Am I being way overcharged because I'm a young woman? - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Fordforums Community > USENET NewsGroups > alt.autos.ford
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-17-2005, 17:01   #1 (permalink)
Anadarial
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Am I being way overcharged because I'm a young woman?

Hi :) I hope you all can help me, I'm a 23 year old mother of three, and I
took my car to get aligned and they told me they couldn't due to these
factors
1) Tire Rod Loose
2)Axle Bad
3) Wheel Bearings (this is what they wrote for me)
4) Struts Loose.

They quoted me 564.00 to repair it. To top it off they wouldn't align my
car because of it and still charged me. Am i being way overcharged here?
I just wanted to get my car aligned! Im' a young blonde female and it
seems like people assume I am stupid when I'm highly intelligent, just
know little about cars. I sure wont pay anything without doing my
homework. please email me and help me to know what the normal pricing for
this should be.
llaird3@tampabay.rr.com.
thank you so much for your help and consideration!

Brooke

  Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 07-17-2005, 17:01   #2 (permalink)
Anadarial
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Am I being way overcharged because I'm a young woman?

By the way, its a 1995 Ford Windstar....

  Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2005, 17:01   #3 (permalink)
Scott
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Am I being way overcharged because I'm a young woman?


"Anadarial" <llaird3@tampabay.rr.com> wrote in message
news:4c5227201c1b3b46ab3ab8e29826b6de@localhost.talkaboutautos.com...
> Hi :) I hope you all can help me, I'm a 23 year old mother of three, and
> I
> took my car to get aligned and they told me they couldn't due to these
> factors
> 1) Tire Rod Loose
> 2)Axle Bad
> 3) Wheel Bearings (this is what they wrote for me)
> 4) Struts Loose.
>
> They quoted me 564.00 to repair it. To top it off they wouldn't align my
> car because of it and still charged me. Am i being way overcharged here?
> I just wanted to get my car aligned! Im' a young blonde female and it
> seems like people assume I am stupid when I'm highly intelligent, just
> know little about cars. I sure wont pay anything without doing my
> homework. please email me and help me to know what the normal pricing for
> this should be.
> llaird3@tampabay.rr.com.
> thank you so much for your help and consideration!
>
> Brooke


What you need to do to get help here is describe the symptoms that made
you take it in for service, and tell us how many miles on it.

Tie rods being replaced is fairly typical, axles go bad in many miles,
so do wheel bearings, the struts can be worn but usually aren't described
as "loose."

If it has over 100,000 miles two of the four could easily be shot.
They can't align your front wheels with a worn tie rod.

Does it make any sounds when you turn, like a clicking noise
that sounds like it comes from the front?
If so the shot axle diagnosis is probably right.

In my humble opinion, blond people are among the smartest.



  Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2005, 17:01   #4 (permalink)
Jim Warman
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Am I being way overcharged because I'm a young woman?

I will agree with Scott.... but I do need to add that the time spent
examining the car and preparing the estimate needs to be charged. This is
part of the repair process.... the shop mortgage still needs to be paid,
equipment paid for and tech time paid.

Doctors charge you even though you remain sick... lawyers charge you even
though they lost.... accountants charge you even when they tell you that
you're broke...

For your part, ask questions.... a good shop will show you and explain
things to you in plain English rather than fast paced double talk. Aside
from the "loose struts" comment (perhaps they meant that the struts have
lost their damping ability?), everything else would be expected on an older
vehicle expecially of the miles are getting high.


"Scott" <homealone.com> wrote in message
news:11dlm0vdlgujld2@corp.supernews.com...
>
> "Anadarial" <llaird3@tampabay.rr.com> wrote in message
> news:4c5227201c1b3b46ab3ab8e29826b6de@localhost.talkaboutautos.com...
> > Hi :) I hope you all can help me, I'm a 23 year old mother of three,

and
> > I
> > took my car to get aligned and they told me they couldn't due to these
> > factors
> > 1) Tire Rod Loose
> > 2)Axle Bad
> > 3) Wheel Bearings (this is what they wrote for me)
> > 4) Struts Loose.
> >
> > They quoted me 564.00 to repair it. To top it off they wouldn't align

my
> > car because of it and still charged me. Am i being way overcharged

here?
> > I just wanted to get my car aligned! Im' a young blonde female and it
> > seems like people assume I am stupid when I'm highly intelligent, just
> > know little about cars. I sure wont pay anything without doing my
> > homework. please email me and help me to know what the normal pricing

for
> > this should be.
> > llaird3@tampabay.rr.com.
> > thank you so much for your help and consideration!
> >
> > Brooke

>
> What you need to do to get help here is describe the symptoms that made
> you take it in for service, and tell us how many miles on it.
>
> Tie rods being replaced is fairly typical, axles go bad in many miles,
> so do wheel bearings, the struts can be worn but usually aren't described
> as "loose."
>
> If it has over 100,000 miles two of the four could easily be shot.
> They can't align your front wheels with a worn tie rod.
>
> Does it make any sounds when you turn, like a clicking noise
> that sounds like it comes from the front?
> If so the shot axle diagnosis is probably right.
>
> In my humble opinion, blond people are among the smartest.
>
>
>



  Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2005, 19:01   #5 (permalink)
Anadarial
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Am I being way overcharged because I'm a young woman?

With the car, it has worn a used tire ( i bought a used tire from a store)
in two weeks, it shakes SEVERELY when we get it over 45, and it pops
occasionally, usually when we're turning right i believe. I hope this
helps. I understand time is money and them charging me is okay, but i
also had one more question, now that i have the quote, would it be
advisable for me to ask the repairman to give me an itemized bill, such
as, the cost and brand of parts they are using to replace the bad ones,
and the labor charges? Thank you so much for your help :)
if anyone wants to chat with me, my AOL name is LadyKucholick and no its
not dirty, its my last name, go figure, and my yahoo name is
Brookethebabyfactory....yes i have kids. I have profiles on both.
Nothing in particular, i just enjoy chatting on the net, especially with
people who help me!!
Thanks guys! (or girls)

  Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2005, 19:01   #6 (permalink)
Anadarial
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Am I being way overcharged because I'm a young woman?

OH, and my car has 103K miles on it, mostly highway miles as i have moved
all over the country many times, if i see another moving box, i'll puke!
LOL :)

  Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2005, 19:01   #7 (permalink)
Sarge
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Am I being way overcharged because I'm a young woman?

Anadarial wrote: "With the car, it has worn a used tire ( i bought a used
tire from a store) in two weeks, it shakes SEVERELY when we get it over 45,
and it pops occasionally, usually when we're turning right i believe. I
hope this
helps. I understand time is money and them charging me is okay, but i also
had one more question, now that i have the quote, would it be advisable for
me to ask the repairman to give me an itemized bill, such as, the cost and
brand of parts they are using to replace the bad ones, and the labor
charges? Thank you so much for your help :) if anyone wants to chat with
me, my AOL name is LadyKucholick and no its not dirty, its my last name, go
figure, and my yahoo name is Brookethebabyfactory....yes i have kids. I
have profiles on both. Nothing in particular, i just enjoy chatting on the
net, especially with people who help me!! '

From what you said in an early post and the given mileage, it is a good
possibility the parts are worn. I not sure what they mean by bad axle. The
rest I understand. Ask them to see the book for labor charges. The
replacement of each part will have an estimated labor charge.

For example struts may actually take 15 minutes per side to change but the
book may call for a half hour of labor. They will charge you a half hour of
labor.

Not having the car repaired will cost you more in the long run and may even
leave you on the side the road with your kids. A tie rod failure could lead
to an accident.

Sarge


  Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2005, 04:01   #8 (permalink)
Rob
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Am I being way overcharged because I'm a young woman?

Anadarial wrote:
> OH, and my car has 103K miles on it, mostly highway miles as i have moved
> all over the country many times, if i see another moving box, i'll puke!
> LOL :)
>

all that was said about your van may be true... yes you will be charged
for no works as they did do an estimate which does take time away from
other repair jobs making money so they have to charge you some.... ask
if you get it repaired there if they will credit your the time charged
to you for the estimate to the work being done?( shrug never know )
yes tie rod could be gone if you wore out a tire in very low miles i
would suspect that... 103 k miles ... strut would be prolly leaking as
well .... if you do it all (ie new tie rod struts etc ) the the work
should last for quite some time .... as for the axle ... is there a
split cv boot? axle should last longer than that unless the boot is
split. you can se that yourself just look at the axle behind the wheel
and see if the rubber bellows boot is ton open and usually grease sprays
out everywhere.
600 bux is not bad either by the way
as long as that includes the alignment and labour
  Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2005, 04:01   #9 (permalink)
Spike
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Am I being way overcharged because I'm a young woman?

I know that feeling quite well.... from the time I was born.

If you have been in an area long enough to meet people you feel you
can trust, it also helps to get referrals to shops in the area. While
there are many quality shops (hat off to Jim) there are also poor
quality (aka rip off shops). And, there is NOTHING wrong with getting
a second, or even third opinion, and estimates. If a doctor told you
he was going to have to remove half your insides, you'd hopefully get
a second opinion.

Preventive maintenance is the way to go. Head off trouble by getting
the job done right before it reaches the point where you are stranded
somewhere in the middle of winter or summer, with the kids. The peace
of mind you'll have is priceless compared to the cost of the repairs
and alignment after.

The front end of my car has been totally rebuilt (except for the front
coil springs), and now I need a shop to do an alignment. But, even
before that, I have found that I should have replaced the springs when
the rebuild was being done. But they looked fine. Well, turns out they
are not. So now it's going to cost more to add the new springs and
then get the alignment than if I had just used a kit that included
them in the first place.

Same applies with your situation. Get it done and done right the first
time.

Happy motoring



On Sun, 17 Jul 2005 20:16:01 -0400, "Anadarial"
<llaird3@tampabay.rr.com> wrote:

>OH, and my car has 103K miles on it, mostly highway miles as i have moved
>all over the country many times, if i see another moving box, i'll puke!
>LOL :)


Spike
1965 Ford Mustang fastback 2+2 A Code 289 C4 Trac-Lok
Vintage Burgundy w/Black Standard Interior; Vintage 40
16" rims w/BF Goodrich Comp T/A gForce Radial
225/50ZR16 KDWS skins; surround sound audio-video.

"When the time comes to lay down my life for my country,
I do not cower from this responsibility. I welcome it."
-JFK Inaugural Address
  Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2005, 04:01   #10 (permalink)
Anadarial
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Am I being way overcharged because I'm a young woman?

I believe they said the axle was bent. As if I had been in a wreck, which
i have not. I dunno, well, I know this place is the cheapest in town to
get tires, and i'm talking 20 bucks cheaper than anywhere near my area, so
hopefully, its an all around good shop.
Thanks for your time.

Brooke

  Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

  Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Fordforums Community > USENET NewsGroups > alt.autos.ford


« Lincolns | thank u »

Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are Off
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.2

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 04:00.



Powered by vBulletin® Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0
Garage Plus vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.