2001 Ford Taurus Rough Idle - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Fordforums Community > USENET NewsGroups > alt.autos.ford
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-30-2005, 00:01   #1 (permalink)
Tony
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
2001 Ford Taurus Rough Idle

My 2001 Taurus with 101,000 miles showed a check engine light the
othere day. It rac fine for a few day then 2 days ago it start almost
dying when I idle. I can press accelerator and bring RPMs up to 1000
and it runs fine. Took it to local auto parts start, they put scanner
on it and said it was mixture to lean in bank 1 and 2. They told me to
run some high octane fuel for a couple of tank. Well not only did I do
that and it not help it, but I disconnected battery and light went off.
Car still idled very rough once it gets up to temp.

Does it sound like the O2 sensors just need replaced? How hard is it to
get to them? I do not mind doing it, as long as no special tools are
required.

Thanks for any input

Tony

  Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 10-30-2005, 06:01   #2 (permalink)
Tom Adkins
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: 2001 Ford Taurus Rough Idle

Tony wrote:
> My 2001 Taurus with 101,000 miles showed a check engine light the
> othere day. It rac fine for a few day then 2 days ago it start almost
> dying when I idle. I can press accelerator and bring RPMs up to 1000
> and it runs fine. Took it to local auto parts start, they put scanner
> on it and said it was mixture to lean in bank 1 and 2. They told me to
> run some high octane fuel for a couple of tank. Well not only did I do
> that and it not help it, but I disconnected battery and light went off.
> Car still idled very rough once it gets up to temp.
>
> Does it sound like the O2 sensors just need replaced? How hard is it to
> get to them? I do not mind doing it, as long as no special tools are
> required.
>
> Thanks for any input
>
> Tony
>

That sounds like a vacuum leak. Check all of the hoses and the PCV. If all looks
good, it could be an EGR concern. For faulty O2 sensors to indicate both banks lean
both upstream O2 sensors would have to be bad, not at all likely.
  Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2005, 06:01   #3 (permalink)
Backyard Mechanic
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: 2001 Ford Taurus Rough Idle

For anyone reading this...
we have to repeat "Do NOT rely on parts-store clerk interpreting the
codes." IF you are serious about finding problems, get the actual codes
and post them here.

On the bright side, at least he didnt try to sell you new O2 sensors.

Just for fun, Tony... when car is up to temp and idling rough... turn it
off and disconnect the MAF sensor harness. Then see how it idles, of
course that will set the lite.

Dirty MAF manifests in several different symptoms.

Also cleaning the IAC wouldnt hurt


"Tony" <bigtots@gmail.com> wrote in news:1130652422.919790.281500
@z14g2000cwz.googlegroups.com:

> My 2001 Taurus with 101,000 miles showed a check engine light the
> othere day. It rac fine for a few day then 2 days ago it start almost
> dying when I idle. I can press accelerator and bring RPMs up to 1000
> and it runs fine. Took it to local auto parts start, they put scanner
> on it and said it was mixture to lean in bank 1 and 2. They told me to
> run some high octane fuel for a couple of tank. Well not only did I do
> that and it not help it, but I disconnected battery and light went off.
> Car still idled very rough once it gets up to temp.
>
> Does it sound like the O2 sensors just need replaced? How hard is it to
> get to them? I do not mind doing it, as long as no special tools are
> required.
>
> Thanks for any input
>
> Tony
>


  Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2005, 13:01   #4 (permalink)
Puzzled Ed
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: 2001 Ford Taurus Rough Idle

My 94 Grand Marq has a real rough idle, and dies sometimes.

After reading your post, I unplugged the maf during ruff idle, and the
idle got better.

Does that mean the maf is bad? (I had already cleaned the heck out of
the MAF elements a day before, getting rid of my lean codes in the
process). 80k miles on the MAF sensor/car.

  Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2005, 14:01   #5 (permalink)
Puzzled Ed
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: 2001 Ford Taurus Rough Idle

Also, the iac was cleaned earlier as well.

  Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2005, 18:01   #6 (permalink)
johanb
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: 2001 Ford Taurus Rough Idle

Maybe it needs to learn new strategy's


"Puzzled Ed" <faast_ed@netzero.net> wrote in message
news:1130705113.910871.203770@g43g2000cwa.googlegroups.com...
> My 94 Grand Marq has a real rough idle, and dies sometimes.
>
> After reading your post, I unplugged the maf during ruff idle, and the
> idle got better.
>
> Does that mean the maf is bad? (I had already cleaned the heck out of
> the MAF elements a day before, getting rid of my lean codes in the
> process). 80k miles on the MAF sensor/car.
>



  Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2005, 07:01   #7 (permalink)
Tony
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: 2001 Ford Taurus Rough Idle

I just realized this started happening hours after I got my oil
changed. Wonder if they knocked vacuum line loose?


Also what is the IAC?

What best way to clean MAF?

  Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2005, 14:01   #8 (permalink)
Puzzled Ed
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: 2001 Ford Taurus Rough Idle

Tom Adkins posted this link for me on another string. Works real well
for cleaning the MAF.

http://www.lincolnsonline.com/article59.html



IAC = Idle Air Control. Basicly it is a valve that opens when you
need to bypass some air past the Throttle body during idle,.....during
certain conditions. Mine was full of carbon, but wasn't my problem. I
believe something is sending wrong info to my IAC. Reason I think this,
is because unplugging my MAF brings the idle up.

However,.... Cleaning my MAF cure ALL of my lean codes and the car runs
100% better! I will likely change it anyway, in hopes of curing my
idle problem.

  Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2005, 19:01   #9 (permalink)
Skyhawk
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: 2001 Ford Taurus Rough Idle

I unhooked my battery to reset my computer in my 99 Taurus and it took weeks
and over 200 miles to reset everything!!!!!!! BAD MOVE!



  Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2005, 04:01   #10 (permalink)
Backyard Mechanic
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: 2001 Ford Taurus Rough Idle

Uh... I think it wont help... you have more than one problem, still.

The MAF doesnt control the idle speed in itself. You are referring to
engine going to 'high idle' when MAF disconnected, I assume
It is also referred to as "limp-in' mode when it does that.

Maybe the Throttle position sensor.. but that doesnt quite fit, either

Rule out vac leak if normal idle is low.



"Puzzled Ed" <faast_ed@netzero.net> wrote

> Mine was full of carbon, but wasn't my problem. I
> believe something is sending wrong info to my IAC. Reason I think this,
> is because unplugging my MAF brings the idle up.
>
> However,.... Cleaning my MAF cure ALL of my lean codes and the car runs
> 100% better! I will likely change it anyway, in hopes of curing my
> idle problem.
>
>


  Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

  Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Fordforums Community > USENET NewsGroups > alt.autos.ford



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are Off
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.2

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 11:49.



Powered by vBulletin® Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0
Garage Plus vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.