1996 Winstar Interior lights won't shut off - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Fordforums Community > USENET NewsGroups > alt.autos.ford
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-21-2005, 16:01   #1 (permalink)
News Reeder
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
1996 Winstar Interior lights won't shut off

I had this problem before and I cleaned what I believe to be the contacts,
but when stopped, and ignition off the interior lights will not shut off,
and I disconnected the battery. What door sensor might be the culprit? What
the best way to diagnose the problem?

Thank you


  Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 11-21-2005, 21:01   #2 (permalink)
johanb
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: 1996 Winstar Interior lights won't shut off

Turned the dash dimmer wheel too far ?????????


"News Reeder" <nospamforme@spam.net> wrote in message
news:99ednSEf4Icr3h_eRVn-ig@rogers.com...
> I had this problem before and I cleaned what I believe to be the contacts,
> but when stopped, and ignition off the interior lights will not shut off,
> and I disconnected the battery. What door sensor might be the culprit?

What
> the best way to diagnose the problem?
>
> Thank you
>
>
>



  Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2005, 03:01   #3 (permalink)
Shoe Salesman
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: 1996 Winstar Interior lights won't shut off


"johanb" <ollieb1oREMOVE@THIScs.com> wrote in message
news:2vwgf.51$j9.3258@news.uswest.net...
> Turned the dash dimmer wheel too far ?????????
>
>
> "News Reeder" <nospamforme@spam.net> wrote in message
> news:99ednSEf4Icr3h_eRVn-ig@rogers.com...
>> I had this problem before and I cleaned what I believe to be the
>> contacts,
>> but when stopped, and ignition off the interior lights will not shut off,
>> and I disconnected the battery. What door sensor might be the culprit?

> What
>> the best way to diagnose the problem?
>>
>> Thank you

Try lubing the crap out of the latches with WD or the like and work them by
opening and closing the doors. Drivers door is the most likely. I am
assuming that van is like the Taurus (very common problem on that car) and
has the switches in the latch.


  Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2005, 04:01   #4 (permalink)
Backyard Mechanic
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: 1996 Winstar Interior lights won't shut off

"News Reeder" <nospamforme@spam.net> wrote:

> I had this problem before and I cleaned what I believe to be the
> contacts, but when stopped, and ignition off the interior lights will
> not shut off, and I disconnected the battery. What door sensor might
> be the culprit? What the best way to diagnose the problem?
>
> Thank you
>
>


wd-40 all door latches

--
Yeh, I'm a Krusty old Geezer, putting up with my 'smartass' is the price
you pay..DEAL with it!
  Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2005, 14:01   #5 (permalink)
News Reeder
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: 1996 Winstar Interior lights won't shut off

tried the WD-40, problem is still there, although the lights do shut off
after 30 mins or so, so I am assuming a sensor somewhere?

"Backyard Mechanic" <pettyfog@yaywho.com> wrote in message
news:Xns97163C6935CC5pettyfogery@207.115.63.158...
> "News Reeder" <nospamforme@spam.net> wrote:
>
>> I had this problem before and I cleaned what I believe to be the
>> contacts, but when stopped, and ignition off the interior lights will
>> not shut off, and I disconnected the battery. What door sensor might
>> be the culprit? What the best way to diagnose the problem?
>>
>> Thank you
>>
>>

>
> wd-40 all door latches
>
> --
> Yeh, I'm a Krusty old Geezer, putting up with my 'smartass' is the price
> you pay..DEAL with it!



  Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2005, 03:01   #6 (permalink)
Tom Duller
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: 1996 Winstar Interior lights won't shut off

If you haven't already done so (or even if you have) really blast the back
hatch with WD40. The openings in the sides. That is almost for sure what is
going on. Yes the lights do give up after about 30 minutes even if it "thinks"
a door is open.

Also if your can of WD40 is old, get a new one. You want it to really foam up
when you spray it.

Tom

In article <kOWdnSRrlb1A5B7enZ2dnUVZ_sidnZ2d@rogers.com>, "News Reeder"
<nospamforme@spam.net> wrote:
>tried the WD-40, problem is still there, although the lights do shut off
>after 30 mins or so, so I am assuming a sensor somewhere?
>
>"Backyard Mechanic" <pettyfog@yaywho.com> wrote in message
>news:Xns97163C6935CC5pettyfogery@207.115.63.158...
>> "News Reeder" <nospamforme@spam.net> wrote:
>>
>>> I had this problem before and I cleaned what I believe to be the
>>> contacts, but when stopped, and ignition off the interior lights will
>>> not shut off, and I disconnected the battery. What door sensor might
>>> be the culprit? What the best way to diagnose the problem?
>>>
>>> Thank you
>>>
>>>

>>
>> wd-40 all door latches
>>
>> --
>> Yeh, I'm a Krusty old Geezer, putting up with my 'smartass' is the price
>> you pay..DEAL with it!

>
>

  Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2005, 04:01   #7 (permalink)
News Reeder
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: 1996 Winstar Interior lights won't shut off

ok Tom...will attempt this again, is WD-40 the best?
"Tom Duller" <tduller@wi.rr.com> wrote in message
news:RBWgf.3711$js5.137@tornado.rdc-kc.rr.com...
> If you haven't already done so (or even if you have) really blast the back
> hatch with WD40. The openings in the sides. That is almost for sure what
> is
> going on. Yes the lights do give up after about 30 minutes even if it
> "thinks"
> a door is open.
>
> Also if your can of WD40 is old, get a new one. You want it to really foam
> up
> when you spray it.
>
> Tom
>
> In article <kOWdnSRrlb1A5B7enZ2dnUVZ_sidnZ2d@rogers.com>, "News Reeder"
> <nospamforme@spam.net> wrote:
>>tried the WD-40, problem is still there, although the lights do shut off
>>after 30 mins or so, so I am assuming a sensor somewhere?
>>
>>"Backyard Mechanic" <pettyfog@yaywho.com> wrote in message
>>news:Xns97163C6935CC5pettyfogery@207.115.63.158...
>>> "News Reeder" <nospamforme@spam.net> wrote:
>>>
>>>> I had this problem before and I cleaned what I believe to be the
>>>> contacts, but when stopped, and ignition off the interior lights will
>>>> not shut off, and I disconnected the battery. What door sensor might
>>>> be the culprit? What the best way to diagnose the problem?
>>>>
>>>> Thank you
>>>>
>>>>
>>>
>>> wd-40 all door latches
>>>
>>> --
>>> Yeh, I'm a Krusty old Geezer, putting up with my 'smartass' is the price
>>> you pay..DEAL with it!

>>
>>



  Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2005, 03:01   #8 (permalink)
Tom Duller
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: 1996 Winstar Interior lights won't shut off

The best? I don't know.

The guy at the hardware store recommended it and it worked. I'm sure there's
probably something else, but I haven't had to pursue it.

I'm not any kind of expert. I just write about things that sound like things I
have dealt with.

That rear hatch is something I have sure dealt with...several times. It's not
a permanent fix, but it works for a year or three.

Tom

In article <RMadnYg3Hcow3BneRVn-iQ@rogers.com>, "News Reeder"
<nospamforme@spam.net> wrote:
>ok Tom...will attempt this again, is WD-40 the best?
>"Tom Duller" <tduller@wi.rr.com> wrote in message
>news:RBWgf.3711$js5.137@tornado.rdc-kc.rr.com...
>> If you haven't already done so (or even if you have) really blast the back
>> hatch with WD40. The openings in the sides. That is almost for sure what
>> is
>> going on. Yes the lights do give up after about 30 minutes even if it
>> "thinks"
>> a door is open.
>>
>> Also if your can of WD40 is old, get a new one. You want it to really foam
>> up
>> when you spray it.
>>
>> Tom
>>
>> In article <kOWdnSRrlb1A5B7enZ2dnUVZ_sidnZ2d@rogers.com>, "News Reeder"
>> <nospamforme@spam.net> wrote:
>>>tried the WD-40, problem is still there, although the lights do shut off
>>>after 30 mins or so, so I am assuming a sensor somewhere?
>>>
>>>"Backyard Mechanic" <pettyfog@yaywho.com> wrote in message
>>>news:Xns97163C6935CC5pettyfogery@207.115.63.158...
>>>> "News Reeder" <nospamforme@spam.net> wrote:
>>>>
>>>>> I had this problem before and I cleaned what I believe to be the
>>>>> contacts, but when stopped, and ignition off the interior lights will
>>>>> not shut off, and I disconnected the battery. What door sensor might
>>>>> be the culprit? What the best way to diagnose the problem?
>>>>>
>>>>> Thank you
>>>>>
>>>>>
>>>>
>>>> wd-40 all door latches
>>>>
>>>> --
>>>> Yeh, I'm a Krusty old Geezer, putting up with my 'smartass' is the price
>>>> you pay..DEAL with it!
>>>
>>>

>
>

  Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

  Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Fordforums Community > USENET NewsGroups > alt.autos.ford



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are Off
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.2

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 17:49.



Powered by vBulletin® Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0
Garage Plus vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.