Ford Contour Wheel Bearing??? - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
¬Ľ Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Fordforums Community > USENET NewsGroups > alt.autos.ford
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-23-2005, 00:01   #1 (permalink)
katheek77
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Ford Contour Wheel Bearing???

I just had all four of my tires replaced...as soon as I drove away, I
noticed a "clacking" sound...kind of like putting a straw in the
spokes of your bike tire...(Iím very paranoid about my car, so I KNOW
it wasnít making this sound before hand). I only hear it when I go
forward or turn right, not back or left. Itís also a lot less
noticable, or even disappears, after the carís been driven for about
fifteen minutes or so. Everyone tells me itís the wheel bearing,
which is fine, Iíll get it replaced...but why would I all of a sudden
have a bad wheel bearing after getting my tires replaced??? The guys
at the shop said "well, sometimes the alignment or suspension gets
pulled out of place when you lift the car, and thatís why youíre
hearing it now..." Is this true? Or are these guys just people I
should avoid taking my car to in the future??? Thanks...I was just
curious.

--
Posted using the http://www.autoforumz.com interface, at author's request
Articles individually checked for conformance to usenet standards
Topic URL: http://www.autoforumz.com/Ford-Mecur...ict134795.html
Visit Topic URL to contact author (reg. req'd). Report abuse: http://www.autoforumz.com/eform.php?p=654651
  Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 08-23-2005, 20:01   #2 (permalink)
Backyard Mechanic
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Ford Contour Wheel Bearing???

katheek77 <UseLinkToEmail@AutoForumz.com> wrote in news:1_654651_
56ccb622add0bae54e8b7d3057b6f279@autoforumz.com:

> I just had all four of my tires replaced...as soon as I drove away, I
> noticed a "clacking" sound...kind of like putting a straw in the
> spokes of your bike tire...(Iím very paranoid about my car, so I KNOW
> it wasnít making this sound before hand). I only hear it when I go
> forward or turn right, not back or left. Itís also a lot less
> noticable, or even disappears, after the carís been driven for about
> fifteen minutes or so. Everyone tells me itís the wheel bearing,
> which is fine, Iíll get it replaced...but why would I all of a sudden
> have a bad wheel bearing after getting my tires replaced??? The guys
> at the shop said "well, sometimes the alignment or suspension gets
> pulled out of place when you lift the car, and thatís why youíre
> hearing it now..." Is this true? Or are these guys just people I
> should avoid taking my car to in the future??? Thanks...I was just
> curious.
>


We dont know... we're nothing but dumb hick newsgroup users at
alt.autos.ford... have NO IDEA how your post on that "ExPERTS ONLY
WEBSITE" got here.

But if everyone tells you it's the wheel bearing, i suppose it is...

Seems to me, any trouble that rears its head has to start sometime. And
that would be a good time for it to start.. just a litlle out of the
ordinary stress.
  Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2005, 18:01   #3 (permalink)
nospam.clare.nce@sny.der.on.ca
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Ford Contour Wheel Bearing???

On Wed, 24 Aug 2005 01:31:08 GMT, Backyard Mechanic
<pettyfog@yaywho.com> wrote:

>katheek77 <UseLinkToEmail@AutoForumz.com> wrote in news:1_654651_
>56ccb622add0bae54e8b7d3057b6f279@autoforumz.com:
>
>> I just had all four of my tires replaced...as soon as I drove away, I
>> noticed a "clacking" sound...kind of like putting a straw in the
>> spokes of your bike tire...(Iím very paranoid about my car, so I KNOW
>> it wasnít making this sound before hand). I only hear it when I go
>> forward or turn right, not back or left. Itís also a lot less
>> noticable, or even disappears, after the carís been driven for about
>> fifteen minutes or so. Everyone tells me itís the wheel bearing,
>> which is fine, Iíll get it replaced...but why would I all of a sudden
>> have a bad wheel bearing after getting my tires replaced??? The guys
>> at the shop said "well, sometimes the alignment or suspension gets
>> pulled out of place when you lift the car, and thatís why youíre
>> hearing it now..." Is this true? Or are these guys just people I
>> should avoid taking my car to in the future??? Thanks...I was just
>> curious.
>>

>
>We dont know... we're nothing but dumb hick newsgroup users at
>alt.autos.ford... have NO IDEA how your post on that "ExPERTS ONLY
>WEBSITE" got here.
>
>But if everyone tells you it's the wheel bearing, i suppose it is...
>
>Seems to me, any trouble that rears its head has to start sometime. And
>that would be a good time for it to start.. just a litlle out of the
>ordinary stress.


Mags ore wheel covers?
If wheel covers, remove and try again. Many a time wheelcovers will
make a ticking noise under certain conditions. If the noise goes away,
carefully reinstall one at a time and see if and when the noise
returns.

  Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2005, 21:01   #4 (permalink)
Space Ace
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Ford Contour Wheel Bearing???

If you haven't travelled far, and it still "clacks," there's an odd chance
one of the balancing weights is rattling around in your wheel. Sometimes the
tire shop doesn't fasten them correctly, and they come loose. This just
happened to me again yesterday, as a matter of fact.


"Backyard Mechanic" <pettyfog@yaywho.com> wrote in message
news:Xns96BBDBA952D28pettyfogery@207.115.63.158...
> katheek77 <UseLinkToEmail@AutoForumz.com> wrote in news:1_654651_
> 56ccb622add0bae54e8b7d3057b6f279@autoforumz.com:
>
>> I just had all four of my tires replaced...as soon as I drove away, I
>> noticed a "clacking" sound...kind of like putting a straw in the
>> spokes of your bike tire...(I'm very paranoid about my car, so I KNOW
>> it wasn't making this sound before hand). I only hear it when I go
>> forward or turn right, not back or left. It's also a lot less
>> noticable, or even disappears, after the car's been driven for about
>> fifteen minutes or so. Everyone tells me it's the wheel bearing,
>> which is fine, I'll get it replaced...but why would I all of a sudden
>> have a bad wheel bearing after getting my tires replaced??? The guys
>> at the shop said "well, sometimes the alignment or suspension gets
>> pulled out of place when you lift the car, and that's why you're
>> hearing it now..." Is this true? Or are these guys just people I
>> should avoid taking my car to in the future??? Thanks...I was just
>> curious.
>>

>
> We dont know... we're nothing but dumb hick newsgroup users at
> alt.autos.ford... have NO IDEA how your post on that "ExPERTS ONLY
> WEBSITE" got here.
>
> But if everyone tells you it's the wheel bearing, i suppose it is...
>
> Seems to me, any trouble that rears its head has to start sometime. And
> that would be a good time for it to start.. just a litlle out of the
> ordinary stress.



  Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2005, 07:01   #5 (permalink)
Jeff
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Ford Contour Wheel Bearing???


"Space Ace" <hawk106@verizon.net> wrote in message
news:6p9Pe.3252$SW1.569@trndny09...
> If you haven't travelled far, and it still "clacks," there's an odd chance
> one of the balancing weights is rattling around in your wheel. Sometimes
> the tire shop doesn't fasten them correctly, and they come loose. This
> just happened to me again yesterday, as a matter of fact.


You can also have a lugnut that came off that does this as well.

Jeff

> "Backyard Mechanic" <pettyfog@yaywho.com> wrote in message
> news:Xns96BBDBA952D28pettyfogery@207.115.63.158...
>> katheek77 <UseLinkToEmail@AutoForumz.com> wrote in news:1_654651_
>> 56ccb622add0bae54e8b7d3057b6f279@autoforumz.com:
>>
>>> I just had all four of my tires replaced...as soon as I drove away, I
>>> noticed a "clacking" sound...kind of like putting a straw in the
>>> spokes of your bike tire...(I'm very paranoid about my car, so I KNOW
>>> it wasn't making this sound before hand). I only hear it when I go
>>> forward or turn right, not back or left. It's also a lot less
>>> noticable, or even disappears, after the car's been driven for about
>>> fifteen minutes or so. Everyone tells me it's the wheel bearing,
>>> which is fine, I'll get it replaced...but why would I all of a sudden
>>> have a bad wheel bearing after getting my tires replaced??? The guys
>>> at the shop said "well, sometimes the alignment or suspension gets
>>> pulled out of place when you lift the car, and that's why you're
>>> hearing it now..." Is this true? Or are these guys just people I
>>> should avoid taking my car to in the future??? Thanks...I was just
>>> curious.
>>>

>>
>> We dont know... we're nothing but dumb hick newsgroup users at
>> alt.autos.ford... have NO IDEA how your post on that "ExPERTS ONLY
>> WEBSITE" got here.
>>
>> But if everyone tells you it's the wheel bearing, i suppose it is...
>>
>> Seems to me, any trouble that rears its head has to start sometime. And
>> that would be a good time for it to start.. just a litlle out of the
>> ordinary stress.

>
>



  Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

  Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Fordforums Community > USENET NewsGroups > alt.autos.ford



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are Off
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.2

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 08:27.



Powered by vBulletin® Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0
Garage Plus vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.