04 Taurus Motor Oil - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Fordforums Community > USENET NewsGroups > alt.autos.ford
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-30-2006, 13:01   #1 (permalink)
Warlock
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
04 Taurus Motor Oil

2004 Taurus. 5W20 recommended. Using fully synthetic 5W30.

Aside from a slight decrease in fuel efficiency, any possible consequences
of which I should be aware?


  Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 01-30-2006, 13:01   #2 (permalink)
CJB
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: 04 Taurus Motor Oil

A voided warranty if you tell the dealer.

CJB

"Warlock" <dunce@dodo.com> wrote in message
news:1ruDf.8963$vU2.4879@newsread3.news.atl.earthlink.net...
> 2004 Taurus. 5W20 recommended. Using fully synthetic 5W30.
>
> Aside from a slight decrease in fuel efficiency, any possible consequences
> of which I should be aware?
>



  Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2006, 13:01   #3 (permalink)
FanJet
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: 04 Taurus Motor Oil

Warlock wrote:
> 2004 Taurus. 5W20 recommended. Using fully synthetic 5W30.
>
> Aside from a slight decrease in fuel efficiency, any possible
> consequences of which I should be aware?


If anything, you should see a slight increase. I use 0W30 in place of 5W20
year around. Great stuff. There are no negative consequences other than,
possibly, cost. One may be able to argue that synthetic oil isn't justified
given your set of circumstances. I'll leave that possibility for others.


  Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2006, 14:01   #4 (permalink)
Warlock
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: 04 Taurus Motor Oil

"CJB" <colonyparkwagon@excite.nospam> wrote
>A voided warranty if you tell the dealer.



thanks for the reminder. i tend to talk too much.


>
> "Warlock" <dunce@dodo.com> wrote in message
> news:1ruDf.8963$vU2.4879@newsread3.news.atl.earthlink.net...
>> 2004 Taurus. 5W20 recommended. Using fully synthetic 5W30.
>>
>> Aside from a slight decrease in fuel efficiency, any possible
>> consequences of which I should be aware?
>>

>
>



  Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2006, 14:01   #5 (permalink)
Warlock
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: 04 Taurus Motor Oil

"FanJet" <FanJet27@hotmail.com> wrote
> Warlock wrote:
>> 2004 Taurus. 5W20 recommended. Using fully synthetic 5W30.
>> Aside from a slight decrease in fuel efficiency, any possible
>> consequences of which I should be aware?

>
> If anything, you should see a slight increase. I use 0W30 in place of 5W20
> year around. Great stuff. There are no negative consequences other than,
> possibly, cost.


I went with the Mobil1 5w30 simply because my retailer sells it in the five
quart container at a savings over buying the 5w20 in separate quart
containers. in regard to fuel efficiency, my car's system is reporting a
loss of about 10% mpg under identical driving conditions over the last
month. hmm...

> One may be able to argue that synthetic oil isn't justified given your set
> of circumstances. I'll leave that possibility for others.
>
>



  Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2006, 14:01   #6 (permalink)
trainfan1
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: 04 Taurus Motor Oil

CJB wrote:
> A voided warranty if you tell the dealer.
>
> CJB


BZZZZZZZZZ!

Wrong answer. As long as it meets or exceeds the SAE requirement he's OK.

Google up "Magnuson Moss".

Rob

>
> "Warlock" <dunce@dodo.com> wrote in message
> news:1ruDf.8963$vU2.4879@newsread3.news.atl.earthlink.net...
>
>>2004 Taurus. 5W20 recommended. Using fully synthetic 5W30.
>>
>>Aside from a slight decrease in fuel efficiency, any possible consequences
>>of which I should be aware?
>>

>
>
>

  Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2006, 15:01   #7 (permalink)
trainfan1
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: 04 Taurus Motor Oil

Warlock wrote:

> 2004 Taurus. 5W20 recommended. Using fully synthetic 5W30.
>
> Aside from a slight decrease in fuel efficiency, any possible consequences
> of which I should be aware?
>
>


Only consequence I can think of is that by the time your engine
accumulates 300,000 - 400,000 miles, the rest of the car will be rusted
out or falling apart.

If the Taurus is driven regularly and for distance driving(35K-40K mi.
per year), you can get 18,000 to 20,000 miles per oil change too.

Rob
  Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2006, 15:01   #8 (permalink)
Mike Hunter
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: 04 Taurus Motor Oil

None, several years ago the manufactures went to 5W20 to increase overall
CAFE. By doing so they must recommend the same to buyers.


mike hunt


"Warlock" <dunce@dodo.com> wrote in message
news:1ruDf.8963$vU2.4879@newsread3.news.atl.earthlink.net...
> 2004 Taurus. 5W20 recommended. Using fully synthetic 5W30.
>
> Aside from a slight decrease in fuel efficiency, any possible consequences
> of which I should be aware?
>



  Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2006, 20:01   #9 (permalink)
FanJet
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: 04 Taurus Motor Oil

Warlock wrote:
> "FanJet" <FanJet27@hotmail.com> wrote
>> Warlock wrote:
>>> 2004 Taurus. 5W20 recommended. Using fully synthetic 5W30.
>>> Aside from a slight decrease in fuel efficiency, any possible
>>> consequences of which I should be aware?

>>
>> If anything, you should see a slight increase. I use 0W30 in place
>> of 5W20 year around. Great stuff. There are no negative consequences
>> other than, possibly, cost.

>
> I went with the Mobil1 5w30 simply because my retailer sells it in
> the five quart container at a savings over buying the 5w20 in
> separate quart containers. in regard to fuel efficiency, my car's
> system is reporting a loss of about 10% mpg under identical driving
> conditions over the last month. hmm...


I doubt it's the oil. Maybe winter gasoline formulation or some other
variable.


  Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2006, 00:01   #10 (permalink)
Jim Warman
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: 04 Taurus Motor Oil

Somewhere in your owners manual, you will find a chart sugggesting which oil
viscosities are recommended for which temperature ranges.... A little tough
for me to check our tech site since I'm in Edmonton and doomed to using
"turtlenet" for the next three days.

Advice to all... the owners manual is an absolute wealth of information....
yet it remains to be the most expensive unread book in print...


"Warlock" <dunce@dodo.com> wrote in message
news:1ruDf.8963$vU2.4879@newsread3.news.atl.earthlink.net...
> 2004 Taurus. 5W20 recommended. Using fully synthetic 5W30.
>
> Aside from a slight decrease in fuel efficiency, any possible consequences
> of which I should be aware?
>



  Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

  Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Fordforums Community > USENET NewsGroups > alt.autos.ford



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are Off
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.2

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 07:47.



Powered by vBulletin® Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0
Garage Plus vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.