1988 Grand marquis won't start. - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 12-03-05, 09:01 PM
Dude
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
1988 Grand marquis won't start.

I accidentally left interior lights on in the vehicle over night. of course
the battery drained down in -22C weather. I attempted to boost car with a
spare battery. while doing so something went pow & I smelled an electrical
burning smell from under the hood. Recharged battery all day & car turns
over fine but no start. I did some checking, & found out I have no spark at
the plugs. Tomorrow will check coil resistance's again. can check TFI
module. Do I have to take distributor out on this module to remove TFI
module? Any suggestions on other possibilities?




 
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 12-04-05, 07:01 AM
Backyard Mechanic
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: 1988 Grand marquis won't start.

"Dude" <H.husky@world.com> wrote:

> I accidentally left interior lights on in the vehicle over night. of
> course the battery drained down in -22C weather. I attempted to boost
> car with a spare battery. while doing so something went pow & I
> smelled an electrical burning smell from under the hood. Recharged
> battery all day & car turns over fine but no start. I did some
> checking, & found out I have no spark at the plugs. Tomorrow will
> check coil resistance's again. can check TFI module. Do I have to take
> distributor out on this module to remove TFI module? Any suggestions
> on other possibilities?


Do you hear fuel pump at 'key-on' and does check engine light come on?

Will you guys QUIT with the 'resistance checks'!..MEANS almost NOTHING
unless you REALLY know your electrical theory.
Check for power to coil + at key-on? Should be 8-10 volts, 10-12 on
crank. coil minus flickering when engine cranked?

But I suspect you have a serious electrical burnout, hopefully just a
fuse-link. But I doubt it.



--
Yeh, I'm a Krusty old Geezer, putting up with my 'smartass' is the price
you pay..DEAL with it!
 
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 12-04-05, 05:01 PM
Dude
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: 1988 Grand marquis won't start.


"Backyard Mechanic" <pettyfog@yaywho.com> wrote in message
news:Xns97225B3EA9A7Fpettyfogery@207.115.63.158...
> "Dude" <H.husky@world.com> wrote:
>
> > I accidentally left interior lights on in the vehicle over night. of
> > course the battery drained down in -22C weather. I attempted to boost
> > car with a spare battery. while doing so something went pow & I
> > smelled an electrical burning smell from under the hood. Recharged
> > battery all day & car turns over fine but no start. I did some
> > checking, & found out I have no spark at the plugs. Tomorrow will
> > check coil resistance's again. can check TFI module. Do I have to take
> > distributor out on this module to remove TFI module? Any suggestions
> > on other possibilities?

>
> Do you hear fuel pump at 'key-on' and does check engine light come on?

Yes I hear the fuel pump at key on, & the engine check light does come on.

>
> Will you guys QUIT with the 'resistance checks'!..MEANS almost NOTHING
> unless you REALLY know your electrical theory.
> Check for power to coil + at key-on? Should be 8-10 volts, 10-12 on
> crank. coil minus flickering when engine cranked?

I will check that again. Yes I have 12 volts at coil when cranking. I also
followed Haynes manual, and placed a test light on coil negative, & grounded
out the secondary side. Test light lit up when turning key to on position.
It dimmed a bit when cranking, but i did not notice any flickering. Should
the flickering be real noticible?

>
> But I suspect you have a serious electrical burnout, hopefully just a
> fuse-link. But I doubt it.


Like how serious are we talking here? I think I caught all the fuse links &
tested for power on both sides, & the ones I tested checked ok.
>
>
> --
> Yeh, I'm a Krusty old Geezer, putting up with my 'smartass' is the price
> you pay..DEAL with it!



 
post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 12-04-05, 05:01 PM
Backyard Mechanic
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: 1988 Grand marquis won't start.

"Dude" <H.husky@world.com> wrote:

>
> "Backyard Mechanic" <pettyfog@yaywho.com> wrote in message
> news:Xns97225B3EA9A7Fpettyfogery@207.115.63.158...
>> "Dude" <H.husky@world.com> wrote:
>>
>> > I accidentally left interior lights on in the vehicle over night.
>> > of course the battery drained down in -22C weather. I attempted to
>> > boost car with a spare battery. while doing so something went pow &
>> > I smelled an electrical burning smell from under the hood.
>> > Recharged battery all day & car turns over fine but no start. I did
>> > some checking, & found out I have no spark at the plugs. Tomorrow
>> > will check coil resistance's again. can check TFI module. Do I have
>> > to take distributor out on this module to remove TFI module? Any
>> > suggestions on other possibilities?

>>
>> Do you hear fuel pump at 'key-on' and does check engine light come
>> on?

> Yes I hear the fuel pump at key on, & the engine check light does come
> on.
>
>>
>> Will you guys QUIT with the 'resistance checks'!..MEANS almost
>> NOTHING unless you REALLY know your electrical theory.
>> Check for power to coil + at key-on? Should be 8-10 volts, 10-12 on
>> crank. coil minus flickering when engine cranked?

> I will check that again. Yes I have 12 volts at coil when cranking. I
> also followed Haynes manual, and placed a test light on coil negative,
> & grounded out the secondary side. Test light lit up when turning key
> to on position. It dimmed a bit when cranking, but i did not notice
> any flickering. Should the flickering be real noticible?
>


Well I could perceive flicker when I did it.. but that was a four cyl..



>
> Like how serious are we talking here? I think I caught all the fuse
> links & tested for power on both sides, & the ones I tested checked
> ok.
>>


hmmm.. you could be right about the TFI..


--
Yeh, I'm a Krusty old Geezer, putting up with my 'smartass' is the price
you pay..DEAL with it!
 
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 12-04-05, 10:01 PM
Dude
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: 1988 Grand marquis won't start.


"Backyard Mechanic" <pettyfog@yaywho.com> wrote in message
news:Xns9722BD08E53E0pettyfogery@207.115.63.158...
> "Dude" <H.husky@world.com> wrote:
>
> >
> > "Backyard Mechanic" <pettyfog@yaywho.com> wrote in message
> > news:Xns97225B3EA9A7Fpettyfogery@207.115.63.158...
> >> "Dude" <H.husky@world.com> wrote:
> >>
> >> > I accidentally left interior lights on in the vehicle over night.
> >> > of course the battery drained down in -22C weather. I attempted to
> >> > boost car with a spare battery. while doing so something went pow &
> >> > I smelled an electrical burning smell from under the hood.
> >> > Recharged battery all day & car turns over fine but no start. I did
> >> > some checking, & found out I have no spark at the plugs. Tomorrow
> >> > will check coil resistance's again. can check TFI module. Do I have
> >> > to take distributor out on this module to remove TFI module? Any
> >> > suggestions on other possibilities?
> >>
> >> Do you hear fuel pump at 'key-on' and does check engine light come
> >> on?

> > Yes I hear the fuel pump at key on, & the engine check light does come
> > on.
> >
> >>
> >> Will you guys QUIT with the 'resistance checks'!..MEANS almost
> >> NOTHING unless you REALLY know your electrical theory.
> >> Check for power to coil + at key-on? Should be 8-10 volts, 10-12 on
> >> crank. coil minus flickering when engine cranked?

> > I will check that again. Yes I have 12 volts at coil when cranking. I
> > also followed Haynes manual, and placed a test light on coil negative,
> > & grounded out the secondary side. Test light lit up when turning key
> > to on position. It dimmed a bit when cranking, but i did not notice
> > any flickering. Should the flickering be real noticible?
> >

>
> Well I could perceive flicker when I did it.. but that was a four cyl..
>
>
>
> >
> > Like how serious are we talking here? I think I caught all the fuse
> > links & tested for power on both sides, & the ones I tested checked
> > ok.
> >>

>
> hmmm.. you could be right about the TFI..


It is so dam cold here now, & even though I have a garage it is unheated and
everything is difficult & stiff to work on. If it was summer time I Would
take my time & do it myself. I truly suspect it is either the TFI & the
pickup in the distributor. I had this vehicle for 10 1/2 years now & never
had any starting difficulties with it.With out proper diagnostic equipment
it would be just changing out parts (not that that would hurt, not knowing
how old they are anyway.) So I am, going to have it towed somewhere this
week, & pay the big bucks to have it repaired. I will post what they found.
>
>
> --
> Yeh, I'm a Krusty old Geezer, putting up with my 'smartass' is the price
> you pay..DEAL with it!



 
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

  Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Fordforums Community > USENET NewsGroups > alt.autos.ford


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are Off
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome