Mark VIII - avoid or buy? - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Fordforums Community > USENET NewsGroups > alt.autos.ford
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-29-2005, 16:01   #1 (permalink)
Space Ace
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Mark VIII - avoid or buy?

Hello from a newbie. If you would, offer an opinion, please.
I currently drive a '93 T-bird, 5.0, taken over from my girlfriend. It's in
fair shape, 123k miles, but not previously well-maintained and needing a lot
of suspension work ($700 for struts, bushings, etc from much neglect). I
recently sold my other 2 vehicles, and have some money to spend, but don't
want to waste it on a junker or lemon. I also live in NYC, and because of
the roads, would really prefer a rear-drive car. I'm seriously considering a
Lincoln Mark VIII, because I've always liked the looks of that car.
So...
Is this a trouble-prone car? Is the air-ride a real hassle? Are there any
model years I should specifically avoid? Is it an even worse idea than
spending money on my Thunderbird? Any information would be greatly
appreciated.


  Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 07-29-2005, 18:01   #2 (permalink)
paper
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Mark VIII - avoid or buy?

Not sure on the specifics, but I think that a car's a car and if you like it
then go for it! From '93, all that really matters is how well they took
care of it...it sounds like it needs suspension work, but that may just be a
trouble spot which new steel may remedy. As for the powertrain, if you
think it's okay, it just might be...if you're worried most auto shops have
equipment which can test all that stuff.

I just think that anything man-made can break, so as long as you like it,
then it's perfect!

Good luck!

"Space Ace" <hawk106@verizon.net> wrote in message
news:wZxGe.40$b91.10@trndny06...
> Hello from a newbie. If you would, offer an opinion, please.
> I currently drive a '93 T-bird, 5.0, taken over from my girlfriend. It's

in
> fair shape, 123k miles, but not previously well-maintained and needing a

lot
> of suspension work ($700 for struts, bushings, etc from much neglect). I
> recently sold my other 2 vehicles, and have some money to spend, but don't
> want to waste it on a junker or lemon. I also live in NYC, and because of
> the roads, would really prefer a rear-drive car. I'm seriously considering

a
> Lincoln Mark VIII, because I've always liked the looks of that car.
> So...
> Is this a trouble-prone car? Is the air-ride a real hassle? Are there any
> model years I should specifically avoid? Is it an even worse idea than
> spending money on my Thunderbird? Any information would be greatly
> appreciated.
>
>



  Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2005, 01:01   #3 (permalink)
Wendy & John
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Mark VIII - avoid or buy?

"Space Ace" wrote:

I drive a '93 T-bird, 5.0, 123k miles, needs $700 of suspension work.
I'm considering a Lincoln Mark VIII, because I've always liked its looks
and I prefer RWD. Is this car trouble-prone? Is the air-ride a real
hassle? Are there any model years I should specifically avoid? Is it
an even worse idea than spending money on my Thunderbird?
______________________________________

A great source of information for the Mark is: www.lincolnsonline.com
There are technical articles, links to Lincoln resources, and forums
where posters openly discuss problem areas and their solutions.

The T-bird and the Mark are both great personal luxury cars. A love
for these cars and a willingness to repair and maintain vehicles of their
generation permit the freedom to choose either.

Good luck.

Wendy & John.
________________________________________









  Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2005, 16:01   #4 (permalink)
Space Ace
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Mark VIII - avoid or buy?

Thanks to all who replied.
I just don't want to jump in with both feet, and 3 months from now have a
car that's too trouble-prone and bankrupts me. I drive recreationally (take
the subway to work), but like most people, when I get in the car, I want to
feel confident in it. I'm still looking for a good deal, so I'll probably
put enough into the T-bird to keep it safely rolling for now, and keep
looking for a 96-98 Mark (prefer the HID headlights and neon tail light).
I've read everything I could find on the Mark VIII, since I don't know
anyone whose had one, and don't trust NY mechanics to answer honestly and
knowlegably.

"Wendy & John" <ardanswj@kilobar.net> wrote in message
news:1dGGe.105$4e6.14@trnddc04...
> "Space Ace" wrote:
>
> I drive a '93 T-bird, 5.0, 123k miles, needs $700 of suspension work.
> I'm considering a Lincoln Mark VIII, because I've always liked its looks
> and I prefer RWD. Is this car trouble-prone? Is the air-ride a real
> hassle? Are there any model years I should specifically avoid? Is it
> an even worse idea than spending money on my Thunderbird?
> ______________________________________
>
> A great source of information for the Mark is: www.lincolnsonline.com
> There are technical articles, links to Lincoln resources, and forums
> where posters openly discuss problem areas and their solutions.
>
> The T-bird and the Mark are both great personal luxury cars. A love
> for these cars and a willingness to repair and maintain vehicles of their
> generation permit the freedom to choose either.
>
> Good luck.
>
> Wendy & John.
> ________________________________________
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>



  Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2005, 16:01   #5 (permalink)
Space Ace
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Mark VIII - avoid or buy?

I've gotta disagree, not all cars are created equal. Some models and
powertrains are much more durable and reliable than others.
Personally, the best car I've ever owned was an '87 T-bird, 3.8 V6. It went
to 263,000 miles (hassle-free except rebuilt tranny at 125k) before some
dope on her cell phone rear ended me at 50 mph. It was still running after
the collision.
It's that car that made me a fan of the T-bird/Cougar/Mark family of Fords.


"paper" <me@here.com> wrote in message
news:11elg3je3bfkebb@corp.supernews.com...
> Not sure on the specifics, but I think that a car's a car and if you like
> it
> then go for it! From '93, all that really matters is how well they took
> care of it...it sounds like it needs suspension work, but that may just be
> a
> trouble spot which new steel may remedy. As for the powertrain, if you
> think it's okay, it just might be...if you're worried most auto shops have
> equipment which can test all that stuff.
>
> I just think that anything man-made can break, so as long as you like it,
> then it's perfect!
>
> Good luck!
>
> "Space Ace" <hawk106@verizon.net> wrote in message
> news:wZxGe.40$b91.10@trndny06...
>> Hello from a newbie. If you would, offer an opinion, please.
>> I currently drive a '93 T-bird, 5.0, taken over from my girlfriend. It's

> in
>> fair shape, 123k miles, but not previously well-maintained and needing a

> lot
>> of suspension work ($700 for struts, bushings, etc from much neglect). I
>> recently sold my other 2 vehicles, and have some money to spend, but
>> don't
>> want to waste it on a junker or lemon. I also live in NYC, and because of
>> the roads, would really prefer a rear-drive car. I'm seriously
>> considering

> a
>> Lincoln Mark VIII, because I've always liked the looks of that car.
>> So...
>> Is this a trouble-prone car? Is the air-ride a real hassle? Are there any
>> model years I should specifically avoid? Is it an even worse idea than
>> spending money on my Thunderbird? Any information would be greatly
>> appreciated.
>>
>>

>
>



  Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2005, 05:01   #6 (permalink)
Tom Adkins
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Mark VIII - avoid or buy?

Space Ace wrote:
> Thanks to all who replied.
> I just don't want to jump in with both feet, and 3 months from now have a
> car that's too trouble-prone and bankrupts me. I drive recreationally (take
> the subway to work), but like most people, when I get in the car, I want to
> feel confident in it. I'm still looking for a good deal, so I'll probably
> put enough into the T-bird to keep it safely rolling for now, and keep
> looking for a 96-98 Mark (prefer the HID headlights and neon tail light).
> I've read everything I could find on the Mark VIII, since I don't know
> anyone whose had one, and don't trust NY mechanics to answer honestly and
> knowlegably.
>


Hey Space,
Check out www.lincolnsonline.com There is a Mark VIII forum that can help you out.
The VII is a nice car but it's getting a bit dated. Very cool for it's time, and if
you find a nice one well, it is a great car.
  Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2005, 22:01   #7 (permalink)
swiftwinger
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Mark VIII - avoid or buy?

i have a 93 Mk 8. It has been a good car but I spent 2000 big ones on the
front susp. 3 yrs. ago and the back is bad now. strutmasters.com has a
retro kit to do away with the air susp.

  Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

  Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Fordforums Community > USENET NewsGroups > alt.autos.ford



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are Off
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.2

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 16:54.



Powered by vBulletin® Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0
Garage Plus vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.