electrical problems-'90 T-Bird - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 09-07-05, 12:01 AM
cs
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
electrical problems-'90 T-Bird

I have a non-turbo, '90 T-Bird with a mere 76k miles, that has an
electrical problem: the battery keeps draining. If it is charged
while hooked up, the alternator actually gets warm, and the voltage
keeps dropping. I have used it for a couple short trips like this,
i.e., charging it while disconnected, then short drives where I leave
the engine running. I was thinking it was the alternator, as it seems
to be a bit noisier than normal.

However yesterday, even with a fully charged battery, plus a second
fully charged battery attached with jumpers, will not turn the engine
over (just get some anemic clicks). Also, a half-hour later, even the
dome lights won't come on.

Any clues as to what the problem might be? This has been an 'all of a
sudden' problem. Again, I was thinking alternator, but now I'm
thinking something else, maybe starter, that is mega-pulling current.

I read some post on here about the seat switches causing a problem
like this, but I've wiggled all those switches without a change.
 
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 09-07-05, 07:01 AM
lugnut
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: electrical problems-'90 T-Bird

On Wed, 07 Sep 2005 01:14:33 -0400, cs <cobs@fus.net> wrote:

>I have a non-turbo, '90 T-Bird with a mere 76k miles, that has an
>electrical problem: the battery keeps draining. If it is charged
>while hooked up, the alternator actually gets warm, and the voltage
>keeps dropping. I have used it for a couple short trips like this,
>i.e., charging it while disconnected, then short drives where I leave
>the engine running. I was thinking it was the alternator, as it seems
>to be a bit noisier than normal.
>
>However yesterday, even with a fully charged battery, plus a second
>fully charged battery attached with jumpers, will not turn the engine
>over (just get some anemic clicks). Also, a half-hour later, even the
>dome lights won't come on.
>
>Any clues as to what the problem might be? This has been an 'all of a
>sudden' problem. Again, I was thinking alternator, but now I'm
>thinking something else, maybe starter, that is mega-pulling current.
>
>I read some post on here about the seat switches causing a problem
>like this, but I've wiggled all those switches without a change.



If the alternator is getting warm w/o the engine running,
you likely have a bad alternator allowing feedback. This is
not an uncommon failure.
 
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 09-07-05, 09:01 AM
Backyard Mechanic
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: electrical problems-'90 T-Bird

lugnut <lugnut@bellsouth.net> wrote in
news:vjmth1pbgbkgtt954olk7kdc3b6gk6ic5o@4ax.com:

> On Wed, 07 Sep 2005 01:14:33 -0400, cs <cobs@fus.net> wrote:
>

but I've wiggled all those switches without a change.
>
>
> If the alternator is getting warm w/o the engine running,
> you likely have a bad alternator allowing feedback. This is
> not an uncommon failure.
>


ditto.

get a rebuilt alternator from NAPA or other store that supplies repair
shops.

BTW, there are no 'turbo' 90 TBirds (from factory)... assume you mean non-
supercharged.
 
post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 09-08-05, 10:01 PM
cs
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: electrical problems-'90 T-Bird

Thanks for the replies. You guys were right, thus far, no problems,
with just changing the alternator (which I got from a salvage yard for
$35 :).


On Wed, 07 Sep 2005 14:35:17 GMT, Backyard Mechanic
<pettyfog@yaywho.com> wrote:

>lugnut <lugnut@bellsouth.net> wrote in
>news:vjmth1pbgbkgtt954olk7kdc3b6gk6ic5o@4ax.com:
>
>> On Wed, 07 Sep 2005 01:14:33 -0400, cs <cobs@fus.net> wrote:
>>

>but I've wiggled all those switches without a change.
>>
>>
>> If the alternator is getting warm w/o the engine running,
>> you likely have a bad alternator allowing feedback. This is
>> not an uncommon failure.
>>

>
>ditto.
>
>get a rebuilt alternator from NAPA or other store that supplies repair
>shops.
>
>BTW, there are no 'turbo' 90 TBirds (from factory)... assume you mean non-
>supercharged.


 
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 09-09-05, 12:01 AM
Backyard Mechanic
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: electrical problems-'90 T-Bird

Okay!

Now you know that and how to get the belt on and off, go buy a set of
brushes for that alt from NAPA or such parts store, dont even bother with
autozone.

And replace the brushes... voila! Will prolly last as long as you have the
car.

Google this Group for my alt refurb tip Easy job

cs <cobs@fus.net> wrote in
news:iv02i19goi4sg8dlklt5c47abamniq8o1s@4ax.com:

> Thanks for the replies. You guys were right, thus far, no problems,
> with just changing the alternator (which I got from a salvage yard for
> $35 :).
>


 
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

  Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Fordforums Community > USENET NewsGroups > alt.autos.ford
Gear in this thread - Powered by O'Reilly Auto Parts


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are Off
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome