Aerostar power steering pumps - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Fordforums Community > USENET NewsGroups > alt.autos.ford
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-04-2005, 19:01   #1 (permalink)
Fred
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Aerostar power steering pumps

In the years I drove my 93 (2000-2005), the PS pump went out
twice. And even when the new ones were installed, they
still whined. Heck fire, the wife always knew when I was
coming home - she could hear it a half block away.

Did they ever get the PS problem fixed in the later models?
I'm looking at a 97, but if they still used the same old PS
pump, that's reason enough not to buy it.

Fred


  Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 11-04-2005, 20:01   #2 (permalink)
Backyard Mechanic
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Aerostar power steering pumps

"Fred" <testing@testing1212mouse.com> wrote in news:SvUaf.2707$Ny6.317
@trnddc06:

> In the years I drove my 93 (2000-2005), the PS pump went out
> twice. And even when the new ones were installed, they
> still whined. Heck fire, the wife always knew when I was
> coming home - she could hear it a half block away.
>
> Did they ever get the PS problem fixed in the later models?
> I'm looking at a 97, but if they still used the same old PS
> pump, that's reason enough not to buy it.
>
> Fred
>
>


Some whine, some dont... the whine is usually worn out or cheap fluid.

OR it COULD be air incursion through a seep leak in the return line

And those pumps and racks arent specific to the aerostar..

BTW, what's your point?
  Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2005, 20:01   #3 (permalink)
nospam.clare.nce@sny.der.on.ca
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Aerostar power steering pumps

On Sat, 05 Nov 2005 02:09:54 GMT, "Fred"
<testing@testing1212mouse.com> wrote:

>In the years I drove my 93 (2000-2005), the PS pump went out
>twice. And even when the new ones were installed, they
>still whined. Heck fire, the wife always knew when I was
>coming home - she could hear it a half block away.
>
>Did they ever get the PS problem fixed in the later models?
>I'm looking at a 97, but if they still used the same old PS
>pump, that's reason enough not to buy it.
>
>Fred
>

You must be doing something wrong. I put over 240,000 on my 90 with no
problem other than one line that rusted through. I sold my '90 with
a4,000 on it to a friend who took it to almost 300,000 - never touched
the power steering. My one brother has had 2 (91 and 97) and never a
PS problem. Other brother also has had 2, 1991 and 1997 - both 4wd -
and no power steering problems. His 91 went over 300,000. Both still
have their '97s. There is nothing made today to take their place, so
they are hanging on to them.
  Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2005, 19:01   #4 (permalink)
Fred
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Aerostar power steering pumps

Thanks. Sounds like you had better luck than me. Mine
didn't leak either -- never had to add fluid, and always
used real live power steering fluid, not AT fluid. It's
not just my mine that whines. I have heard several
Aerostars whining away. Also the mechanics at the 3 garages
that I deal with all say it's a common problem with
Aerostars.

Mine was a 90, and I was hoping that the later models had
fixed the problem. Replaced it 2 or 3 times in the last 4
years.

<nospam.clare.nce@sny.der.on.ca> wrote in message
news:3baom193lnor1tsuisabo76lv1oavuf6rb@4ax.com...
> On Sat, 05 Nov 2005 02:09:54 GMT, "Fred"
> <testing@testing1212mouse.com> wrote:
>
> >In the years I drove my 93 (2000-2005), the PS pump went

out
> >twice. And even when the new ones were installed, they
> >still whined. Heck fire, the wife always knew when I was
> >coming home - she could hear it a half block away.
> >
> >Did they ever get the PS problem fixed in the later

models?
> >I'm looking at a 97, but if they still used the same old

PS
> >pump, that's reason enough not to buy it.
> >
> >Fred
> >

> You must be doing something wrong. I put over 240,000 on

my 90 with no
> problem other than one line that rusted through. I sold my

'90 with
> a4,000 on it to a friend who took it to almost 300,000 -

never touched
> the power steering. My one brother has had 2 (91 and 97)

and never a
> PS problem. Other brother also has had 2, 1991 and 1997 -

both 4wd -
> and no power steering problems. His 91 went over 300,000.

Both still
> have their '97s. There is nothing made today to take their

place, so
> they are hanging on to them.



  Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2005, 19:01   #5 (permalink)
Fred
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Aerostar power steering pumps

"Backyard Mechanic" <pettyfog@yaywho.com> wrote in message
news:Xns9704E6717412Dpettyfogery@207.115.63.158...
> "Fred" <testing@testing1212mouse.com> wrote in

news:SvUaf.2707$Ny6.317
> @trnddc06:
>
> > In the years I drove my 93 (2000-2005), the PS pump went

out
> > twice. And even when the new ones were installed, they
> > still whined. Heck fire, the wife always knew when I

was
> > coming home - she could hear it a half block away.
> >
> > Did they ever get the PS problem fixed in the later

models?
> > I'm looking at a 97, but if they still used the same old

PS
> > pump, that's reason enough not to buy it.
> >
> > Fred
> >
> >

>
> Some whine, some dont... the whine is usually worn out or

cheap fluid.
>
> OR it COULD be air incursion through a seep leak in the

return line
>
> And those pumps and racks arent specific to the aerostar..
>
> BTW, what's your point?


I'm looking at a 97, but I don't need to wake all the
neighbors (and the wife) when I'm slipping home at 1am.


  Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2005, 15:01   #6 (permalink)
Fred
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Aerostar power steering pumps

Anyone know what is a good brand of PS pump to use - I mean besides from the
dealer.

"Fred" <testing@testing1212mouse.com> wrote in message
news:D%ybf.3654$Bx.1977@trnddc01...
> Thanks. Sounds like you had better luck than me. Mine
> didn't leak either -- never had to add fluid, and always
> used real live power steering fluid, not AT fluid. It's
> not just my mine that whines. I have heard several
> Aerostars whining away. Also the mechanics at the 3 garages
> that I deal with all say it's a common problem with
> Aerostars.
>
> Mine was a 90, and I was hoping that the later models had
> fixed the problem. Replaced it 2 or 3 times in the last 4
> years.
>
> <nospam.clare.nce@sny.der.on.ca> wrote in message
> news:3baom193lnor1tsuisabo76lv1oavuf6rb@4ax.com...
> > On Sat, 05 Nov 2005 02:09:54 GMT, "Fred"
> > <testing@testing1212mouse.com> wrote:
> >
> > >In the years I drove my 93 (2000-2005), the PS pump went

> out
> > >twice. And even when the new ones were installed, they
> > >still whined. Heck fire, the wife always knew when I was
> > >coming home - she could hear it a half block away.
> > >
> > >Did they ever get the PS problem fixed in the later

> models?
> > >I'm looking at a 97, but if they still used the same old

> PS
> > >pump, that's reason enough not to buy it.
> > >
> > >Fred
> > >

> > You must be doing something wrong. I put over 240,000 on

> my 90 with no
> > problem other than one line that rusted through. I sold my

> '90 with
> > a4,000 on it to a friend who took it to almost 300,000 -

> never touched
> > the power steering. My one brother has had 2 (91 and 97)

> and never a
> > PS problem. Other brother also has had 2, 1991 and 1997 -

> both 4wd -
> > and no power steering problems. His 91 went over 300,000.

> Both still
> > have their '97s. There is nothing made today to take their

> place, so
> > they are hanging on to them.

>
>



  Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

  Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Fordforums Community > USENET NewsGroups > alt.autos.ford



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are Off
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.2

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 23:21.



Powered by vBulletin® Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0
Garage Plus vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.