trivial problems sorted out by the dealer in the first year the only
failure has been the vehicle speed sensor. I changed this myself in 45
minutes at a cost of about 25UKP.

Maybe I have been exceptionally lucky and you have been very unlucky, but
the statistics on Focus reliability show my experience to be the most
typical.

Chris

--
Remove prejudice to reply.
  Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2005, 15:01   #5 (permalink)
Frog Legs
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: strange overheating problem

RonrutMR2 <ronrut@hotmail.com> wrote in news:bOHcf.2857$rN2.2455
@bignews2.bellsouth.net:

> My 2001 ZX3 does the same thing (last night in traffic, actually). The
> fans won't kick in until the temperature gauge is nearly to or touching
> the red zone way at the high end of the scale. Next time let it go and
> see if that's what happens. If they don't work then, the worst that
> will happen is you will boil coolant out.
>


Well no, the worst that can happen is the head will warp, allowing water to
get into the oil which will ruin the engine bearing!
  Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2005, 08:01   #6 (permalink)
Dave Gower
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: strange overheating problem


"Henri" <henri_latour@hotmail.com> wrote

> Ford Quality is Job ZERO - Fords answer to the YUGO.


That's not what all the rating agencies say

> ...resale value on these Focus cars is so low, its not worth selling it


The depreciation has in fact improved now that the early bugs have been
resolved, and is now about the same as equivalent cars.

You know, Henri, if you weren't so addicted to self-pity you might get the
facts and stop making yourself look so silly.


  Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2005, 19:01   #7 (permalink)
Stanjo
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: strange overheating problem

Hanri,

Thanks for the info.
The Resistor Assembly checked out ok.
At this point I'm afraid it's the ECU or a driver in the ECU. I'll be
testing it during the weekend.

Regards,
Stanjo


"Henri" <henri_latour@hotmail.com> wrote in message
news:PrJcf.484888$tl2.449394@pd7tw3no...
>I had the same problem back in 2001, 6 months after I purchased the car and
> it was diagnosed by the dealer as a defective AC Resistor Assy. They
> replaced the assembly. The part number was # F5RZ*8L603*AC. I have found
> out
> that this is another common problem with the 2000-2002 Focus.
>
> Ford Quality is Job ZERO - Fords answer to the YUGO.
>
> I now have a file over 2 inches thick on all the repairs that have been
> made to this car. Unfortunately the resale value on these Focus cars is so
> low, its not worth selling it, its " keep to the thing till wheels drop
> off".
>
>
>
>
>
>



  Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2005, 23:01   #8 (permalink)
Henri
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: strange overheating problem

European Focus cars are better made than North American ones. This is a
north American focus.
Why that is who knows.

Oh! but wait a minute, I am sure that Dave Gower person will have an
opinion. He is a Troll.


"Chris Whelan" <cawhelan@prejudicentlworld.com> wrote in message
news:stKcf.6715$c66.2465@newsfe3-gui.ntli.net...
Henri wrote:

> Ford Quality is Job ZERO - Fords answer to the YUGO.
>
> I now have a file over 2 inches thick on all the repairs that have been
> made to this car. Unfortunately the resale value on these Focus cars is so
> low, its not worth selling it, its " keep to the thing till wheels drop
> off".


I've had my Focus for more than 6 years, and 78K miles. Apart from a couple
of trivial problems sorted out by the dealer in the first year the only
failure has been the vehicle speed sensor. I changed this myself in 45
minutes at a cost of about 25UKP.

Maybe I have been exceptionally lucky and you have been very unlucky, but
the statistics on Focus reliability show my experience to be the most
typical.

Chris

--
Remove prejudice to reply.


  Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2005, 23:01   #9 (permalink)
Henri
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: strange overheating problem

How's the TROLL business! Haven't heard from you for a while.

"Dave Gower" <davegow-spamblock@magma.ca> wrote in message
news:NNSdnZ71QNRDMenenZ2dnUVZ_sKdnZ2d@magma.ca...

"Henri" <henri_latour@hotmail.com> wrote

> Ford Quality is Job ZERO - Fords answer to the YUGO.


That's not what all the rating agencies say

> ...resale value on these Focus cars is so low, its not worth selling it


The depreciation has in fact improved now that the early bugs have been
resolved, and is now about the same as equivalent cars.

You know, Henri, if you weren't so addicted to self-pity you might get the
facts and stop making yourself look so silly.



  Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2005, 04:01   #10 (permalink)
Chris Whelan
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: strange overheating problem

<Top posting corrected>

>> Ford Quality is Job ZERO - Fords answer to the YUGO.
>>
>> I now have a file over 2 inches thick on all the repairs that have been
>> made to this car. Unfortunately the resale value on these Focus cars is
>> so low, its not worth selling it, its " keep to the thing till wheels
>> drop off".

>
> I've had my Focus for more than 6 years, and 78K miles. Apart from a
> couple of trivial problems sorted out by the dealer in the first year the
> only failure has been the vehicle speed sensor. I changed this myself in
> 45 minutes at a cost of about 25UKP.
>
> Maybe I have been exceptionally lucky and you have been very unlucky, but
> the statistics on Focus reliability show my experience to be the most
> typical.
>
> Chris
>

Henri wrote:

> European Focus cars are better made than North American ones. This is a
> north American focus.


Perhaps you should have made that clearer before your rant?


> Why that is who knows.


Isn't everything in Europe better made than the equivalent in NA :-)


> Oh! but wait a minute, I am sure that Dave Gower person will have an
> opinion. He is a Troll.
>


If that were true, at least he could stop being a Troll if he wanted. You,
on the other hand, will always be a 'Merkin.

HTH

Chris

--
Remove prejudice to reply.
  Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

  Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Fordforums Community > USENET NewsGroups > alt.autos.ford.focus



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are Off
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.2

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 17:47.



Powered by vBulletin® Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0
Garage Plus vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.