C-4 Transmission shifting problem - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-14-05, 01:08 AM
LewBish
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
C-4 Transmission shifting problem

Auto Folks, Im new here. I have a 1968 Mustang with a three speed
auto, I think its a C-4 Tranny, because it has 302 V-8. I want to
get it running okay for better evaluation before I pull the
Transmission if possible. It wont shift into High gear. What are
the things to look for if it wont shift on up into high gear?
thanks, Lewis

--
Posted using the http://www.autoforumz.com interface, at author's request
Articles individually checked for conformance to usenet standards
Topic URL: http://www.autoforumz.com/Ford-Mecur...ict124206.html
Visit Topic URL to contact author (reg. req'd). Report abuse: http://www.autoforumz.com/eform.php?p=604791
 
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-14-05, 01:08 AM
lugnut
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: C-4 Transmission shifting problem

On 12 Jun 2005 14:36:47 -0400, LewBish
<UseLinkToEmail@AutoForumz.com> wrote:

>Auto Folks, I’m new here. I have a 1968 Mustang with a three speed
>auto, I think it’s a C-4 Tranny, because it has 302 V-8. I want to
>get it running okay for better evaluation before I pull the
>Transmission if possible. It won’t shift into High gear. What are
>the things to look for if it won’t shift on up into high gear?
>thanks, Lewis



Stuck road speed governor? Should be able to remove it by
removing tail shaft housing IIRC. Clean it up and dip it in
trasn fluid.

Lugnut
 
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-14-05, 01:08 AM
tom
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: C-4 Transmission shifting problem

check the passing gear linkage. if it is stuck in pass position, it will not
shift into third, or will shift when pedal is let off, but downshift again
as soon as gas is hit
"LewBish" <UseLinkToEmail@AutoForumz.com> wrote in message
news:1_604791_53fccfa74090641984a56c882133e715@autoforumz.com...
> Auto Folks, I'm new here. I have a 1968 Mustang with a three speed
> auto, I think it's a C-4 Tranny, because it has 302 V-8. I want to
> get it running okay for better evaluation before I pull the
> Transmission if possible. It won't shift into High gear. What are
> the things to look for if it won't shift on up into high gear?
> thanks, Lewis
>
> --
> Posted using the http://www.autoforumz.com interface, at author's request
> Articles individually checked for conformance to usenet standards
> Topic URL:

http://www.autoforumz.com/Ford-Mecur...oblem-ftopict1
24206.html
> Visit Topic URL to contact author (reg. req'd). Report abuse:

http://www.autoforumz.com/eform.php?p=604791


 
post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-14-05, 01:09 AM
Kevin Bottorff
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: C-4 Transmission shifting problem

LewBish <UseLinkToEmail@AutoForumz.com> wrote in news:1_604791_
53fccfa74090641984a56c882133e715@autoforumz.com:

> Auto Folks, Im new here. I have a 1968 Mustang with a three speed
> auto, I think its a C-4 Tranny, because it has 302 V-8. I want to
> get it running okay for better evaluation before I pull the
> Transmission if possible. It wont shift into High gear. What are
> the things to look for if it wont shift on up into high gear?
> thanks, Lewis
>


lets start with the most likley, which is the vacuume modulator. pull the
line off at the trany and if any fluid is in it it needs to be replaced.
KB

--
ThunderSnake #9 Warn once, shoot twice
460 in the pkup, 460 on the stand for another pkup
and one in the shed for a fun project to yet be decided on
 
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-14-05, 01:09 AM
Louis M. Brown
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: C-4 Transmission shifting problem

On 12 Jun 2005 14:36:47 -0400, LewBish <UseLinkToEmail@AutoForumz.com>
wrote:

>Auto Folks, Im new here. I have a 1968 Mustang with a three speed
>auto, I think its a C-4 Tranny, because it has 302 V-8. I want to
>get it running okay for better evaluation before I pull the
>Transmission if possible. It wont shift into High gear. What are
>the things to look for if it wont shift on up into high gear?
>thanks, Lewis


Won't go into 3rd, eh? Didja make sure the shift linkage is properly
adjusted?

-LMB

 
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-14-05, 01:09 AM
LewBish
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Re: C-4 Transmission shifting problem

"Kevin Bottorff" wrote:
> LewBish <UseLinkToEmail@AutoForumz.com> wrote in
> news:1_604791_
> 53fccfa74090641984a56c882133e715@autoforumz.com:
>
> > Auto Folks, Im new here. I have a 1968 Mustang with a

> three speed
> > auto, I think its a C-4 Tranny, because it has 302 V-8. I

> want to
> > get it running okay for better evaluation before I pull the
> > Transmission if possible. It wont shift into High gear.

> What are
> > the things to look for if it wont shift on up into high

> gear?
> > thanks, Lewis
> >

>
> lets start with the most likley, which is the vacuume
> modulator. pull the
> line off at the trany and if any fluid is in it it needs to be
> replaced.
> KB
>
> --
> ThunderSnake #9 Warn once, shoot twice
> 460 in the pkup, 460 on the stand for another pkup
> and one in the shed for a fun project to yet be decided on


Thanks, Kevin, Tom, L. Brown, and Lugnut, Ill check out the
suggested possible problems and report my success. Lewis

--
Posted using the http://www.autoforumz.com interface, at author's request
Articles individually checked for conformance to usenet standards
Topic URL: http://www.autoforumz.com/Ford-Mecur...ict124206.html
Visit Topic URL to contact author (reg. req'd). Report abuse: http://www.autoforumz.com/eform.php?p=605589
 
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-26-05, 08:01 PM
LewBish
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Re: C-4 Transmission shifting problem

"LewBish" wrote:
> Thanks, Kevin, Tom, L. Brown, and Lugnut, I'll check out the
> suggested possible problems and report my success. Lewis


I still have not gotten around to checking out the suggestions on the
Mustang trans that fails to shift into high gear. I will post my
findings when I have done it. Thanks again Lewbish
 
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

  Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Fordforums Community > USENET NewsGroups > alt.autos.ford
Gear in this thread - Powered by O'Reilly Auto Parts


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are Off
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome