83 Lincon Towncar - Major Problems - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Fordforums Community > USENET NewsGroups > alt.autos.ford
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-21-2005, 20:01   #1 (permalink)
natalie5
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
83 Lincon Towncar - Major Problems

My car has not run right since I changed the termostat. I can't figure out
what happened. There is a gas smell in the oil now and it over loading on
gas and wont run. I can't believe changing the thermostat blew the car up.


  Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 07-21-2005, 20:01   #2 (permalink)
Backyard Mechanic
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: 83 Lincon Towncar - Major Problems

You're right.. it probably didnt.

But I always noted that anytime you fix something under the hood, there is a
ten percent chance somethnng else will immediately go wrong.... even if
you're sure you didnt touch it.
Sounds like engine is flooding, barely running. Raw gas WILL get in oil.

Black smoke out exhause too? FuelPressRegulator leaking?
Maybe Stuck injectors?

And WHY did you change the thermostat in the first place..overheat?




"natalie5" <natskakatj@nospamhotmail.com> wrote in message
news:2d0ee2b615f9608d87263f05c42a174e@localhost.talkaboutautos.com...
> My car has not run right since I changed the termostat. I can't figure out
> what happened. There is a gas smell in the oil now and it over loading on
> gas and wont run. I can't believe changing the thermostat blew the car up.
>
>



  Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2005, 20:01   #3 (permalink)
natalie5
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: 83 Lincon Towncar - Major Problems

It was only running about 195 but with this old of a car I like to keep it
running at about 180

  Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2005, 20:01   #4 (permalink)
Backyard Mechanic
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: 83 Lincon Towncar - Major Problems

Heh!

>>There is a gas smell in the oil now and it over loading on
>> gas and wont run. I can't believe changing the thermostat blew the car

up.

> You're right.. it probably didnt.


Take that back...MAYBE you did cause that.

If the problem seems to be cumulative, meaning it didnt show at first, - AND
it starts well enough when cold- your engine is maybe not getting up to heat
enough, assuming this is the 1st gen EFI system. Combination of engine
coolant temp sensor marginal.
MAYBE
Your ECU never goes into closed loop and always runs rich... the EGO sensor
never looked at because it's always warming up.
Just a wild guess, like I say and would require some other marginal
components, too.

BUT!
There is NO reason to lower the engine temp!

Causes increased oil sludging, and MAYBE what you see there.


"natalie5" <natskakatj@nospamhotmail.com> wrote in message
news:86e341416fed3dad2063655ea6e2849d@localhost.talkaboutautos.com...
> It was only running about 195 but with this old of a car I like to keep it
> running at about 180
>



  Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2005, 20:01   #5 (permalink)
natalie5
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: 83 Lincon Towncar - Major Problems

anyway back to autozone and see if they know what I'm asking for now see
ya'll later

  Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2005, 20:01   #6 (permalink)
natalie5
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: 83 Lincon Towncar - Major Problems

my husband is suggesting that I change the whole car over to a carb but I
can't even think of all the work that is in changing the intake and
throttle body right now since I don't have ant other wheels.

  Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2005, 20:01   #7 (permalink)
Erik
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: 83 Lincon Towncar - Major Problems

In article
<2d0ee2b615f9608d87263f05c42a174e@localhost.talkaboutautos.com>,
"natalie5" <natskakatj@nospamhotmail.com> wrote:

> My car has not run right since I changed the termostat. I can't figure out
> what happened. There is a gas smell in the oil now and it over loading on
> gas and wont run. I can't believe changing the thermostat blew the car up.


Don't think a 180 deg thermostat will let the computer go 'closed loop'.
I'd put back a new 192 (or 195?) thermostat asap... if you lucky, you
won't have to do a catalytic converter as well.

Good Luck!

Erik
  Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2005, 20:01   #8 (permalink)
DustyRhoades@mailcity.com
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: 83 Lincon Towncar - Major Problems

We once changed wiper blades for a lady. When she got home she
called and asked what we did to her car that the RR window would
not go up? She insisted it was our fault since we had the car in
the shop. We fixed the window at not cost. I don't know how
many times we gave away free batteries to customers who
complained that
it went bad right after we worked on their car even though the
work was not related to the battery. Is is all a cost of doing
business in the modern, it's not my fault world, I guess. LOL


mike hunt



Backyard Mechanic wrote:
>
> You're right.. it probably didnt.
>
> But I always noted that anytime you fix something under the hood, there is a
> ten percent chance somethnng else will immediately go wrong.... even if
> you're sure you didnt touch it.
> Sounds like engine is flooding, barely running. Raw gas WILL get in oil.
>
> Black smoke out exhause too? FuelPressRegulator leaking?
> Maybe Stuck injectors?
>
> And WHY did you change the thermostat in the first place..overheat?
>
> "natalie5" <natskakatj@nospamhotmail.com> wrote in message
> news:2d0ee2b615f9608d87263f05c42a174e@localhost.talkaboutautos.com...
> > My car has not run right since I changed the termostat. I can't figure out
> > what happened. There is a gas smell in the oil now and it over loading on
> > gas and wont run. I can't believe changing the thermostat blew the car up.
> >
> >

  Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2005, 20:01   #9 (permalink)
natalie5
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: 83 Lincon Towncar - Major Problems

I planned on changing the thermostat back and changin the car over to a
carb if it can be done easily.

  Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2005, 20:01   #10 (permalink)
C. E. White
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: 83 Lincon Towncar - Major Problems


"natalie5" <natskakatj@nospamhotmail.com> wrote in message
news:86e341416fed3dad2063655ea6e2849d@localhost.talkaboutautos.com...
> It was only running about 195 but with this old of a car I like to keep it
> running at about 180


That is a terrible idea with an efi car. The car never gets up to
temperature, never goes into closed loop mode, and the computer keep
injecting too much gas becasue it thinks the car is cold. Change the
thermostat back to what it is supposed to be. A 180 degree thermostat wasn't
a good idea with later carbed cars either. Why do you think it is a good
thing?

Ed


  Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

  Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Fordforums Community > USENET NewsGroups > alt.autos.ford



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are Off
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.2

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 02:49.



Powered by vBulletin® Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0
Garage Plus vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.