Engine replacement - 96 Taurus (Sable) - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 07-21-05, 09:01 PM
Joe-46er
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Engine replacement - 96 Taurus (Sable)

My son blew the motor on my 96 Sable SW. I got a good used one from
an e-bay seller.

Would someone give me some tips on replacement? Eg: pull the tranny
with it? While it's out should I replace the freeze plugs (heard they
had a problem there) etc etc.

I have a garage lift available to me as well as a cherry picker and
umteen bazillion tools.

Thanks.



_________________________________

"Take a little 5FU, leucovorin and irenotecan for thy stomach's sake." -- 1 Timothy 5:23 (adapted)
 
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 07-22-05, 07:02 AM
Tom Adkins
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Engine replacement - 96 Taurus (Sable)

Joe-46er wrote:
> My son blew the motor on my 96 Sable SW. I got a good used one from
> an e-bay seller.
>
> Would someone give me some tips on replacement? Eg: pull the tranny
> with it? While it's out should I replace the freeze plugs (heard they
> had a problem there) etc etc.
>
> I have a garage lift available to me as well as a cherry picker and
> umteen bazillion tools.
>
> Thanks.
>
>
>
> _________________________________
>
> "Take a little 5FU, leucovorin and irenotecan for thy stomach's sake." -- 1 Timothy 5:23 (adapted)


Good thing you have a lift. The motor comes out through the bottom. You drop engine,
trans, and engine cradle then pull out the motor. You will need a good hydraulic table
for this.
You could disconnect everything and set the cradle/engine/trans on the ground then
lift the car off.
You should have a Ford shop manual if you're not familiar with major repairs on this
car. The Ford Shop manuals on CD are available on Ebay for about $10-20.
 
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 07-23-05, 04:01 PM
Joe-46er
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Engine replacement - 96 Taurus (Sable)

On Fri, 22 Jul 2005 07:35:47 -0400, Tom Adkins
<newton5@remove.comcast.net> wrote:

>Joe-46er wrote:
>> My son blew the motor on my 96 Sable SW. I got a good used one from
>> an e-bay seller.
>>
>> Would someone give me some tips on replacement? Eg: pull the tranny
>> with it? While it's out should I replace the freeze plugs (heard they
>> had a problem there) etc etc.
>>
>> I have a garage lift available to me as well as a cherry picker and
>> umteen bazillion tools.
>>
>> Thanks.
>>
>>
>>
>> _________________________________
>>
>> "Take a little 5FU, leucovorin and irenotecan for thy stomach's sake." -- 1 Timothy 5:23 (adapted)

>
> Good thing you have a lift. The motor comes out through the bottom. You drop engine,
>trans, and engine cradle then pull out the motor. You will need a good hydraulic table
>for this.
> You could disconnect everything and set the cradle/engine/trans on the ground then
>lift the car off.
> You should have a Ford shop manual if you're not familiar with major repairs on this
>car. The Ford Shop manuals on CD are available on Ebay for about $10-20.


Thanks. I found a local garage that will do it for $225 with one day
turn over !

Couldn't pass that up!






_________________________________

"Take a little 5FU, leucovorin and irenotecan for thy stomach's sake." -- 1 Timothy 5:23 (adapted)
 
post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 07-23-05, 08:01 PM
lugnut
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Engine replacement - 96 Taurus (Sable)

On Sat, 23 Jul 2005 21:19:53 GMT, Joe-46er
<nobody@nospam.com> wrote:

>On Fri, 22 Jul 2005 07:35:47 -0400, Tom Adkins
><newton5@remove.comcast.net> wrote:
>
>>Joe-46er wrote:
>>> My son blew the motor on my 96 Sable SW. I got a good used one from
>>> an e-bay seller.
>>>
>>> Would someone give me some tips on replacement? Eg: pull the tranny
>>> with it? While it's out should I replace the freeze plugs (heard they
>>> had a problem there) etc etc.
>>>
>>> I have a garage lift available to me as well as a cherry picker and
>>> umteen bazillion tools.
>>>
>>> Thanks.
>>>
>>>
>>>
>>> _________________________________
>>>
>>> "Take a little 5FU, leucovorin and irenotecan for thy stomach's sake." -- 1 Timothy 5:23 (adapted)

>>
>> Good thing you have a lift. The motor comes out through the bottom. You drop engine,
>>trans, and engine cradle then pull out the motor. You will need a good hydraulic table
>>for this.
>> You could disconnect everything and set the cradle/engine/trans on the ground then
>>lift the car off.
>> You should have a Ford shop manual if you're not familiar with major repairs on this
>>car. The Ford Shop manuals on CD are available on Ebay for about $10-20.

>
>Thanks. I found a local garage that will do it for $225 with one day
>turn over !
>
>Couldn't pass that up!
>
>
>


Lucky dog!!


>
>
>
>_________________________________
>
>"Take a little 5FU, leucovorin and irenotecan for thy stomach's sake." -- 1 Timothy 5:23 (adapted)


 
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 07-24-05, 09:01 PM
Bob
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Engine replacement - 96 Taurus (Sable)


"lugnut" <lugnut@bellsouth.net> wrote in message
news:q8r5e1t617n680ocn5e0eotto6f76hb4l5@4ax.com...
> On Sat, 23 Jul 2005 21:19:53 GMT, Joe-46er
> <nobody@nospam.com> wrote:
>
>>On Fri, 22 Jul 2005 07:35:47 -0400, Tom Adkins
>><newton5@remove.comcast.net> wrote:
>>
>>>Joe-46er wrote:
>>>> My son blew the motor on my 96 Sable SW. I got a good used one from
>>>> an e-bay seller.
>>>>
>>>> Would someone give me some tips on replacement? Eg: pull the tranny
>>>> with it? While it's out should I replace the freeze plugs (heard they
>>>> had a problem there) etc etc.
>>>>
>>>> I have a garage lift available to me as well as a cherry picker and
>>>> umteen bazillion tools.
>>>>
>>>> Thanks.
>>>>
>>>>
>>>>
>>>> _________________________________
>>>>
>>>> "Take a little 5FU, leucovorin and irenotecan for thy stomach's
>>>> sake." -- 1 Timothy 5:23 (adapted)
>>>
>>> Good thing you have a lift. The motor comes out through the bottom. You
>>> drop engine,
>>>trans, and engine cradle then pull out the motor. You will need a good
>>>hydraulic table
>>>for this.
>>> You could disconnect everything and set the cradle/engine/trans on the
>>> ground then
>>>lift the car off.
>>> You should have a Ford shop manual if you're not familiar with major
>>> repairs on this
>>>car. The Ford Shop manuals on CD are available on Ebay for about $10-20.

>>
>>Thanks. I found a local garage that will do it for $225 with one day
>>turn over !
>>
>>Couldn't pass that up!
>>
>>
>>

>
> Lucky dog!!


We shall see, that is about a 12 hour job for someone who knows what they
are doing. You know what they say about things that sound too good to be
true.
Bob


 
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

  Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Fordforums Community > USENET NewsGroups > alt.autos.ford
Gear in this thread - Powered by O'Reilly Auto Parts


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are Off
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome