HID lights or similar - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Fordforums Community > USENET NewsGroups > alt.autos.ford
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-13-2005, 16:01   #1 (permalink)
SHAWN
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
HID lights or similar

Hiya again! I have a another tech question.

Has anybody put those nice bright HID lights or similar on an older vehicle?
If so how hard is it to do?
The lights on my 1978 Ford Fairmont realllly suck. Would it be cheaper to
just get external ones? I dont mind drilling or making brackets. Thanks!

Shawn
1978 Ford Fairmont, I-6 200.


  Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 03-13-2005, 16:01   #2 (permalink)
tom
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: HID lights or similar

look on ebay. i believe the companys mane is prostreet lighting. they carry
a full line of zenon lights for all kinds of older cars
"SHAWN" <futurefitness@cox.net> wrote in message
news:Ht3Zd.20742$KK5.18861@fed1read03...
> Hiya again! I have a another tech question.
>
> Has anybody put those nice bright HID lights or similar on an older

vehicle?
> If so how hard is it to do?
> The lights on my 1978 Ford Fairmont realllly suck. Would it be cheaper to
> just get external ones? I dont mind drilling or making brackets. Thanks!
>
> Shawn
> 1978 Ford Fairmont, I-6 200.
>
>



  Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2005, 16:01   #3 (permalink)
Robert Sveinson
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: HID lights or similar


Hella sell XID lamps, and as far as I could see,
you could convert your existing lights to XID!

Google HELLA!



"SHAWN" <futurefitness@cox.net> wrote in message
news:Ht3Zd.20742$KK5.18861@fed1read03...
> Hiya again! I have a another tech question.
>
> Has anybody put those nice bright HID lights or similar on an older

vehicle?
> If so how hard is it to do?
> The lights on my 1978 Ford Fairmont realllly suck. Would it be cheaper to
> just get external ones? I dont mind drilling or making brackets. Thanks!
>
> Shawn
> 1978 Ford Fairmont, I-6 200.
>
>



  Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2005, 16:01   #4 (permalink)
Sharon K.Cooke
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: HID lights or similar


SHAWN wrote:
>
> Hiya again! I have a another tech question.
>
> Has anybody put those nice bright HID lights or similar on an older vehicle?
> If so how hard is it to do?
> The lights on my 1978 Ford Fairmont realllly suck. Would it be cheaper to
> just get external ones? I dont mind drilling or making brackets. Thanks!
>
> Shawn
> 1978 Ford Fairmont, I-6 200.


Sylvania makes actual street-legal HID lighting for your vehicle. The
stuff on eBay is from "sharpies" trying to make a quick buck; illegal
for highway lighting, and possibly dangerous, due to the high voltages
involved.
  Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2005, 06:01   #5 (permalink)
tom
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: HID lights or similar

the lights from prostreet lighting uses 12 volts, not "high voltage" , and
are D.O.T. legal
"Sharon K.Cooke" <scooke@cox.net> wrote in message
news:4234D05D.987DDC44@cox.net...
>
> SHAWN wrote:
> >
> > Hiya again! I have a another tech question.
> >
> > Has anybody put those nice bright HID lights or similar on an older

vehicle?
> > If so how hard is it to do?
> > The lights on my 1978 Ford Fairmont realllly suck. Would it be cheaper

to
> > just get external ones? I dont mind drilling or making brackets.

Thanks!
> >
> > Shawn
> > 1978 Ford Fairmont, I-6 200.

>
> Sylvania makes actual street-legal HID lighting for your vehicle. The
> stuff on eBay is from "sharpies" trying to make a quick buck; illegal
> for highway lighting, and possibly dangerous, due to the high voltages
> involved.



  Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2005, 06:01   #6 (permalink)
Sharon K.Cooke
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: HID lights or similar

Also not true HID, which is what the author of the original thread was
researching. I don't understand why people want to use the blue-tinted
bulbs; less available light, non-compliant light patterns, run hotter,
burn out faster than stock clear bulbs, and annoy (possibly endanger)
oncoming drivers. AND, they don't even LOOK like true HID, which (I
suppose) was the original idea. If those bulbs have DOT stamped on them
and are not (quite likely) DOT-compliant, the seller can be liable for
an up to $10K fine for each occurrence of said sales. I have reported
the mentioned Site you named to NHTSA for investigation of its
merchandise.

tom wrote:
>
> the lights from prostreet lighting uses 12 volts, not "high voltage" , and
> are D.O.T. legal
> "Sharon K.Cooke" <scooke@cox.net> wrote in message
> news:4234D05D.987DDC44@cox.net...
> >
> > SHAWN wrote:
> > >
> > > Hiya again! I have a another tech question.
> > >
> > > Has anybody put those nice bright HID lights or similar on an older

> vehicle?
> > > If so how hard is it to do?
> > > The lights on my 1978 Ford Fairmont realllly suck. Would it be cheaper

> to
> > > just get external ones? I dont mind drilling or making brackets.

> Thanks!
> > >
> > > Shawn
> > > 1978 Ford Fairmont, I-6 200.

> >
> > Sylvania makes actual street-legal HID lighting for your vehicle. The
> > stuff on eBay is from "sharpies" trying to make a quick buck; illegal
> > for highway lighting, and possibly dangerous, due to the high voltages
> > involved.

  Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

  Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Fordforums Community > USENET NewsGroups > alt.autos.ford



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are Off
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
EF Brake Lights Not Working ColinMelbourne Suspension | Wheels&Tires | Brakes 2 05-22-2004 12:33
Driving lights no more flow_aus Australian Falcons 13 10-09-2003 13:50
resetting error lights JoeHunter General Tech 0 09-11-2003 14:26
Black tail lights Con General Tech 23 06-07-2003 06:29
Fog lights.. KezzaXR6 The Pub 20 05-21-2003 05:40

Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.2

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 23:02.



Powered by vBulletin® Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0
Garage Plus vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.