Busted 05 Escape Windsheild - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Fordforums Community > USENET NewsGroups > alt.autos.ford
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-14-2005, 00:02   #1 (permalink)
finiteguy
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Busted 05 Escape Windsheild

My 2005 Escape windshield took a rock on the highway. The insurance
company says that the glass company needs to get an authoriation to
use Factory Glass (Carlite). The glass companys says that this glass
is no better than pinkerton glass. Anyone have experience? If the car
was older I suppose I wouldn't care, but it is brand new and I'd
prefer factory stuff as opposed to generic.
  Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 06-14-2005, 00:02   #2 (permalink)
Jeff
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Busted 05 Escape Windsheild


"finiteguy" <finite.guy******@verizon.net> wrote in message
news:cvru91h9kv7p2hve4vov0nf9tiij1kjtok@4ax.com...
> My 2005 Escape windshield took a rock on the highway. The insurance
> company says that the glass company needs to get an authoriation to
> use Factory Glass (Carlite). The glass companys says that this glass
> is no better than pinkerton glass. Anyone have experience? If the car
> was older I suppose I wouldn't care, but it is brand new and I'd
> prefer factory stuff as opposed to generic.


Can you get this at the dealer? What do you care if it costs more.

Or can you get an authorization from a different glass company?

Jeff


  Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2005, 00:02   #3 (permalink)
lugnut
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Busted 05 Escape Windsheild

On Thu, 02 Jun 2005 20:53:10 GMT, finiteguy
<finite.guy******@verizon.net> wrote:

>My 2005 Escape windshield took a rock on the highway. The insurance
>company says that the glass company needs to get an authoriation to
>use Factory Glass (Carlite). The glass companys says that this glass
>is no better than pinkerton glass. Anyone have experience? If the car
>was older I suppose I wouldn't care, but it is brand new and I'd
>prefer factory stuff as opposed to generic.



The OEM glass is more expensive than the aftermarket in
almost every case. The insurance company obligation is to
install an equivalant glass - not necessarily the same. If
the aftermarket glass meets the same standards, the
insurance company considers it equivalant. The glass
company needs the insurance to authorize the additional
expense of the OEM glass which they are not likely to do or,
you may be able to work out a deal with the glass company
where you pay the difference. You may find that difference
to be quite large on your end since the OEM glass is outside
the contract price to the insurance company. It works a bit
like your medical insurance - they pays what they pays - the
rest is up to you if you can cut a deal.
  Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2005, 00:03   #4 (permalink)
finiteguy
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Busted 05 Escape Windsheild

Amica insurance (GREAT COMPANY) told me to tell the glass company to
call them to get aithorization for OEM glass. The glass company did
that but they claim that the aftermarketglass is made by the same
company . Not sure I believe that.

In the end, I just want the windshield to be as good as the original
and no leaks.

I also want a good job. I have had two windshields replaced in two
other cars and they were hack jobs.
One glass repair firm left broken glass in the front seat. In another
instance the tech broke the plastic window trim and gouged the hood
because he was in a big hurry. His company of course repaired the
damage but it was a hassle.

The guys that are fixing the Escape are the ones that the dealer uses
so I figure I'm better off.

I still would like OEM glass and it looks like I'm getting it.

My real question is does it matter? Are there different grades of
glass.
Some after market parts are real junk but I'm not sure about glass.



On Thu, 02 Jun 2005 20:24:39 -0400, lugnut <lugnut@bellsouth.net>
wrote:

>On Thu, 02 Jun 2005 20:53:10 GMT, finiteguy
><finite.guy******@verizon.net> wrote:
>
>>My 2005 Escape windshield took a rock on the highway. The insurance
>>company says that the glass company needs to get an authoriation to
>>use Factory Glass (Carlite). The glass companys says that this glass
>>is no better than pinkerton glass. Anyone have experience? If the car
>>was older I suppose I wouldn't care, but it is brand new and I'd
>>prefer factory stuff as opposed to generic.

>
>
>The OEM glass is more expensive than the aftermarket in
>almost every case. The insurance company obligation is to
>install an equivalant glass - not necessarily the same. If
>the aftermarket glass meets the same standards, the
>insurance company considers it equivalant. The glass
>company needs the insurance to authorize the additional
>expense of the OEM glass which they are not likely to do or,
>you may be able to work out a deal with the glass company
>where you pay the difference. You may find that difference
>to be quite large on your end since the OEM glass is outside
>the contract price to the insurance company. It works a bit
>like your medical insurance - they pays what they pays - the
>rest is up to you if you can cut a deal.


  Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2005, 00:03   #5 (permalink)
lugnut
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Busted 05 Escape Windsheild

On Fri, 03 Jun 2005 02:03:26 GMT, finiteguy
<finiteguy*****@verizon.net> wrote:

>Amica insurance (GREAT COMPANY) told me to tell the glass company to
>call them to get aithorization for OEM glass. The glass company did
>that but they claim that the aftermarketglass is made by the same
>company . Not sure I believe that.
>
>In the end, I just want the windshield to be as good as the original
>and no leaks.
>
>I also want a good job. I have had two windshields replaced in two
>other cars and they were hack jobs.
>One glass repair firm left broken glass in the front seat. In another
>instance the tech broke the plastic window trim and gouged the hood
>because he was in a big hurry. His company of course repaired the
>damage but it was a hassle.
>
>The guys that are fixing the Escape are the ones that the dealer uses
>so I figure I'm better off.
>
>I still would like OEM glass and it looks like I'm getting it.
>
>My real question is does it matter? Are there different grades of
>glass.
>Some after market parts are real junk but I'm not sure about glass.
>


Technically, it has to meet DOT standards. If installed by
the manufacturer, it may be required to meet additional
standards. The only way to be sure it is the same, you need
the OEM glass. I just had the w/s replaced in my F150
because of many miles of wear and tear. I went with an
equivalant glass that appears to have better features but,
it appears to me that the glass is a bit clouded especially
whe facing into a bright light like the sun. It is also
considered to be an equivalant glass for insurance
replacement. You may want to personally examine it for
clarity, etc. before it is installed. I do not know about
the escape but the tech who installed mine actually cut the
seal before attempting to remove the glass. It still
cracked but did not shatter. No glass schards have been
found inside. Sealants are also much better and are easy to
use simply by following the instructions. One thing you
should be aware of is the possibility of causing a leak by
closing all the windows and closing a door for 3-4 days
after the glass is set. Slaming a door with all the windows
closed right after can pop it right out because it just sits
on the sealer.

>
>
>On Thu, 02 Jun 2005 20:24:39 -0400, lugnut <lugnut@bellsouth.net>
>wrote:
>
>>On Thu, 02 Jun 2005 20:53:10 GMT, finiteguy
>><finite.guy******@verizon.net> wrote:
>>
>>>My 2005 Escape windshield took a rock on the highway. The insurance
>>>company says that the glass company needs to get an authoriation to
>>>use Factory Glass (Carlite). The glass companys says that this glass
>>>is no better than pinkerton glass. Anyone have experience? If the car
>>>was older I suppose I wouldn't care, but it is brand new and I'd
>>>prefer factory stuff as opposed to generic.

>>
>>
>>The OEM glass is more expensive than the aftermarket in
>>almost every case. The insurance company obligation is to
>>install an equivalant glass - not necessarily the same. If
>>the aftermarket glass meets the same standards, the
>>insurance company considers it equivalant. The glass
>>company needs the insurance to authorize the additional
>>expense of the OEM glass which they are not likely to do or,
>>you may be able to work out a deal with the glass company
>>where you pay the difference. You may find that difference
>>to be quite large on your end since the OEM glass is outside
>>the contract price to the insurance company. It works a bit
>>like your medical insurance - they pays what they pays - the
>>rest is up to you if you can cut a deal.


  Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2005, 00:03   #6 (permalink)
Jeff
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Busted 05 Escape Windsheild


"finiteguy" <finiteguy*****@verizon.net> wrote in message
news:cibv91llauhia9obq4n5ji2d11a2lg3f4l@4ax.com...
> Amica insurance (GREAT COMPANY) told me to tell the glass company to
> call them to get aithorization for OEM glass. The glass company did
> that but they claim that the aftermarketglass is made by the same
> company . Not sure I believe that.


Even if it is made by the same company, it may not be made to the same
standards. The muffler companies make mufflers and exhaust pipes for the
aftermarket on totally seperate lines.

> In the end, I just want the windshield to be as good as the original
> and no leaks.


It is also very important that it gets installed correctly. The glass is a
structural element that keeps the roof from falling in a rollover crash and
adds to the integrity in a front crash.

(...)

Jeff


  Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

  Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Fordforums Community > USENET NewsGroups > alt.autos.ford



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are Off
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.2

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 09:32.



Powered by vBulletin® Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0
Garage Plus vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.