Re: Affording Fuel - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Fordforums Community > USENET NewsGroups > alt.autos.ford
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-30-2006, 22:01   #1 (permalink)
trainfan1
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Affording Fuel

Wayne.B wrote:

> On Tue, 31 Jan 2006 01:34:02 GMT, Shortwave Sportfishing
> <onetwothree@four.com> wrote:
>
>
>>My truck has over 100k and the town car is approaching 100k - that
>>little escort i bought to keep the gas milage down is over 100k - 115k
>>in fact.
>>
>>100k is nothing nowadays.

>
>
> That's true if you buy the right vehicle.


Absolutely!

> My youngest son is now
> driving the Camry that I bought new in 1992. It is at almost 200K
> miles and still going strong in NYC traffic and roads.


Rust will consume that car before wear & tear.

> My wife's
> Honda Accord is over 100K miles and still runs like new.


It'd better. It's not even broken in yet.

>
> On the other hand our 1991 Dodge Caravan had trim falling off of it by
> 50,000 miles, 3 transmissions, all new brakes and a radiator by
> 70,000. It was getting too unreliable to keep, and it will be a long
> time before we buy another Chrysler product. I'd rather spend my
> money on boats. (on topic)


That was a real junky vehicle. Like you said, it's got to be the right
vehicle.

Ford has been doing a much better job than GM on the whole since ~1996
when the G2 Taurus & the 3.8 V-6 combination was laid to rest after
1995. Problems with that platform came back to haunt the WindStar for a
while, but they were ironed out.

A lot of GM troubles are around their commitment to DexCool. Between
poorly designed & built gaskets, that stuff is just bad news...

Despite a crazy number of recalls, the Focus is holding up well. I
would buy a used 3.0 Taurus/Sable or any Crown/Marquis, or 2005-up
Mustang, in a second and expect 300,000 miles if the rust can be avoided.

And Fords & GMs are cheaper to fix, easier to work on.

And I like boats better too, but my newest (power)boat is a 1973,
sailboat is a 1979. They are holding up very well. Both are domestic
makes. I'd never buy a Toyota boat.

Yamaha, maybe! (They own several brands).

Rob
  Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 01-31-2006, 01:01   #2 (permalink)
Calif Bill
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Affording Fuel


"trainfan1" <lmsearing@usdatanet.net> wrote in message
news:3c2dncuWG6EKcEPeRVn-pQ@usadatanet.net...
> Wayne.B wrote:
>
>> On Tue, 31 Jan 2006 01:34:02 GMT, Shortwave Sportfishing
>> <onetwothree@four.com> wrote:
>>
>>
>>>My truck has over 100k and the town car is approaching 100k - that
>>>little escort i bought to keep the gas milage down is over 100k - 115k
>>>in fact.
>>>
>>>100k is nothing nowadays.

>>
>>
>> That's true if you buy the right vehicle.

>
> Absolutely!
>
>> My youngest son is now
>> driving the Camry that I bought new in 1992. It is at almost 200K
>> miles and still going strong in NYC traffic and roads.

>
> Rust will consume that car before wear & tear.
>
>> My wife's
>> Honda Accord is over 100K miles and still runs like new.

>
> It'd better. It's not even broken in yet.
>
>>
>> On the other hand our 1991 Dodge Caravan had trim falling off of it by
>> 50,000 miles, 3 transmissions, all new brakes and a radiator by
>> 70,000. It was getting too unreliable to keep, and it will be a long
>> time before we buy another Chrysler product. I'd rather spend my
>> money on boats. (on topic)

>



My neighbors Honda minivan is maybe 3 years old, not that many miles, and is
on it's 3rd tranny. Maybe it is a Chrysler product in disguise.


  Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2006, 10:01   #3 (permalink)
Mike Hunter
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Affording Fuel

You might want to do some research on gasket problems. GM like ever other
manufacture had gasket problem. The result of the government mandate to
gasket manufactures to remove asbestos without giving the gasket
manufactures time to develop an alternative material. GM, Toyota, Chrysler,
Honda and every other manufacture were not at fault, they and their customer
were victims of a poorly planed government madate.


"trainfan1" <lmsearing@usdatanet.net> wrote in message
news:3c2dncuWG6EKcEPeRVn-pQ@usadatanet.net...
> Wayne.B wrote:
>
> A lot of GM troubles are around their commitment to DexCool. Between
> poorly designed & built gaskets, that stuff is just bad news...
>
>
> Rob



  Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2006, 15:01   #4 (permalink)
trainfan1
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Affording Fuel

Mike Hunter wrote:
> You might want to do some research on gasket problems.


Don't need to, I realize that, the Ford 3.8 front drive is a prime
example... BUT

The gaskets are not responsible for the action of the DexCool gunking up
& "beaching" in low-flow areas, & erosion of cast iron head surfaces
that were just fine with glycol, or even plain water!


GM like ever other
> manufacture had gasket problem. The result of the government mandate to
> gasket manufactures to remove asbestos without giving the gasket
> manufactures time to develop an alternative material. GM, Toyota, Chrysler,
> Honda and every other manufacture were not at fault, they and their customer
> were victims of a poorly planed government madate.


But asbestos was not a factor in the design of lower intake gaskets -
practically EVERY ONE with DexCool on GM V-6s & most V-8s is going to
fail to some extent - go out & look at yours. If it's under warranty -
go get it done - there are updated gaskets coming out now for more
recent vehicles - Rendezvous, etc...

Rob
  Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

  Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Fordforums Community > USENET NewsGroups > alt.autos.ford



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are Off
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.2

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 20:08.



Powered by vBulletin® Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0
Garage Plus vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.