Mercury Sable - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 11-26-05, 11:01 PM
Sam
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Mercury Sable

Hi Folks,
Did FOMOCO manufacture Mercury Sable along with the Ford Taurus? Both
look exactly the same.

Cheers,
Sam



 
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 11-27-05, 12:01 AM
Jim Warman
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Mercury Sable

Yes. At one time, the Mercury was a full lone of automobiles and even had a
line of llight trucks. Most of these cars were simply re-identified and
rebadged Ford products. Most recent have been cars like the Contour/Mistique
and Crown Victorua/Grand Marquis. Late 70s and early 80s saw the T-Bird and
Cougar sharing the same body shell/ powertrain.

SimilarlyDodge once shared platforms with their Plymouth division. GM is the
king of cross-marque platforming... In the early 80s, the Cadillac division
was ballsy enough to re-identify a Cavalier or similar econo-box... complete
with leather seats and wire wheel hubcaps. The Cimarron didn't last in
production for very long....


"Sam" <tiredoflogins@gmail.com> wrote in message
news:1133074408.695002.232370@z14g2000cwz.googlegroups.com...
> Hi Folks,
> Did FOMOCO manufacture Mercury Sable along with the Ford Taurus? Both
> look exactly the same.
>
> Cheers,
> Sam
>



 
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 11-27-05, 01:01 AM
trainfan1
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Mercury Sable

Jim Warman wrote:

> Yes. At one time, the Mercury was a full lone of automobiles and even had a
> line of llight trucks. Most of these cars were simply re-identified and
> rebadged Ford products. Most recent have been cars like the Contour/Mistique
> and Crown Victorua/Grand Marquis. Late 70s and early 80s saw the T-Bird and
> Cougar sharing the same body shell/ powertrain.


Comet/Fairlane, Comet/Maverick, Monarch/Granada, Bobcat/Pinto,
Montego/Torino, Zephyr/Fairmont, Topaz/Tempo, Cougar/Mustang thru 1973,
Cougar/Torino/Elite 73-76, Cougar/LTDII/T-bird 77-79, Cougar/T-Bird
80-97, Lynx/Escort, Tracer/Escort, & more... the list is extensive...

> "Sam" <tiredoflogins@gmail.com> wrote in message
> news:1133074408.695002.232370@z14g2000cwz.googlegroups.com...
>
>>Hi Folks,
>>Did FOMOCO manufacture Mercury Sable along with the Ford Taurus? Both
>>look exactly the same.
>>
>>Cheers,
>>Sam


Rob
 
post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 11-27-05, 07:01 AM
Andrew Rossmann
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Mercury Sable

In article <-ZydneH0-NI17BTeRVn-vw@usadatanet.net>,
lmsearing@usdatanet.net says...
> Jim Warman wrote:
>
> > Yes. At one time, the Mercury was a full lone of automobiles and even had a
> > line of llight trucks. Most of these cars were simply re-identified and
> > rebadged Ford products. Most recent have been cars like the Contour/Mistique
> > and Crown Victorua/Grand Marquis. Late 70s and early 80s saw the T-Bird and
> > Cougar sharing the same body shell/ powertrain.

>
> Comet/Fairlane, Comet/Maverick, Monarch/Granada, Bobcat/Pinto,
> Montego/Torino, Zephyr/Fairmont, Topaz/Tempo, Cougar/Mustang thru 1973,
> Cougar/Torino/Elite 73-76, Cougar/LTDII/T-bird 77-79, Cougar/T-Bird
> 80-97, Lynx/Escort, Tracer/Escort, & more... the list is extensive...


Not to mention the current pairings:
Montego/FiveHundred (based on Volvo S80)
Milan/Fusion (based on Mazda 6)
Mountaineer/Explorer
Monterey/FreeStar
Mariner/Escape
GrandMarquis/CrownVic

The Sable is no longer in production. The Taurus alone is being built
for fleet sales only for a few more months.

Even most Lincolns are based on Ford vehicles, although they usually
have very different suspensions and other details compared to Mercury,
which are usually little more than different grills and taillights.
Zephyr/Fusion
TownCar/CrownVic
MarkLT/F-series
Navigator/Expedition
Aviator/Explorer
LS/Jaguar S-type


--
If there is a no_junk in my address, please REMOVE it before replying!
All junk mail senders will be prosecuted to the fullest extent of the
law!!
http://home.att.net/~andyross
 
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 11-27-05, 11:01 AM
Sam
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Mercury Sable

AVIS gave me a 2005 Mercury Sable on rent. It doesnt have FOMOCO
symbols anywhere.

 
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

  Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Fordforums Community > USENET NewsGroups > alt.autos.ford


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are Off
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome