Mark VIII nickels n' dimes - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Fordforums Community > USENET NewsGroups > alt.autos.ford
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-23-2005, 19:01   #1 (permalink)
Space Ace
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Mark VIII nickels n' dimes

I just bought a '97 Mark. I paid considerably less than book value, and the
car seems mechanically tight (it will need a repaint, though-crappy,
sun-faded Ford black paint). However, there are a few minor bugs. Any
insight would be appreciated.

1) Neon tail light is out. I've ordered a clean, tested replacement from a
salvage guy, and I've read a site explaining how to swap it out. But still,
don't neon lights last an awfully long time? Could it be a fuse? It's not a
safety concern, but I'd obviously prefer it to work.

2) The trunk release button doesn't work. Considering how many more complex
electronic toys that could fail in a car like this, this is another mystery
to me. Again, could this be something as simple as a fuse?

I haven't had a chance to examine this car very closely, so please excuse my
ignorance.
Air suspension is good, the car has 82k miles. It's frigging fast, too!


  Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 08-23-2005, 20:01   #2 (permalink)
Backyard Mechanic
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Mark VIII nickels n' dimes

Well, congrats... at least you asked on the newsgroup.. one of the few.

The answer to both your comments is:

"But the hard part is getting it from here to there"

MEaning, they still use wires, wires get broken.

As to the tail lamp, I had no idea they used neons in there..thought
everyone went from incandescent to LED!
but the answer's the same... so what if there arent filaments, there are
still wires or copper traces that do break from time to time.

And you didnt get a remote with it?

I'd buy a simple test light if i were you. Check around the switch
area.. may have gotten disconnected during service... if the prev owner
had a fob, he probably never used that switch.

"Space Ace" <hawk106@verizon.net> wrote in
news:IOPOe.3814$Ck2.1445@trndny04:

> I just bought a '97 Mark. I paid considerably less than book value,
> and the car seems mechanically tight (it will need a repaint,
> though-crappy, sun-faded Ford black paint). However, there are a few
> minor bugs. Any insight would be appreciated.
>
> 1) Neon tail light is out. I've ordered a clean, tested replacement
> from a salvage guy, and I've read a site explaining how to swap it
> out. But still, don't neon lights last an awfully long time? Could it
> be a fuse? It's not a safety concern, but I'd obviously prefer it to
> work.
>
> 2) The trunk release button doesn't work. Considering how many more
> complex electronic toys that could fail in a car like this, this is
> another mystery to me. Again, could this be something as simple as a
> fuse?
>
> I haven't had a chance to examine this car very closely, so please
> excuse my ignorance.
> Air suspension is good, the car has 82k miles. It's frigging fast,
> too!
>
>


  Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2005, 21:01   #3 (permalink)
Sharon K.Cooke
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Mark VIII nickels n' dimes

Space Ace wrote:
>
> I just bought a '97 Mark. I paid considerably less than book value, and the
> car seems mechanically tight (it will need a repaint, though-crappy,
> sun-faded Ford black paint). However, there are a few minor bugs. Any
> insight would be appreciated.
>
> 1) Neon tail light is out. I've ordered a clean, tested replacement from a
> salvage guy, and I've read a site explaining how to swap it out. But still,
> don't neon lights last an awfully long time? Could it be a fuse? It's not a
> safety concern, but I'd obviously prefer it to work.
>
> 2) The trunk release button doesn't work. Considering how many more complex
> electronic toys that could fail in a car like this, this is another mystery
> to me. Again, could this be something as simple as a fuse?
>
> I haven't had a chance to examine this car very closely, so please excuse my
> ignorance.
> Air suspension is good, the car has 82k miles. It's frigging fast, too!


Join:
www.markviii.org
  Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2005, 14:01   #4 (permalink)
SC Tom
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Mark VIII nickels n' dimes

If you plan on keeping it for a while, it might be worth investing in a set
of shop manuals for it, even if it's just Chilton's or Haynes.
SC Tom

"Space Ace" <hawk106@verizon.net> wrote in message
news:IOPOe.3814$Ck2.1445@trndny04...
>I just bought a '97 Mark. I paid considerably less than book value, and the
>car seems mechanically tight (it will need a repaint, though-crappy,
>sun-faded Ford black paint). However, there are a few minor bugs. Any
>insight would be appreciated.
>
> 1) Neon tail light is out. I've ordered a clean, tested replacement from a
> salvage guy, and I've read a site explaining how to swap it out. But
> still, don't neon lights last an awfully long time? Could it be a fuse?
> It's not a safety concern, but I'd obviously prefer it to work.
>
> 2) The trunk release button doesn't work. Considering how many more
> complex electronic toys that could fail in a car like this, this is
> another mystery to me. Again, could this be something as simple as a fuse?
>
> I haven't had a chance to examine this car very closely, so please excuse
> my ignorance.
> Air suspension is good, the car has 82k miles. It's frigging fast, too!
>



  Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2005, 19:01   #5 (permalink)
Space Ace
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Mark VIII nickels n' dimes

I definitely plan to get one a.s.a.p. I get the feeling there won't be too
many things I'll be able to do myself with this car, but I always like to
have one just for the sake of keeping mechanics honest.
I used to be more adventurous when my cars were simpler and I had more free
time.


"SC Tom" <SC@Tom.com> wrote in message news:WJ4Pe.10913$1g2.7740@fe05.lga...
> If you plan on keeping it for a while, it might be worth investing in a
> set of shop manuals for it, even if it's just Chilton's or Haynes.
> SC Tom
>
> "Space Ace" <hawk106@verizon.net> wrote in message
> news:IOPOe.3814$Ck2.1445@trndny04...
>>I just bought a '97 Mark. I paid considerably less than book value, and
>>the car seems mechanically tight (it will need a repaint, though-crappy,
>>sun-faded Ford black paint). However, there are a few minor bugs. Any
>>insight would be appreciated.
>>
>> 1) Neon tail light is out. I've ordered a clean, tested replacement from
>> a salvage guy, and I've read a site explaining how to swap it out. But
>> still, don't neon lights last an awfully long time? Could it be a fuse?
>> It's not a safety concern, but I'd obviously prefer it to work.
>>
>> 2) The trunk release button doesn't work. Considering how many more
>> complex electronic toys that could fail in a car like this, this is
>> another mystery to me. Again, could this be something as simple as a
>> fuse?
>>
>> I haven't had a chance to examine this car very closely, so please excuse
>> my ignorance.
>> Air suspension is good, the car has 82k miles. It's frigging fast, too!
>>

>
>



  Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2005, 20:01   #6 (permalink)
Space Ace
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Mark VIII nickels n' dimes

Thanks, Backyard. That's a good common sense idea. I've always found the car
groups to be a good source of information. I even try to help others with
whatever little info I can.
No, I didn't get a remote with it (just bought one on Ebay). The lot I
bought the car from was out of Bizarro World. They sold only cars donated to
a children's charity. The salesmen had their dogs roaming the offices, and
to say they didn't hard-sell would be an understatement. The car wasn't even
washed. Still, Carfax checked out, and the car seems a-ok aside from what
I've mentioned.


"Backyard Mechanic" <pettyfog@yaywho.com> wrote in message
news:Xns96BBE0474C546pettyfogery@207.115.63.158...
> Well, congrats... at least you asked on the newsgroup.. one of the few.
>
> The answer to both your comments is:
>
> "But the hard part is getting it from here to there"
>
> MEaning, they still use wires, wires get broken.
>
> As to the tail lamp, I had no idea they used neons in there..thought
> everyone went from incandescent to LED!
> but the answer's the same... so what if there arent filaments, there are
> still wires or copper traces that do break from time to time.
>
> And you didnt get a remote with it?
>
> I'd buy a simple test light if i were you. Check around the switch
> area.. may have gotten disconnected during service... if the prev owner
> had a fob, he probably never used that switch.
>
> "Space Ace" <hawk106@verizon.net> wrote in
> news:IOPOe.3814$Ck2.1445@trndny04:
>
>> I just bought a '97 Mark. I paid considerably less than book value,
>> and the car seems mechanically tight (it will need a repaint,
>> though-crappy, sun-faded Ford black paint). However, there are a few
>> minor bugs. Any insight would be appreciated.
>>
>> 1) Neon tail light is out. I've ordered a clean, tested replacement
>> from a salvage guy, and I've read a site explaining how to swap it
>> out. But still, don't neon lights last an awfully long time? Could it
>> be a fuse? It's not a safety concern, but I'd obviously prefer it to
>> work.
>>
>> 2) The trunk release button doesn't work. Considering how many more
>> complex electronic toys that could fail in a car like this, this is
>> another mystery to me. Again, could this be something as simple as a
>> fuse?
>>
>> I haven't had a chance to examine this car very closely, so please
>> excuse my ignorance.
>> Air suspension is good, the car has 82k miles. It's frigging fast,
>> too!
>>
>>

>



  Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2005, 08:01   #7 (permalink)
Paul of Dayton
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Mark VIII nickels n' dimes

You may find a CD-ROM on Ebay with the real Ford manual for cheap. I got
one a couple of years ago even tho I had bought the paper one from Helm. Of
course, you might find the whole paper one there, too.

PoD



"Space Ace" <hawk106@verizon.net> wrote in message
news:g79Pe.5564$Ck2.3947@trndny04...
>I definitely plan to get one a.s.a.p. I get the feeling there won't be too
>many things I'll be able to do myself with this car, but I always like to
>have one just for the sake of keeping mechanics honest.
> I used to be more adventurous when my cars were simpler and I had more
> free time.
>
>
> "SC Tom" <SC@Tom.com> wrote in message
> news:WJ4Pe.10913$1g2.7740@fe05.lga...
>> If you plan on keeping it for a while, it might be worth investing in a
>> set of shop manuals for it, even if it's just Chilton's or Haynes.
>> SC Tom
>>
>> "Space Ace" <hawk106@verizon.net> wrote in message
>> news:IOPOe.3814$Ck2.1445@trndny04...
>>>I just bought a '97 Mark. I paid considerably less than book value, and
>>>the car seems mechanically tight (it will need a repaint, though-crappy,
>>>sun-faded Ford black paint). However, there are a few minor bugs. Any
>>>insight would be appreciated.
>>>
>>> 1) Neon tail light is out. I've ordered a clean, tested replacement from
>>> a salvage guy, and I've read a site explaining how to swap it out. But
>>> still, don't neon lights last an awfully long time? Could it be a fuse?
>>> It's not a safety concern, but I'd obviously prefer it to work.
>>>
>>> 2) The trunk release button doesn't work. Considering how many more
>>> complex electronic toys that could fail in a car like this, this is
>>> another mystery to me. Again, could this be something as simple as a
>>> fuse?
>>>
>>> I haven't had a chance to examine this car very closely, so please
>>> excuse my ignorance.
>>> Air suspension is good, the car has 82k miles. It's frigging fast, too!
>>>

>>
>>

>
>



  Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

  Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Fordforums Community > USENET NewsGroups > alt.autos.ford



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are Off
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.2

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 21:54.



Powered by vBulletin® Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0
Garage Plus vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.