Ford Sierra 1.8 CVH (ESC Hybrid) misfire under high load, low revs. - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
» Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Fordforums Community > USENET NewsGroups > alt.autos.ford
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-08-2005, 11:02   #1 (permalink)
Swinster
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Ford Sierra 1.8 CVH (ESC Hybrid) misfire under high load, low revs.

Hi,

This problem has been bugging me for ages. I have a 1.8 CVH that
exhibits a misfire problem and high load conditions at low revs. (E,g
pulling up a steep hill in second, or even just flooring it in third
with the engine at about 1500 rpm). It's like the advance is way off -
but of course there is no manual adjustment of the advance. Releaseing
the throttle and reapplying sometimes clears the problem and when she
picks up she flys (as best a 1.8 CVH can fly!)

I have bypased the fuel seperator, chnaged the ECS module and crank
sensor (albiet with second hand parts), checked it over on some
crypton tunning kit (which checks out fine), even changed the fuel
pump push rod.

Anyone have any ideas?

The car has inetermitantly died on us a few time in the past as though
all electrics went, only to be able to start some 10 minutes later,
but this hasn't happened for a while - possibly through one on the
changes mentioned above.
  Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 04-08-2005, 11:02   #2 (permalink)
Carl Bowman
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Ford Sierra 1.8 CVH (ESC Hybrid) misfire under high load, low revs.

"Swinster" <swin@fab-sas.co.uk> wrote in message
news:56a81752.0504080838.23ecff75@posting.google.com...
> This problem has been bugging me for ages. I have a 1.8 CVH that
> exhibits a misfire problem and high load conditions at low revs. (E,g
> pulling up a steep hill in second, or even just flooring it in third
> with the engine at about 1500 rpm).


> Anyone have any ideas?


Could be an earth fault. The symptoms below sound very similar to those I
had on a Cavalier with a corroded engine earth strap, which got gradually
worse before eventually dying (on a cold wet day of course).

> The car has inetermitantly died on us a few time in the past as though
> all electrics went, only to be able to start some 10 minutes later,
> but this hasn't happened for a while - possibly through one on the
> changes mentioned above.



  Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2005, 13:01   #3 (permalink)
Pete Smith
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Ford Sierra 1.8 CVH (ESC Hybrid) misfire under high load, low revs.

In article <56a81752.0504080838.23ecff75@posting.google.com>, swin@fab-
sas.co.uk says...
> Hi,
>
> This problem has been bugging me for ages. I have a 1.8 CVH that
> exhibits a misfire problem and high load conditions at low revs. (E,g
> pulling up a steep hill in second, or even just flooring it in third
> with the engine at about 1500 rpm). It's like the advance is way off -
> but of course there is no manual adjustment of the advance. Releaseing
> the throttle and reapplying sometimes clears the problem and when she
> picks up she flys (as best a 1.8 CVH can fly!)
>
> I have bypased the fuel seperator, chnaged the ECS module and crank
> sensor (albiet with second hand parts), checked it over on some
> crypton tunning kit (which checks out fine), even changed the fuel
> pump push rod.
>
> Anyone have any ideas?


Sounds like the problem 2.0 Mondeos have, which is a misfire (normally at
high revs) under load.

New plugs, leads, and plug gap less than the recommended gap solved it.

HTH

Pete.
  Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2005, 00:01   #4 (permalink)
SteveB
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Ford Sierra 1.8 CVH (ESC Hybrid) misfire under high load, low revs.

"Pete Smith" <pete_news@lethe.org.uk> wrote in message
news:MPG.1cc0e3b4280e5aad9896a0@usenet.plus.net...
> In article <56a81752.0504080838.23ecff75@posting.google.com>, swin@fab-
> sas.co.uk says...
>> Hi,
>>
>> This problem has been bugging me for ages. I have a 1.8 CVH that
>> exhibits a misfire problem and high load conditions at low revs. (E,g
>> pulling up a steep hill in second, or even just flooring it in third
>> with the engine at about 1500 rpm). It's like the advance is way off -
>> but of course there is no manual adjustment of the advance. Releaseing
>> the throttle and reapplying sometimes clears the problem and when she
>> picks up she flys (as best a 1.8 CVH can fly!)
>>
>> I have bypased the fuel seperator, chnaged the ECS module and crank
>> sensor (albiet with second hand parts), checked it over on some
>> crypton tunning kit (which checks out fine), even changed the fuel
>> pump push rod.
>>
>> Anyone have any ideas?

>
> Sounds like the problem 2.0 Mondeos have, which is a misfire (normally at
> high revs) under load.
>
> New plugs, leads, and plug gap less than the recommended gap solved it.
>
> HTH
>
> Pete.


It's the classic symptoms of a weak spark so I would tend to agree. If not,
then ignition coil.


  Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2005, 06:01   #5 (permalink)
Swinster
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Ford Sierra 1.8 CVH (ESC Hybrid) misfire under high load, low revs.

Well, the consensus for here and other forums was that this is an HT
fault, so even though I thought the HT had been looked at sometime ago
by our garage, I toodled off down this road.

I flipped off the distributor cap and there were some hefty build-ups
on the contacts so I scrapped these off and cleaned them with a bit of
fine sand paper and did the same for the rotor arm. No joy, in fact it
seemed to make things worse!

So I went off an bought a new rotor arm and dizzy cap and installed,
but only after making the basic mistake of pulling all the leads off
and not remembering the firing order or rotor arm rotation (moppet).
After this was looked up a a local garage opposite the motor factor's
we back in business, but still with a misfire.

Therefore, that leaves plugs, leads and coil. I was sure that the
leads were replaced by our garage but even so, I had limited tools
with me to thought that that would be the next move. One set of leads
latter (this time carefully replaced one at a time!) and bingo no
more misfire.

It just goes to show that servicing does not always pay to be done a
garage! Thanks for every one who suggested HT side of things. At least
it has saved me the cost of an diagnosis at the Ford dealers next
week.

"SteveB" <sbrads@nildramDOTcoDOTuk> wrote in message news:<paadnfjsKYE-5crfRVn-oQ@pipex.net>...
> "Pete Smith" <pete_news@lethe.org.uk> wrote in message
> news:MPG.1cc0e3b4280e5aad9896a0@usenet.plus.net...
> > In article <56a81752.0504080838.23ecff75@posting.google.com>, swin@fab-
> > sas.co.uk says...
> >> Hi,
> >>
> >> This problem has been bugging me for ages. I have a 1.8 CVH that
> >> exhibits a misfire problem and high load conditions at low revs. (E,g
> >> pulling up a steep hill in second, or even just flooring it in third
> >> with the engine at about 1500 rpm). It's like the advance is way off -
> >> but of course there is no manual adjustment of the advance. Releaseing
> >> the throttle and reapplying sometimes clears the problem and when she
> >> picks up she flys (as best a 1.8 CVH can fly!)
> >>
> >> I have bypased the fuel seperator, chnaged the ECS module and crank
> >> sensor (albiet with second hand parts), checked it over on some
> >> crypton tunning kit (which checks out fine), even changed the fuel
> >> pump push rod.
> >>
> >> Anyone have any ideas?

> >
> > Sounds like the problem 2.0 Mondeos have, which is a misfire (normally at
> > high revs) under load.
> >
> > New plugs, leads, and plug gap less than the recommended gap solved it.
> >
> > HTH
> >
> > Pete.

>
> It's the classic symptoms of a weak spark so I would tend to agree. If not,
> then ignition coil.

  Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

  Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Fordforums Community > USENET NewsGroups > alt.autos.ford



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are Off
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.2

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 21:04.



Powered by vBulletin® Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0
Garage Plus vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.