96 T-bird oil leak - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Fordforums Community > USENET NewsGroups > alt.autos.ford
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-26-2005, 11:01   #1 (permalink)
rstettne
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
96 T-bird oil leak

I have a 96 T-bird with a 4.6L V8 that has 114,000 miles on it. My
wife went out ot warm up the car one morning and after she pulled out I
noticed a rather large pool of oil. Of course she is not driving it
now.

The leak looks as if it is coming from the oil sending unit area, I
changed the oil sending unit and it still leaks. The next step would
be to remove the part that holds the oil filter and replace the gasket.
My Haynes book does not cover this area very well and I am not sure
what is on the otherside of this part. Does this connect to the oil
pump on the inside of the engine? Is it safe to remove this, inspect
it for cracks adn replace the gasket? Nothing will fall into the
engine? Thansk for your help.

  Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 11-26-2005, 12:01   #2 (permalink)
Sharon K.Cooke
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: 96 T-bird oil leak

rstettne wrote:
>
> I have a 96 T-bird with a 4.6L V8 that has 114,000 miles on it. My
> wife went out ot warm up the car one morning and after she pulled out I
> noticed a rather large pool of oil. Of course she is not driving it
> now.
>
> The leak looks as if it is coming from the oil sending unit area, I
> changed the oil sending unit and it still leaks. The next step would
> be to remove the part that holds the oil filter and replace the gasket.
> My Haynes book does not cover this area very well and I am not sure
> what is on the otherside of this part. Does this connect to the oil
> pump on the inside of the engine? Is it safe to remove this, inspect
> it for cracks adn replace the gasket? Nothing will fall into the
> engine? Thansk for your help.


See: http://www.lincolnsonline.com/article41.html
  Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2005, 03:01   #3 (permalink)
kojmorbid
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: 96 T-bird oil leak

You Should just be able to drop the oil pan, clean it up and install a new
gasket, that is typically the cause of most oil leaks, its not to hard, if
you don't want to get dirty I doubt it would cost to much to take it in and
have a mechanic change it for you

  Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2005, 07:01   #4 (permalink)
lugnut
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: 96 T-bird oil leak

On 26 Nov 2005 10:05:49 -0800, "rstettne"
<richard@rstettne.com> wrote:

>I have a 96 T-bird with a 4.6L V8 that has 114,000 miles on it. My
>wife went out ot warm up the car one morning and after she pulled out I
>noticed a rather large pool of oil. Of course she is not driving it
>now.
>
>The leak looks as if it is coming from the oil sending unit area, I
>changed the oil sending unit and it still leaks. The next step would
>be to remove the part that holds the oil filter and replace the gasket.
> My Haynes book does not cover this area very well and I am not sure
>what is on the otherside of this part. Does this connect to the oil
>pump on the inside of the engine? Is it safe to remove this, inspect
>it for cracks adn replace the gasket? Nothing will fall into the
>engine? Thansk for your help.



My bet is on the oil filter adapter to block gasket since I
have seen several including my own 4.6L fail. Beware, the
gasket at the dealer is close on $20US but, it is about the
ouly one worth installing unless you just like doing the
job.

Lugnut
  Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2005, 08:01   #5 (permalink)
Backyard Mechanic
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: 96 T-bird oil leak

"kojmorbid" <kojmorbid@yahoo.com> wrote:

> You Should just be able to drop the oil pan, clean it up and install a
> new gasket, that is typically the cause of most oil leaks, its not to
> hard, if you don't want to get dirty I doubt it would cost to much to
> take it in and have a mechanic change it for you
>


Hmmm when is the last time you did that?

"just drop the oil pan...."

--
Yeh, I'm a Krusty old Geezer, putting up with my 'smartass' is the price
you pay..DEAL with it!
  Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2005, 08:01   #6 (permalink)
ankhe105
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: 96 T-bird oil leak

I once had a 79 Ford truck that started leaking like that and it was the
oil sending unit. I know you said it was changed, but maybe didn't seal
good enough? Good luck.

  Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2005, 09:01   #7 (permalink)
Sharon K.Cooke
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: 96 T-bird oil leak

Backyard Mechanic wrote:
>
> "kojmorbid" <kojmorbid@yahoo.com> wrote:
>
> > You Should just be able to drop the oil pan, clean it up and install a
> > new gasket, that is typically the cause of most oil leaks, its not to
> > hard, if you don't want to get dirty I doubt it would cost to much to
> > take it in and have a mechanic change it for you
> >

>
> Hmmm when is the last time you did that?
>
> "just drop the oil pan...."
>
> --
> Yeh, I'm a Krusty old Geezer, putting up with my 'smartass' is the price
> you pay..DEAL with it!


On the 4.6L engine oil leak, it's almost always this:
http://www.lincolnsonline.com/article41.html
  Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2005, 17:01   #8 (permalink)
Puddin' Man
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: 96 T-bird oil leak

Well, I *hope* it's the oil filter adapter gasket ...

It couldn't -possibly- be a blown rear-main seal. There's
no 4.6 L's on the face the planet that've ever blown a
rear-main seal. :-)

If possible, run it until it's fully warmed up, put it
on a lift ASAP, take a light and look for significant seepage.

Good Luck,
Puddin'

On 26 Nov 2005 10:05:49 -0800, "rstettne" <richard@rstettne.com>
wrote:

>I have a 96 T-bird with a 4.6L V8 that has 114,000 miles on it. My
>wife went out ot warm up the car one morning and after she pulled out I
>noticed a rather large pool of oil. Of course she is not driving it
>now.
>
>The leak looks as if it is coming from the oil sending unit area, I
>changed the oil sending unit and it still leaks. The next step would
>be to remove the part that holds the oil filter and replace the gasket.
> My Haynes book does not cover this area very well and I am not sure
>what is on the otherside of this part. Does this connect to the oil
>pump on the inside of the engine? Is it safe to remove this, inspect
>it for cracks adn replace the gasket? Nothing will fall into the
>engine? Thansk for your help.

--
******************************************************
*** Puddin' Man PuddingDotMan at GmailDotCom ***
******************************************************;
  Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2005, 02:01   #9 (permalink)
Backyard Mechanic
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: 96 T-bird oil leak

"Sharon K.Cooke" <scooke@cox.net> wrote:

> Backyard Mechanic wrote:
>>
>> "kojmorbid" <kojmorbid@yahoo.com> wrote:
>>
>> > You Should just be able to drop the oil pan, clean it up and install

a
>> > new gasket, that is typically the cause of most oil leaks, its not

to
>> > hard, if you don't want to get dirty I doubt it would cost to much

to
>> > take it in and have a mechanic change it for you
>> >

>>
>> Hmmm when is the last time you did that?
>>
>> "just drop the oil pan...."
>>


>
> On the 4.6L engine oil leak, it's almost always this:
> http://www.lincolnsonline.com/article41.html


I GOT it, Cooke-ie! But that looks complicated, mebbe he ought'a JUST
drop the oil pan and check it FIRST?

--
Yeh, I'm a Krusty old Geezer, putting up with my 'smartass' is the price
you pay..DEAL with it!
  Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2005, 07:01   #10 (permalink)
Sharon K.Cooke
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: 96 T-bird oil leak

Backyard Mechanic wrote:
>
> "Sharon K.Cooke" <scooke@cox.net> wrote:
>
> > Backyard Mechanic wrote:
> >>
> >> "kojmorbid" <kojmorbid@yahoo.com> wrote:
> >>
> >> > You Should just be able to drop the oil pan, clean it up and install

> a
> >> > new gasket, that is typically the cause of most oil leaks, its not

> to
> >> > hard, if you don't want to get dirty I doubt it would cost to much

> to
> >> > take it in and have a mechanic change it for you
> >> >
> >>
> >> Hmmm when is the last time you did that?
> >>
> >> "just drop the oil pan...."
> >>

>
> >
> > On the 4.6L engine oil leak, it's almost always this:
> > http://www.lincolnsonline.com/article41.html

>
> I GOT it, Cooke-ie! But that looks complicated, mebbe he ought'a JUST
> drop the oil pan and check it FIRST?
>
> --
> Yeh, I'm a Krusty old Geezer, putting up with my 'smartass' is the price
> you pay..DEAL with it!


Why would you drop the pan to check for a leak that's FORWARD of the pan?
Anyway, on these Ford 4.6L engines, the leak in the area described is from the
adapter gasket maybe 95% of the time; it's just a bad design.
  Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

  Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Fordforums Community > USENET NewsGroups > alt.autos.ford



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are Off
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.2

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 17:27.



Powered by vBulletin® Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0
Garage Plus vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.