Changin an oil pump CAN SHE DO IT :) :( - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Fordforums Community > USENET NewsGroups > alt.autos.ford
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-09-2005, 15:01   #1 (permalink)
Burgymi via CarKB.com
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Changin an oil pump CAN SHE DO IT :) :(

I have a 1989 Ford Tbird with a 1990 Merc Cougar engine 3.8.
I just changed the oil pressure switch not the prob still low oil pressure so
I am goin to attempt the oil pump myself, any suggestions? Is the oil pump a
no brainer on this car. I work at advance auto parts but I only fix my cars
when I know I can do it for sure otherwise I have a mechanic, but lately he
is gettin a lil pricey. So heads up please can I hang????
  Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 10-09-2005, 15:01   #2 (permalink)
Tom Adkins
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Changin an oil pump CAN SHE DO IT :) :(

Burgymi via CarKB.com wrote:
> I have a 1989 Ford Tbird with a 1990 Merc Cougar engine 3.8.
> I just changed the oil pressure switch not the prob still low oil pressure so
> I am goin to attempt the oil pump myself, any suggestions? Is the oil pump a
> no brainer on this car. I work at advance auto parts but I only fix my cars
> when I know I can do it for sure otherwise I have a mechanic, but lately he
> is gettin a lil pricey. So heads up please can I hang????


The pump housing is cast into the timing cover on the 3.8, so yes, it's very doable.
Are you sure you have no oil pressure? Check it with a mechanical oil pressure gauge.
If you truly had NO oil pressure, lots of lifter and rod noise would be evident
followed very shortly by the sound of parts trying to escape the engine. If you
already have these noises, then a new pump would pretty much be useless. There are 2
common issues with this motor that can cause low, or no, oil pressure. One is a broken
pump drive. Remove the distrtibutor to check it. Another is bearing wash. This is
caused by coolant in the oil, usually from current or recent head gasket failure. The
coolant washes the bearing material off of the bearing shells. Verify, inspect, then
determine if the motor is worth saving.
  Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2005, 17:01   #3 (permalink)
Backyard Mechanic
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Changin an oil pump CAN SHE DO IT :) :(

"Burgymi via CarKB.com" <u14730@uwe> wrote in news:559879b0de428@uwe:

> I have a 1989 Ford Tbird with a 1990 Merc Cougar engine 3.8.
> I just changed the oil pressure switch not the prob still low oil
> pressure so I am goin to attempt the oil pump myself, any suggestions?
> Is the oil pump a no brainer on this car. I work at advance auto parts
> but I only fix my cars when I know I can do it for sure otherwise I
> have a mechanic, but lately he is gettin a lil pricey. So heads up
> please can I hang????


Let's analyse here.. you said you changed the 'switch' do you mean
'sender'? (sensor)

Somewhere around that year, Tbird went to a fooler gauge.. pressure SWITCH
as the sender..

That causes the needle to stay steady as long as it has pressure at all

there's a 20 ohm resistor in cars that use the fooler gauge.

If your pressure varies from very low (but higher than ign on) at idle to
just low at speed, check for that 20 ohm resistor by grounding the sender
lead. If it goes to midrange of the word "Normal" it has the resistor.

If it goes to top of gauge it doesnt have resistor and a "low" reading IS
low.

On a 93, for instance, the resistor is on back of cluster, just solder a
small wire across it to use a real sender.

I hear on others it may be in the lead at the sender end.
  Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2005, 17:01   #4 (permalink)
Burgymi via CarKB.com
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Changin an oil pump CAN SHE DO IT :) :(

the oil pressure light is in the red and there is no change in engine noise
sounds just fine. there is no coolant in the oil.
Tom Adkins wrote:
>> I have a 1989 Ford Tbird with a 1990 Merc Cougar engine 3.8.
>> I just changed the oil pressure switch not the prob still low oil pressure so
>> I am goin to attempt the oil pump myself, any suggestions? Is the oil pump a
>> no brainer on this car. I work at advance auto parts but I only fix my cars
>> when I know I can do it for sure otherwise I have a mechanic, but lately he
>> is gettin a lil pricey. So heads up please can I hang????

>
> The pump housing is cast into the timing cover on the 3.8, so yes, it's very doable.
>Are you sure you have no oil pressure? Check it with a mechanical oil pressure gauge.
>If you truly had NO oil pressure, lots of lifter and rod noise would be evident
>followed very shortly by the sound of parts trying to escape the engine. If you
>already have these noises, then a new pump would pretty much be useless. There are 2
>common issues with this motor that can cause low, or no, oil pressure. One is a broken
>pump drive. Remove the distrtibutor to check it. Another is bearing wash. This is
>caused by coolant in the oil, usually from current or recent head gasket failure. The
>coolant washes the bearing material off of the bearing shells. Verify, inspect, then
>determine if the motor is worth saving.

  Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2005, 17:01   #5 (permalink)
Burgymi via CarKB.com
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Changin an oil pump CAN SHE DO IT :) :(

it has a needle no wires, in the computer at my work it is called an oil
pressure switch/sender and all that other stuff you said i have no clue..
Backyard Mechanic wrote:
>> I have a 1989 Ford Tbird with a 1990 Merc Cougar engine 3.8.
>> I just changed the oil pressure switch not the prob still low oil

>[quoted text clipped - 3 lines]
>> have a mechanic, but lately he is gettin a lil pricey. So heads up
>> please can I hang????

>
>Let's analyse here.. you said you changed the 'switch' do you mean
>'sender'? (sensor)
>
>Somewhere around that year, Tbird went to a fooler gauge.. pressure SWITCH
>as the sender..
>
>That causes the needle to stay steady as long as it has pressure at all
>
>there's a 20 ohm resistor in cars that use the fooler gauge.
>
>If your pressure varies from very low (but higher than ign on) at idle to
>just low at speed, check for that 20 ohm resistor by grounding the sender
>lead. If it goes to midrange of the word "Normal" it has the resistor.
>
>If it goes to top of gauge it doesnt have resistor and a "low" reading IS
>low.
>
>On a 93, for instance, the resistor is on back of cluster, just solder a
>small wire across it to use a real sender.
>
>I hear on others it may be in the lead at the sender end.

  Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2005, 17:01   #6 (permalink)
Backyard Mechanic
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Changin an oil pump CAN SHE DO IT :) :(

Never mind...I dont think you can do it...



"Burgymi via CarKB.com" <u14730@uwe> wrote in news:55998d2a1bfac@uwe:

> it has a needle no wires, in the computer at my work it is called an
> oil pressure switch/sender and all that other stuff you said i have no
> clue..


The rest of you reading this, keep it in mind next time you ask the parts
counter person a quaestion.

This is pretty basic stuff.


Backyard Mechanic wrote:
>>> I have a 1989 Ford Tbird with a 1990 Merc Cougar engine 3.8.
>>> I just changed the oil pressure switch not the prob still low oil

>>[quoted text clipped - 3 lines]
>>> have a mechanic, but lately he is gettin a lil pricey. So heads up
>>> please can I hang????

>>
>>Let's analyse here.. you said you changed the 'switch' do you mean
>>'sender'? (sensor)
>>
>>Somewhere around that year, Tbird went to a fooler gauge.. pressure
>>SWITCH as the sender..
>>
>>That causes the needle to stay steady as long as it has pressure at
>>all
>>
>>there's a 20 ohm resistor in cars that use the fooler gauge.
>>
>>If your pressure varies from very low (but higher than ign on) at idle
>>to just low at speed, check for that 20 ohm resistor by grounding the
>>sender lead. If it goes to midrange of the word "Normal" it has the
>>resistor.
>>
>>If it goes to top of gauge it doesnt have resistor and a "low" reading
>>IS low.
>>
>>On a 93, for instance, the resistor is on back of cluster, just solder
>>a small wire across it to use a real sender.
>>
>>I hear on others it may be in the lead at the sender end.


  Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2005, 19:01   #7 (permalink)
Jim Warman
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Changin an oil pump CAN SHE DO IT :) :(

When in doubt, use a master (mechanical) gauge to verify oil pressure. It is
the oil pressure itself that matters, not the gauge reading... therefore, it
stands to reason that we should first worry about the pressure. If oil
pressure is poor, additional engine damage can result from our attempts to
repair the gauge rather than addressing the root cause.

We would normally expect to hear increased engine noises resulting from
inadequate oil pressure..... If I've learned anything in these nearly 40
years of doing this, it is "don't take anything for granted....".If we are
to commit an error, we should do it conservitavely...


"Burgymi via CarKB.com" <u14730@uwe> wrote in message
news:559879b0de428@uwe...
> I have a 1989 Ford Tbird with a 1990 Merc Cougar engine 3.8.
> I just changed the oil pressure switch not the prob still low oil pressure

so
> I am goin to attempt the oil pump myself, any suggestions? Is the oil pump

a
> no brainer on this car. I work at advance auto parts but I only fix my

cars
> when I know I can do it for sure otherwise I have a mechanic, but lately

he
> is gettin a lil pricey. So heads up please can I hang????



  Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2005, 19:01   #8 (permalink)
Burgymi via CarKB.com
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Changin an oil pump CAN SHE DO IT :) :(

I can handle basics, but an oil pump is a pretty big deal my engine is
depending on the oil pump to be done right. Naw not gonna mess with it I wil
stick to changing alternators, and starters and the easier stuff...thanks for
advice though guess i gotta pay to have it done.

Backyard Mechanic wrote:
>Never mind...I dont think you can do it...
>
>> it has a needle no wires, in the computer at my work it is called an
>> oil pressure switch/sender and all that other stuff you said i have no
>> clue..

>
>The rest of you reading this, keep it in mind next time you ask the parts
>counter person a quaestion.
>
>This is pretty basic stuff.
>
>Backyard Mechanic wrote:
>>>> I have a 1989 Ford Tbird with a 1990 Merc Cougar engine 3.8.
>>>> I just changed the oil pressure switch not the prob still low oil

>[quoted text clipped - 25 lines]
>>>
>>>I hear on others it may be in the lead at the sender end.

  Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2005, 23:01   #9 (permalink)
Backyard Mechanic
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Changin an oil pump CAN SHE DO IT :) :(

"Jim Warman" <mechanic@tenalpsulet.net> wrote in
news:chi2f.8947$S4.5208@edtnps84:

> When in doubt, use a master (mechanical) gauge to verify oil pressure.
> It is the oil pressure itself that matters, not the gauge reading...
> therefore, it stands to reason that we should first worry about the
> pressure. If oil pressure is poor, additional engine damage can result
> from our attempts to repair the gauge rather than addressing the root
> cause.
>
> We would normally expect to hear increased engine noises resulting
> from inadequate oil pressure..... If I've learned anything in these
> nearly 40 years of doing this, it is "don't take anything for
> granted....".If we are to commit an error, we should do it
> conservitavely...


Forget it, Jim... she either cant read or she's an idiot.

My kid had a 93 cougar.. came with a variable sender... my two 93 Tbirds
both had the fooler switch.


I DONT know how much clearer I can make it!
  Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

  Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Fordforums Community > USENET NewsGroups > alt.autos.ford



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are Off
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.2

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 08:19.



Powered by vBulletin® Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0
Garage Plus vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.