Car dealerships and hidden charges - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Fordforums Community > USENET NewsGroups > alt.autos.ford
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-21-2005, 13:01   #1 (permalink)
kr0
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Car dealerships and hidden charges

Apparently there has been an issue with car dealerships adding hidden
charges to inflate the standard DMV registration fees. There are a number of
various charges that are suspected of inflating the various fees paid for
newly purchased or leased cars. If you check out
http://www.lawyersandsettlements.com/case/dmv there is more information on
this and what you can do about it. There is also a free case evaluation for
those who suspect they might have been subject to this. I hope this may be
of help to some.

kr0


  Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 03-21-2005, 17:01   #2 (permalink)
BenDover@mailcity.com
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Car dealerships and hidden charges

Looks like the shark lawyers are looking for your help in earning
them a few more million dollars.

The fact is, it is illegal in every state to charge MORE than the
actual fees to register a vehicle, obtain a license plate, issue
or transfer a title, record the title lien, etc., or to obtain
any duplicate or replacement for any of the above. In most
states it is also illegal to charge more than a specified amount,
say $50 or $75, to complete the forms required by the government
entity when purchasing a vehicle. If you suspect your were
overcharged by a dealership, simply notice the DMV or it
equivalent.
As to how much a dealership chooses to mark up a dealer install
option, it a matter of buyer beware, not illegal.
If you believe that $15 accent stripe on your Toyota is worth
$195 because you believe Toyota uses better tape
that is your dumb fault.


mike hunt



Kr wrote:
>
> Apparently there has been an issue with car dealerships adding hidden
> charges to inflate the standard DMV registration fees. There are a number of
> various charges that are suspected of inflating the various fees paid for
> newly purchased or leased cars. If you check out
> http://www.lawyersandsetlements.com/case/dmv there is more information on
> this and what you can do about it. There is also a free case evaluation for
> those who suspect they might have been subject to this. I hope this may be
> of help to some.
>
> kr0

  Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2005, 17:01   #3 (permalink)
msterspy
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Car dealerships and hidden charges

My dealer charged an advertising fee. I didn't bother arguing about
it. It was a small amount compared to the cost of the car. The Dealer
actually got me a better interest rate at my own bank than I could
have gotten from the bank myself. And as far as various fees for
going the DMV and the insurance company, it was well worth it to me. I
just signed a few papers at the dealer and they transfered the plates.
I didn't have to drive to my insurance company or DMV for anything.

Generally speaking, dealer add ons are a waste of money. If it didn't
come from the factory then it should be installed by a dealer. I made
that mistake once. Never again.

I think your right about the lawyers. My oppinions and statements on
that subject would contain many swear words.
M


On Mon, 21 Mar 2005 17:56:50 -0500, BenDover@mailcity.com wrote:

>Looks like the shark lawyers are looking for your help in earning
>them a few more million dollars.
>
>The fact is, it is illegal in every state to charge MORE than the
>actual fees to register a vehicle, obtain a license plate, issue
>or transfer a title, record the title lien, etc., or to obtain
>any duplicate or replacement for any of the above. In most
>states it is also illegal to charge more than a specified amount,
>say $50 or $75, to complete the forms required by the government
>entity when purchasing a vehicle. If you suspect your were
>overcharged by a dealership, simply notice the DMV or it
>equivalent.
>As to how much a dealership chooses to mark up a dealer install
>option, it a matter of buyer beware, not illegal.
>If you believe that $15 accent stripe on your Toyota is worth
>$195 because you believe Toyota uses better tape
>that is your dumb fault.
>
>
>mike hunt
>
>
>
>Kr wrote:
>>
>> Apparently there has been an issue with car dealerships adding hidden
>> charges to inflate the standard DMV registration fees. There are a number of
>> various charges that are suspected of inflating the various fees paid for
>> newly purchased or leased cars. If you check out
>> http://www.lawyersandsetlements.com/case/dmv there is more information on
>> this and what you can do about it. There is also a free case evaluation for
>> those who suspect they might have been subject to this. I hope this may be
>> of help to some.
>>
>> kr0


  Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2005, 18:01   #4 (permalink)
3 dog nite@swatch.com
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Car dealerships and hidden charges

On Mon, 21 Mar 2005 19:35:12 GMT, "kr0" <kentr0ss@yahoo.com> wrote:

>Apparently there has been an issue with car dealerships adding hidden
>charges to inflate the standard DMV registration fees. There are a number of
>various charges that are suspected of inflating the various fees paid for
>newly purchased or leased cars. If you check out
>http://www.lawyersandsettlements.com/case/dmv there is more information on
>this and what you can do about it. There is also a free case evaluation for
>those who suspect they might have been subject to this. I hope this may be
>of help to some.
>
>kr0
>



in my opinion
the worst canadian dealership
would have to be slave lake ford
it has been my experience that small 7 bay shops
have had a hard time making rent
thus rip off tatics are used

just my opinion what you think jim ??



hurc ast
  Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2005, 19:01   #5 (permalink)
Jim Warman
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Car dealerships and hidden charges

I think you are wrong again.... I've never heard of Slave Lake Ford.


>
>
> in my opinion
> the worst canadian dealership
> would have to be slave lake ford
> it has been my experience that small 7 bay shops
> have had a hard time making rent
> thus rip off tatics are used
>
> just my opinion what you think jim ??
>
>
>
> hurc ast



  Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2005, 09:01   #6 (permalink)
scott_z500@my-deja.com
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Car dealerships and hidden charges

If you really want to see nusiance add on fees, then try the service
dept. You get all kinds of shop fees, and environmental fees, etc.

  Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2005, 10:02   #7 (permalink)
Jeff
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Car dealerships and hidden charges


<scott_z500@my-deja.com> wrote in message
news:1111506136.126883.126230@l41g2000cwc.googlegroups.com...
> If you really want to see nusiance add on fees, then try the service
> dept. You get all kinds of shop fees, and environmental fees, etc.


Some of those fees are reasonable. They represent the cost of doing
business.

Some of them aren't.

Jeff


  Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2005, 16:01   #8 (permalink)
351CJ
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Car dealerships and hidden charges

Jeff wrote:
> <scott_z500@my-deja.com> wrote in message
> news:1111506136.126883.126230@l41g2000cwc.googlegroups.com...
>
>>If you really want to see nusiance add on fees, then try the service
>>dept. You get all kinds of shop fees, and environmental fees, etc.

>
>
> Some of those fees are reasonable. They represent the cost of doing
> business.
>
> Some of them aren't.
>
> Jeff



Listing them as separate fees that you charge each customer is petty and
deceptive. If it is the cost of you doing business, raise your
hourly rate by $x an hour and stop harassing your customers. If you
can't compete on price you better damn well be able to compete on
quality, not fudging the numbers.

A simple hourly rate that covers ALL costs is much simpler and goes
along way toward helping remove the stench of the stereotypical shyster
"used car salesman" that many repair shops, dealer service departments,
and the same goes for the fees with the dealer sales groups.
  Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2005, 17:01   #9 (permalink)
BigJohnson@mailcity.com
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Car dealerships and hidden charges

Some dealership simply raised their shop rate to reflect the
extra cost of meeting ever increasing environmental regulations,
placed on them by the government. Others have chosen to add
those costs as separate items on your bill, so buyers would
understand it is NOT the dealership making more money but the
cost of government mandates. It costs money to dispose of tires,
batteries, solvents, antifreeze, paint and item like the rags and
containers used in relationship to those products that become
contaminated. It also costs money to train employees in their
proper use and disposal and for the special equipment, required
by OSHA, used by those employees

I personally prefer that approach. When I was still in
manufacturing the federal laws that required us to meet emission
and safety standards that doubled the price of a small car, COULD
NOT by law be listed separately as federal required mandates on
the price label. The opposite was true of gas guzzler tax. The
manufactures could not simply raise the base price of a model so
effected. The tax by law had to be listed separately on the
sticker. People should have the right to know what actions,
taking in their name by their government, are costing. There was
a time when the price of gasoline and the federal and state taxes
was listed separately on the pump to show the total listed on the
meter. That too is no longer allowed so people do not know the
average state gasoline tax is .29C and the federal tax is .185C.
In some states they also pay a 6% or mare sales tax, as well,
included in the meter rate. Simply put governments to not want
you to know that they earn more per gallon then the oil company
on the price you are paying for gasoline. The state with the
most cars, which normally would crete greater competition amount
retail outlets to keep prices down, has the highest price for
gasoline. Most Californians have no idea that it is their state
stringent environmental laws that effect the price. Laws that
unduly restrict the normal production, storage, transpiration as
well as the composition of the gas they burn, in addition to the
taxes account for the much higher price. Sparsely populated
neighboring states with less competition that should normally
make prices higher are actually lower. The average gas station
leans about six cents a gallon profit, about what the earned when
gas was 25C a gallon. The refiner companies make a smaller
percentage of the price, in profit on gasoline, than they did
twenty-five years ago.


mike hunt



Jeff wrote:
>
> <scott_z500@my-deja.com> wrote in message
> news:1111506136.126883.126230@l41g2000cwc.googlegroups.com...
> > If you really want to see nusiance add on fees, then try the service
> > dept. You get all kinds of shop fees, and environmental fees, etc.

>
> Some of those fees are reasonable. They represent the cost of doing
> business.
>
> Some of them aren't.
>
> Jeff

  Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2005, 17:01   #10 (permalink)
Some ga
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Car dealerships and hidden charges

On Tue, 22 Mar 2005 22:06:20 GMT, 351CJ <351CJ@msn.com> wrote:

>Jeff wrote:
>> <scott_z500@my-deja.com> wrote in message
>> news:1111506136.126883.126230@l41g2000cwc.googlegroups.com...
>>
>>>If you really want to see nusiance add on fees, then try the service
>>>dept. You get all kinds of shop fees, and environmental fees, etc.

>>
>>
>> Some of those fees are reasonable. They represent the cost of doing
>> business.
>>
>> Some of them aren't.
>>
>> Jeff

>
>
>Listing them as separate fees that you charge each customer is petty and
> deceptive. If it is the cost of you doing business, raise your
>hourly rate by $x an hour and stop harassing your customers. If you
>can't compete on price you better damn well be able to compete on
>quality, not fudging the numbers.
>
>A simple hourly rate that covers ALL costs is much simpler and goes
>along way toward helping remove the stench of the stereotypical shyster
>"used car salesman" that many repair shops, dealer service departments,
> and the same goes for the fees with the dealer sales groups.


When I apprenticed (years and years ago) the shop that I worked in
charged $52.00 when the dealers were charging $30.00 per hour

We had no hidden or added charges but we did have a 2 week wait for
customers b/c it was so busy (customers tend to prefer honest garages)
  Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

  Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Fordforums Community > USENET NewsGroups > alt.autos.ford



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are Off
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.2

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 18:42.



Powered by vBulletin® Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0
Garage Plus vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.