Timing Belt - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Fordforums Community > USENET NewsGroups > alt.autos.ford.focus
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-19-2005, 17:01   #1 (permalink)
Bobby
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Timing Belt

Hi,

I own a 2000 Focus LX (North American). It just turned 101 000 KM.
Should I replace the timing belt? If so, what is an approxiate cost of
it (US or CA currency)?

Thanks
  Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 09-19-2005, 21:01   #2 (permalink)
EOO
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Timing Belt


"Bobby" <a@a.b.c.d> wrote in message
news:WJHXe.24613$Wo4.234176@weber.videotron.net...
> Hi,
>
> I own a 2000 Focus LX (North American). It just turned 101 000 KM. Should
> I replace the timing belt? If so, what is an approxiate cost of it (US or
> CA currency)?
>
> Thanks


Ford recommends to replace the belt at 100,000 miles. I did mine at 89,000
and it looked like it was about due.

I went overboard and let them replace the water pump and install a new
tensioner along with the belt.

Labor was $296.00 and the belt kit w/tensioner kit was $239.00 minus a
discount I have with this shop.

I think the belt alone is about $150.00.


  Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2005, 03:01   #3 (permalink)
Stephen F.
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Timing Belt


"EOO" <whereeverforever.com> wrote in message
news:FYGdnbkkioyK5LLeRVn-qg@comcast.com...
>
> Ford recommends to replace the belt at 100,000 miles. I did mine at
> 89,000 and it looked like it was about due.
>
> I went overboard and let them replace the water pump and install a new
> tensioner along with the belt.
>
> Labor was $296.00 and the belt kit w/tensioner kit was $239.00 minus a
> discount I have with this shop.
>
> I think the belt alone is about $150.00.
>


Replacing the water pump and tensioner at the same time is not going
overboard in most cars, it is being sensible. Nothing worse than having the
t-belt done then finding coolant on the road a few months later, or have the
tensioner go...

That price seems a bit high (but not dramatically). I would shop around a
little.


  Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2005, 05:01   #4 (permalink)
Bobby
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Timing Belt

EOO wrote:
> "Bobby" <a@a.b.c.d> wrote in message
> news:WJHXe.24613$Wo4.234176@weber.videotron.net...
>
>>Hi,
>>
>>I own a 2000 Focus LX (North American). It just turned 101 000 KM. Should
>>I replace the timing belt? If so, what is an approxiate cost of it (US or
>>CA currency)?
>>
>>Thanks

>
>
> Ford recommends to replace the belt at 100,000 miles. I did mine at 89,000
> and it looked like it was about due.
>
> I went overboard and let them replace the water pump and install a new
> tensioner along with the belt.
>
> Labor was $296.00 and the belt kit w/tensioner kit was $239.00 minus a
> discount I have with this shop.
>
> I think the belt alone is about $150.00.
>
>

OK, so 100 000 miles is like 150 000 KM?

Thanks
  Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2005, 01:01   #5 (permalink)
dragon
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Timing Belt

> OK, so 100 000 miles is like 150 000 KM?
>
> Thanks


not exactly but close.. it is 160,934.4 KMs

ahmet

turkey


  Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2005, 00:01   #6 (permalink)
Gary Avrett
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Timing Belt

Yes it should be replaced. Not sure of the cost but I believe it to be
around $55 for the belt itself excluding labor charges.

"Bobby" <a@a.b.c.d> wrote in message
news:WJHXe.24613$Wo4.234176@weber.videotron.net...
> Hi,
>
> I own a 2000 Focus LX (North American). It just turned 101 000 KM. Should
> I replace the timing belt? If so, what is an approxiate cost of it (US or
> CA currency)?
>
> Thanks
>



  Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2005, 09:01   #7 (permalink)
Henri
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Timing Belt

Ford recommends that the Cam belt be changed at 200,000 Kms.

You can go longer if the engine is a Zetec as it is non interference in
stock form, so if the belt breaks the engine just stops.


"dragon" <dondragon38@hotmail.com> wrote in message
news:433257b6$0$49008$14726298@news.sunsite.dk...
> OK, so 100 000 miles is like 150 000 KM?
>
> Thanks


not exactly but close.. it is 160,934.4 KMs

ahmet

turkey



  Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2005, 19:01   #8 (permalink)
Tony Wesley
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Timing Belt


EOO wrote:
> "Bobby" <a@a.b.c.d> wrote in message
> news:WJHXe.24613$Wo4.234176@weber.videotron.net...
> > Hi,
> >
> > I own a 2000 Focus LX (North American). It just turned 101 000 KM. Should
> > I replace the timing belt? If so, what is an approxiate cost of it (US or
> > CA currency)?
> >
> > Thanks

>
> Ford recommends to replace the belt at 100,000 miles.


On mine (2001 SE Wagon 2.0 Zetec built at Wayne Michigan), the interval
is 120,000 miles.

I had it replaced at 100,000.

  Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2005, 09:01   #9 (permalink)
Tim
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Timing Belt

On 2005-09-25, Henri <henri_latour@hotmail.com> wrote:
> Ford recommends that the Cam belt be changed at 200,000 Kms.
>
> You can go longer if the engine is a Zetec as it is non interference in
> stock form, so if the belt breaks the engine just stops.
>


That isn't the case with all engines. Some of them are
interference designs, certainly in the UK and Europe.
--
Tim.

tim@spiny-norman.net
  Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

  Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Fordforums Community > USENET NewsGroups > alt.autos.ford.focus



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are Off
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.2

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 18:56.



Powered by vBulletin® Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0
Garage Plus vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.