when to buy used car? - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
» Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Fordforums Community > USENET NewsGroups > alt.autos.ford.focus
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-10-2005, 15:01   #1 (permalink)
jclark
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
when to buy used car?

Hi,

I'm thinking of buying a two or three year old Ford Focus 5d 1.6L
petrol hatchback. Do you think I should wait for the January sales or
anything like that? I don't know much about buying cars and so I'm not
sure when they will be cheapest. I can wait all year if necessary,
there is no rush. I want to buy from a Ford dealer if possible so as to
have good aftercare.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Jen

  Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 10-10-2005, 15:01   #2 (permalink)
Matt C
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: when to buy used car?

"jclark" <jclark@ebi.ac.uk> wrote in message
news:1128975303.964332.268990@g47g2000cwa.googlegroups.com...
> Hi,
>
> I'm thinking of buying a two or three year old Ford Focus 5d 1.6L
> petrol hatchback. Do you think I should wait for the January sales or
> anything like that? I don't know much about buying cars and so I'm not
> sure when they will be cheapest. I can wait all year if necessary,
> there is no rush. I want to buy from a Ford dealer if possible so as to
> have good aftercare.
>
> Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Jen



Hi,

I don't think the price of 2nd hand cars will decrease due to January sales.
The time they're likely to decrease is when a new reg is brought into play -
there'll be more to sell. New registrations are brought into play in March &
September I think. This is because people will be part exchanging a lot of
their cars for the new model etc.

You are probably looking at a price range of about 6750 from a Ford dealer.
These cars are likely to be ex mobility, which means they are only allowed a
certain amount of mileage per year. To be fair these cars will be well
looked after, but again, you do pay the price premium. I recently bought a
52 reg Focus (3 door) from a private dealer, it cost 6500. This beat every
Ford dealer price plus it was a special edition model with lower mileage.

I think if you give it a test drive and it feels OK plus it has full service
history you will be OK with any 2nd hand dealer, especially on cars so new.
My advice is to ask plenty of questions, a link below may help you:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/motoring/buying.../usedcar.shtml


HTH,

Matt


  Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2005, 16:01   #3 (permalink)
Alan
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: when to buy used car?

In message <SuA2f.126321$G8.95248@text.news.blueyonder.co.uk>, Matt C
<matt17485@g_remove_mail.com> wrote


>You are probably looking at a price range of about 6750 from a Ford dealer.
>These cars are likely to be ex mobility, which means they are only allowed a
>certain amount of mileage per year. To be fair these cars will be well
>looked after, but again, you do pay the price premium.


Watch out for the bullshit from the Ford dealers. You will also pay a
premium for the other services the Ford dealers offer when you buy the
car. I was offered a 'cheap' loan at 2% more than I could have obtained
instantly from at least 3 other sources. The special insurance that
no-one would be able to beat was over 100 more than I was quoted by my
existing insurance company.
--
Alan
mailto:news2me_a_2003@amacleod.clara.co.uk
  Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2005, 05:01   #4 (permalink)
Matt C
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: when to buy used car?


"Alan" <junk_news_a@amacleod.clara.co.uk> wrote in message
news:cJ5n+xD8suSDFwEB@amacleod.clara.co.uk...
> In message <SuA2f.126321$G8.95248@text.news.blueyonder.co.uk>, Matt C
> <matt17485@g_remove_mail.com> wrote
>
>
>>You are probably looking at a price range of about 6750 from a Ford
>>dealer.
>>These cars are likely to be ex mobility, which means they are only allowed
>>a
>>certain amount of mileage per year. To be fair these cars will be well
>>looked after, but again, you do pay the price premium.

>
> Watch out for the bullshit from the Ford dealers. You will also pay a
> premium for the other services the Ford dealers offer when you buy the
> car. I was offered a 'cheap' loan at 2% more than I could have obtained
> instantly from at least 3 other sources. The special insurance that no-one
> would be able to beat was over 100 more than I was quoted by my existing
> insurance company.



Yes I agree, never ever (well 99% of the time!) use the finance packages as
offered by car dealers. This is how they make their money most of the time
by offering 'super low' finance which is as you say 2-3% more than usual
loan companies!

When I was getting the best price, I noticed the Ford dealers would not
budge one bit on price. For example, screen price would be 6999 yet to get
it to 6750 you had to work for it. They would simply not go any lower,
don't be fooled into getting the models such as the 'cl' or 'lx' either
which is what they offered me for 6500. I got the impression from one of
the dealers I spoke to that people do pay the 7000 which is why they were
not prepared for an instant sale at 6500. It baffled me as I expect 500
off screen price instantly anyway.


Matt






  Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2005, 11:01   #5 (permalink)
jclark
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: when to buy used car?

Thanks for the advice, that's really helpful. What does 'ex mobility'
mean?

Jen

  Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2005, 13:01   #6 (permalink)
Mike Hunter
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: when to buy used car?

A used car deprecates every month, including the vehicle you have to trade.
Used cars take their biggest hit when new models arrive at dealerships in
the fall and again with the advent of the next calendar year. The 'best'
time to buy is when you find that one really great car and it suits your
budget. ;)

mike hunt
"jclark" <jclark@ebi.ac.uk> wrote in message
news:1128975303.964332.268990@g47g2000cwa.googlegroups.com...
> Hi,
>
> I'm thinking of buying a two or three year old Ford Focus 5d 1.6L
> petrol hatchback. Do you think I should wait for the January sales or
> anything like that? I don't know much about buying cars and so I'm not
> sure when they will be cheapest. I can wait all year if necessary,
> there is no rush. I want to buy from a Ford dealer if possible so as to
> have good aftercare.
>
> Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Jen
>



  Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2005, 13:01   #7 (permalink)
Matt C
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: when to buy used car?

"jclark" <jclark@ebi.ac.uk> wrote in message
news:1129047832.044167.244460@z14g2000cwz.googlegroups.com...
> Thanks for the advice, that's really helpful. What does 'ex mobility'
> mean?
>
> Jen


http://www.ford.co.uk/static/motabil...ab_about/-/-/-

That should help you, when I was buying my car every car seemed to be ex
mobility (or motability).

In essence, it's likely these cars have done very low mileage, they've only
been used for short shop runs and are well looked after.


Matt


  Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2005, 13:01   #8 (permalink)
Bob Minchin
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: when to buy used car?


Mike Hunter wrote in message ...
snip
The 'best'
>time to buy is when you find that one really great car and it suits your
>budget. ;)

snip


Have you studied long and hard to attain special qualifications to be able
to state the blindingly bleeding obvious or was it just a momentary flash of
inspiration on your part Mike?

Bob


  Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

  Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Fordforums Community > USENET NewsGroups > alt.autos.ford.focus



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are Off
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.2

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 11:05.



Powered by vBulletin® Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0
Garage Plus vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.