Die electric grease usage? - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Fordforums Community > USENET NewsGroups > alt.autos.ford
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-20-2006, 22:01   #1 (permalink)
Bob Urz
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Die electric grease usage?

What is the convention on using die electric grease on spark plug
wires? I have seen it in the plug boot ends. But what about on the coil
wire between the distributor cap and coil?

My taurus has been building up corrosion on the coil side of the wire
to distributor wire. I am trying to determine if die electric grease
is suitable here and if that may help the problem. The car has been
kind of bucking and it seems like a ignition problem. Its got relatively
fresh plugs and wires, and shows no visible arcing in the dark at night.
But there was white corrosion on the coil when the would wire connects
to the distributor


Bob

----== Posted via Newsfeeds.Com - Unlimited-Unrestricted-Secure Usenet News==----
http://www.newsfeeds.com The #1 Newsgroup Service in the World! 120,000+ Newsgroups
----= East and West-Coast Server Farms - Total Privacy via Encryption =----
  Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 01-20-2006, 22:01   #2 (permalink)
CL (dnoyeB) Gilbert
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Die electric grease usage?

Bob Urz wrote:
> What is the convention on using die electric grease on spark plug
> wires? I have seen it in the plug boot ends. But what about on the coil
> wire between the distributor cap and coil?
>
> My taurus has been building up corrosion on the coil side of the wire
> to distributor wire. I am trying to determine if die electric grease
> is suitable here and if that may help the problem. The car has been
> kind of bucking and it seems like a ignition problem. Its got relatively
> fresh plugs and wires, and shows no visible arcing in the dark at night.
> But there was white corrosion on the coil when the would wire connects
> to the distributor
>
>
> Bob
>
> ----== Posted via Newsfeeds.Com - Unlimited-Unrestricted-Secure Usenet
> News==----
> http://www.newsfeeds.com The #1 Newsgroup Service in the World! 120,000+
> Newsgroups
> ----= East and West-Coast Server Farms - Total Privacy via Encryption =----


shouldnt be building corossion in the first place. Thats indication of
poor connection. The grease does not assist in the connection (well
unless its too difficult or something).

That being said, the grease will not do anything negative if you put it
on both ends of the wires.


--
Thank you,


CL Gilbert
"Then said I, Wisdom [is] better than strength: nevertheless the poor
man's wisdom [is] despised, and his words are not heard." Ecclesiastes 9:16
  Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2006, 05:01   #3 (permalink)
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Die electric grease usage?


"Bob Urz" <sound@inetnebr.com> wrote in message
news:1137819969_8913@sp6iad.superfeed.net...
> What is the convention on using die electric grease on spark plug
> wires? I have seen it in the plug boot ends. But what about on the coil
> wire between the distributor cap and coil?


There are dielectric compounds made for this purpose, and they
help keep the caps from siezing on the distributor towers and the spark
plugs. They do not soften or damage the insulation elastomers used on
ignition cables.

You often receive a small packet of this type of grease when you buy
new ignition cables.

By helping exclude oxygen from the surface of the metal, they can also
help stop or slow the oxidation process.

Note that the word is not 'die electric', but rather dielectric. It means
that
the grease is NOT conductive to electricity.


  Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2006, 05:01   #4 (permalink)
Backyard Mechanic
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Die electric grease usage?

"CL (dnoyeB) Gilbert" <Fake@ThisOneIsFake.com> wrote:

> Bob Urz wrote:
>> What is the convention on using die electric grease on spark plug
>> wires? I have seen it in the plug boot ends. But what about on the
>> coil wire between the distributor cap and coil?
>>
>> My taurus has been building up corrosion on the coil side of the wire
>> to distributor wire. I am trying to determine if die electric grease
>> is suitable here and if that may help the problem. The car has been
>> kind of bucking and it seems like a ignition problem. Its got
>> relatively fresh plugs and wires, and shows no visible arcing in the
>> dark at night. But there was white corrosion on the coil when the
>> would wire connects to the distributor
>>
>>
>> Bob
>>
>> ----== Posted via Newsfeeds.Com - Unlimited-Unrestricted-Secure
>> Usenet News==----
>> http://www.newsfeeds.com The #1 Newsgroup Service in the World!
>> 120,000+ Newsgroups
>> ----= East and West-Coast Server Farms - Total Privacy via Encryption
>> =----

>
> shouldnt be building corossion in the first place. Thats indication
> of poor connection. The grease does not assist in the connection
> (well unless its too difficult or something).
>
> That being said, the grease will not do anything negative if you put
> it on both ends of the wires.


Corrosion is oxidation, the grease serves to keep oxygen out of the
contact area,

As said above, it doesnt conduct... but in this case, high voltage,
that's a good thing.

Clean contacts thoroughly first.


--
Yeh, I'm a Krusty old Geezer, putting up with my 'smartass' is the price
you pay..DEAL with it!
  Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2006, 06:01   #5 (permalink)
Al Bundy
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Die electric grease usage?


HLS@nospam.nix wrote:
> "Bob Urz" <sound@inetnebr.com> wrote in message
> news:1137819969_8913@sp6iad.superfeed.net...
> > What is the convention on using die electric grease on spark plug
> > wires? I have seen it in the plug boot ends. But what about on the coil
> > wire between the distributor cap and coil?

>
> There are dielectric compounds made for this purpose, and they
> help keep the caps from siezing on the distributor towers and the spark
> plugs. They do not soften or damage the insulation elastomers used on
> ignition cables.
>
> You often receive a small packet of this type of grease when you buy
> new ignition cables.
>
> By helping exclude oxygen from the surface of the metal, they can also
> help stop or slow the oxidation process.
>
> Note that the word is not 'die electric', but rather dielectric. It means
> that
> the grease is NOT conductive to electricity



Thanks for correcting that spelling.
The grease is so good that I have used it over wires where the spark
was arcing so bad the vehicle would not start and got instant results.

  Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2006, 07:01   #6 (permalink)
Backyard Mechanic
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Die electric grease usage?

"Al Bundy" <MSfortune@mcpmail.com> wrote:



> The grease is so good that I have used it over wires where the spark
> was arcing so bad the vehicle would not start and got instant results.
>
>


Hah... someone else sees the light!

Periodic treatment of your wires and boots with silicone grease.. a very
thin film, no need to glob it on..will prolong their life indefinitely,
oxidation -and outgassing- kills insulation as well.

--
Yeh, I'm a Krusty old Geezer, putting up with my 'smartass' is the price
you pay..DEAL with it!
  Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2006, 09:01   #7 (permalink)
Tom Adkins
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Die electric grease usage?

Bob Urz wrote:
> What is the convention on using die electric grease on spark plug
> wires? I have seen it in the plug boot ends. But what about on the coil
> wire between the distributor cap and coil?
>
> My taurus has been building up corrosion on the coil side of the wire
> to distributor wire. I am trying to determine if die electric grease
> is suitable here and if that may help the problem. The car has been
> kind of bucking and it seems like a ignition problem. Its got relatively
> fresh plugs and wires, and shows no visible arcing in the dark at night.
> But there was white corrosion on the coil when the would wire connects
> to the distributor
>
>
> Bob
>
> ----== Posted via Newsfeeds.Com - Unlimited-Unrestricted-Secure Usenet
> News==----
> http://www.newsfeeds.com The #1 Newsgroup Service in the World! 120,000+
> Newsgroups
> ----= East and West-Coast Server Farms - Total Privacy via Encryption =----

Dielectric grease should be used on all of the boots on all of the wires.
It has been my experience that, most times, corrosion on the wire connections
indicates high resistance in the wire. This is usually caused by burning of the center
conductor just past the connection, often seen on lower price wire sets. I'll bet if
you pulled the boot off of the coil end of that wire, you would see the center
conductor burned out about 1/2" down the wire from the terminal.
I got burned by this on my own car once. 1986 Taurus 3.0L. I bought it with 6 month
old wires ACCEL wires(receipt in glovebox).The engine ran smooth but wouldn't get out
of it's own way. I went round and round with it while assuming the "newer" wires were
good. A friend stopped by and pulled the wires off of the cap, pulled off the boots,
and showed me the problem. The bad wires happened to be on 1 cylinder of each mated
pair, I think #s 1-3-5. The dist. cap towers on the 3 bad cylinders were corroded.
Inspection showed that the center conductors were burned on those 3 wires.
Since then, looking for corrosion on the cap and coil terminals has proven to be a
good indicator of failing plug wires. I see this a lot on aftermarket wires,much more
so than OEM or replacement Motorcraft wires.
  Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2006, 09:01   #8 (permalink)
Mike Romain
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Die electric grease usage?

I use it on all the plug wire boots on all the ends and cover the low
tension connections and plug and socket skirts with it too. I can run
my Jeep across 42" of standing water with no issues....

The corrosion in the center coil terminal implies a bad connection.
Either the coil wire's center core isn't tight to the wire clip or the
clip is loose in the coil hole. That clip is supposed to actually
scratch the edge of the coil's hole when it goes in.

The other connection needs cleaning too and if it is the press fit Ford
coil plug, the contact inside might be now bent or out of alignment. If
bent, it is likely dead or corrosion killed, but you might be able to
make it spring back.

Mike
86/00 CJ7 Laredo, 33x9.5 BFG Muds, 'glass nose to tail in '00
88 Cherokee 235 BFG AT's
Canadian Off Road Trips Photos: Non members can still view!
Jan/06 http://www.imagestation.com/album/pi...?id=2115147590
(More Off Road album links at bottom of the view page)


Bob Urz wrote:
>
> What is the convention on using die electric grease on spark plug
> wires? I have seen it in the plug boot ends. But what about on the coil
> wire between the distributor cap and coil?
>
> My taurus has been building up corrosion on the coil side of the wire
> to distributor wire. I am trying to determine if die electric grease
> is suitable here and if that may help the problem. The car has been
> kind of bucking and it seems like a ignition problem. Its got relatively
> fresh plugs and wires, and shows no visible arcing in the dark at night.
> But there was white corrosion on the coil when the would wire connects
> to the distributor
>
> Bob
>
> ----== Posted via Newsfeeds.Com - Unlimited-Unrestricted-Secure Usenet News==----
> http://www.newsfeeds.com The #1 Newsgroup Service in the World! 120,000+ Newsgroups
> ----= East and West-Coast Server Farms - Total Privacy via Encryption =----

  Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2006, 09:01   #9 (permalink)
Mike Romain
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Die electric grease usage?

Tom Adkins wrote:
>
> Bob Urz wrote:
> > What is the convention on using die electric grease on spark plug
> > wires? I have seen it in the plug boot ends. But what about on the coil
> > wire between the distributor cap and coil?
> >
> > My taurus has been building up corrosion on the coil side of the wire
> > to distributor wire. I am trying to determine if die electric grease
> > is suitable here and if that may help the problem. The car has been
> > kind of bucking and it seems like a ignition problem. Its got relatively
> > fresh plugs and wires, and shows no visible arcing in the dark at night.
> > But there was white corrosion on the coil when the would wire connects
> > to the distributor
> >
> >
> > Bob
> >
> > ----== Posted via Newsfeeds.Com - Unlimited-Unrestricted-Secure Usenet
> > News==----
> > http://www.newsfeeds.com The #1 Newsgroup Service in the World! 120,000+
> > Newsgroups
> > ----= East and West-Coast Server Farms - Total Privacy via Encryption =----

> Dielectric grease should be used on all of the boots on all of the wires.
> It has been my experience that, most times, corrosion on the wire connections
> indicates high resistance in the wire. This is usually caused by burning of the center
> conductor just past the connection, often seen on lower price wire sets. I'll bet if
> you pulled the boot off of the coil end of that wire, you would see the center
> conductor burned out about 1/2" down the wire from the terminal.
> I got burned by this on my own car once. 1986 Taurus 3.0L. I bought it with 6 month
> old wires ACCEL wires(receipt in glovebox).The engine ran smooth but wouldn't get out
> of it's own way. I went round and round with it while assuming the "newer" wires were
> good. A friend stopped by and pulled the wires off of the cap, pulled off the boots,
> and showed me the problem. The bad wires happened to be on 1 cylinder of each mated
> pair, I think #s 1-3-5. The dist. cap towers on the 3 bad cylinders were corroded.
> Inspection showed that the center conductors were burned on those 3 wires.
> Since then, looking for corrosion on the cap and coil terminals has proven to be a
> good indicator of failing plug wires. I see this a lot on aftermarket wires,much more
> so than OEM or replacement Motorcraft wires.


I had the same experience with ACCEL wires. They all corroded out and
crapped out within a year. Their 'performance' distributor cap didn't
last 2 months.

I stick with OEM from the $tealer. They work the best from my
experience.

Mike
86/00 CJ7 Laredo, 33x9.5 BFG Muds, 'glass nose to tail in '00
88 Cherokee 235 BFG AT's
Canadian Off Road Trips Photos: Non members can still view!
Jan/06 http://www.imagestation.com/album/pi...?id=2115147590
(More Off Road album links at bottom of the view page)
  Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2006, 10:01   #10 (permalink)
clifto
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Die electric grease usage?

Backyard Mechanic wrote:
> As said above, it doesnt conduct... but in this case, high voltage,
> that's a good thing.


The voltage doesn't arc through the dielectric grease. The connectors wipe
away the grease at the contact points. The object of the grease is to cover
the parts that aren't making contact.

--
If John McCain gets the 2008 Republican Presidential nomination,
my vote for President will be a write-in for Jiang Zemin.
  Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

  Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Fordforums Community > USENET NewsGroups > alt.autos.ford



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are Off
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.2

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 22:43.



Powered by vBulletin® Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0
Garage Plus vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.