Pulsating brakes 98 Grand Marquis - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Fordforums Community > USENET NewsGroups > alt.autos.ford
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-17-2005, 17:01   #1 (permalink)
finiteguy
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Pulsating brakes 98 Grand Marquis

Not sure why, but I notice a lot of vibration in the front passesnger
side and pulsation when I brake. The rotors have never been turned or
replaced, 110,000 miles. If I replace them, will that take care of the
problem?
  Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 07-18-2005, 04:01   #2 (permalink)
Rob
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Pulsating brakes 98 Grand Marquis

finiteguy wrote:
> Not sure why, but I notice a lot of vibration in the front passesnger
> side and pulsation when I brake. The rotors have never been turned or
> replaced, 110,000 miles. If I replace them, will that take care of the
> problem?

yes
  Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2005, 04:01   #3 (permalink)
79ford
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Pulsating brakes 98 Grand Marquis

your abs is mal fuctioning. the little eye that reads the rotor speed is
either dirty or needs to be replaced. changing the rotor won't help in
this situation

  Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2005, 15:01   #4 (permalink)
Backyard Mechanic
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Pulsating brakes 98 Grand Marquis

finiteguy <finiteguy*****@verizon.net> wrote in
news:hfold19pe051rojatgbaof6v6bfn7s6jau@4ax.com:

> Not sure why, but I notice a lot of vibration in the front passesnger
> side and pulsation when I brake. The rotors have never been turned or
> replaced, 110,000 miles. If I replace them, will that take care of the
> problem?


If the problem started as slight vibe and steadily gets worse, rotors!

DO NOT TURN them... not worth the hassle. Change the pads while you are at
it... even if plenty meat left. DO NOT buy cheap pads OR 90 day guarantee
rotors.

There are also cases when the rotor is NOT actually warped, but casting or
alloy/blend imperfections causes an eventual thick spot.
  Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2005, 23:01   #5 (permalink)
finiteguy
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Pulsating brakes 98 Grand Marquis

This car doesn't have ABS. Not sure why, but it was the 98 Grand
Marquis GS and didn't come with it.



On Mon, 18 Jul 2005 01:17:19 -0400, "79ford" <jimmyhbigjim@aol.com>
wrote:

>your abs is mal fuctioning. the little eye that reads the rotor speed is
>either dirty or needs to be replaced. changing the rotor won't help in
>this situation


  Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2005, 07:01   #6 (permalink)
c palmer
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Pulsating brakes 98 Grand Marquis

check the wheel bearing assy and you will find that it has play in it.
jack the wheel off the ground and see if there is any play in the wheel
when you grab it at the 12 and 6 o'clock position and shake it for
looseness.

starting in 98, the wheel bearing assy comes as a unit and usually have
to be replaced around 100k.

i've got two CV's and at 98K both sides had to be replaced. the other
one is starting the show signs of looseness at 97K. it takes about 10
- 15 minutes to replace the whole unit. cost - 55 to 65 dollars per
side. you get the center assy and pressed in bearings are a unit.

hope this info helps.

~ curtis

knowledge is power - growing old is mandatory - growing wise is optional
"Many more men die with prostate cancer than of it. Growing old is
invariably fatal. Prostate cancer is only sometimes so."
http://community.webtv.net/PALMER_ENT/doc

  Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2005, 20:01   #7 (permalink)
finiteguy
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Pulsating brakes 98 Grand Marquis

This means that I need new wheel bears and rotors, or is the pulsating
brakes from bad wheel bearings?


This car has cost me a fortune in front end parts. Just replaced ball
joints and tie rods, and the spark plug coils are bad.

Very dissapointed in this car.


On Tue, 19 Jul 2005 02:00:52 -0500, PALMER_ENT@webtv.net (c palmer)
wrote:

>check the wheel bearing assy and you will find that it has play in it.
>jack the wheel off the ground and see if there is any play in the wheel
>when you grab it at the 12 and 6 o'clock position and shake it for
>looseness.
>
>starting in 98, the wheel bearing assy comes as a unit and usually have
>to be replaced around 100k.
>
>i've got two CV's and at 98K both sides had to be replaced. the other
>one is starting the show signs of looseness at 97K. it takes about 10
>- 15 minutes to replace the whole unit. cost - 55 to 65 dollars per
>side. you get the center assy and pressed in bearings are a unit.
>
>hope this info helps.
>
>~ curtis
>
>knowledge is power - growing old is mandatory - growing wise is optional
>"Many more men die with prostate cancer than of it. Growing old is
>invariably fatal. Prostate cancer is only sometimes so."
>http://community.webtv.net/PALMER_ENT/doc


  Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2005, 14:01   #8 (permalink)
tom
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Pulsating brakes 98 Grand Marquis

i would start with the rotors if they have 120k miles on them as you said
and not worry about the bearings now.
"finiteguy" <finiteguy*****@verizon.net> wrote in message
news:gj63e15otml766scujguqlcco33fd4qo9e@4ax.com...
> This means that I need new wheel bears and rotors, or is the pulsating
> brakes from bad wheel bearings?
>
>
> This car has cost me a fortune in front end parts. Just replaced ball
> joints and tie rods, and the spark plug coils are bad.
>
> Very dissapointed in this car.
>
>
> On Tue, 19 Jul 2005 02:00:52 -0500, PALMER_ENT@webtv.net (c palmer)
> wrote:
>
> >check the wheel bearing assy and you will find that it has play in it.
> >jack the wheel off the ground and see if there is any play in the wheel
> >when you grab it at the 12 and 6 o'clock position and shake it for
> >looseness.
> >
> >starting in 98, the wheel bearing assy comes as a unit and usually have
> >to be replaced around 100k.
> >
> >i've got two CV's and at 98K both sides had to be replaced. the other
> >one is starting the show signs of looseness at 97K. it takes about 10
> >- 15 minutes to replace the whole unit. cost - 55 to 65 dollars per
> >side. you get the center assy and pressed in bearings are a unit.
> >
> >hope this info helps.
> >
> >~ curtis
> >
> >knowledge is power - growing old is mandatory - growing wise is optional
> >"Many more men die with prostate cancer than of it. Growing old is
> >invariably fatal. Prostate cancer is only sometimes so."
> >http://community.webtv.net/PALMER_ENT/doc

>



  Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2005, 14:01   #9 (permalink)
c palmer
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Pulsating brakes 98 Grand Marquis

go to autozone and have them look up the part for the wheel bearing and
show it to you. you will see that the bearings are made into the center
hub assy. they are not a take a part and service type bearing, but a
sealed bearing unit.

these will wear out and cause the whole wheel to have a shake to it as
ou drive as well as stopping.

now, if you are talking about a shudder only when you hit the brakes,
then you have rotors that are out of lateral.

this is caused by the manufacturing of the rotor itself and the hardness
of the metal varies so it doesn't wear at the same rate. as a result
causes uneven spots on the rotors and when they rub over the brake pads
will translate into a rapid pulsing of brake pedal as the car stops.
you can take them off, take them to a machine shop and have them put a
peen finish on them, but because it is metal itself, the condition will
come back over time as the rotors wear. replacement of the rotor will
usually get rid of this problem.

if you do the work yourself, it won't cost a bundle.

hope this helps.

~ curtis

knowledge is power - growing old is mandatory - growing wise is optional
"Many more men die with prostate cancer than of it. Growing old is
invariably fatal. Prostate cancer is only sometimes so."
http://community.webtv.net/PALMER_ENT/doc

  Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2005, 14:01   #10 (permalink)
finiteguy
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Pulsating brakes 98 Grand Marquis

I get a lot of vibration driving on the highway and when I brake I get
pulsing. I also get a ticking noise from the left front wheel and I
thought this was a broken hub cap.
Does it reqiure special tools to replace wheel bearings? I don't have
good tools and if I have to take the brakes apart to do this then
forget it, I will pay to have someone do it.


On Sat, 23 Jul 2005 15:35:48 -0500, PALMER_ENT@webtv.net (c palmer)
wrote:

>go to autozone and have them look up the part for the wheel bearing and
>show it to you. you will see that the bearings are made into the center
>hub assy. they are not a take a part and service type bearing, but a
>sealed bearing unit.
>
>these will wear out and cause the whole wheel to have a shake to it as
>ou drive as well as stopping.
>
>now, if you are talking about a shudder only when you hit the brakes,
>then you have rotors that are out of lateral.
>
>this is caused by the manufacturing of the rotor itself and the hardness
>of the metal varies so it doesn't wear at the same rate. as a result
>causes uneven spots on the rotors and when they rub over the brake pads
>will translate into a rapid pulsing of brake pedal as the car stops.
>you can take them off, take them to a machine shop and have them put a
>peen finish on them, but because it is metal itself, the condition will
>come back over time as the rotors wear. replacement of the rotor will
>usually get rid of this problem.
>
>if you do the work yourself, it won't cost a bundle.
>
>hope this helps.
>
>~ curtis
>
>knowledge is power - growing old is mandatory - growing wise is optional
>"Many more men die with prostate cancer than of it. Growing old is
>invariably fatal. Prostate cancer is only sometimes so."
>http://community.webtv.net/PALMER_ENT/doc


  Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

  Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Fordforums Community > USENET NewsGroups > alt.autos.ford



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are Off
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.2

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 10:13.



Powered by vBulletin® Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0
Garage Plus vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.