Sending Unit - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Fordforums Community > USENET NewsGroups > alt.autos.ford
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-19-2005, 17:01   #1 (permalink)
Sharky
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Sending Unit

I'm wondering if it is at all possible to clean the electrical contacts of
the sending unit because of the effect of what you guys call "olephins". I
have a sending unit on my 1983 F-150 that when if I hook it up outside of
the tank and move the float up and down, my gauge will work correctly.
However, after a day of working perfectly inside the tank, the gauge all of
a sudden stopped working and now I am wondering if it can be cleaned to a
state that which it may function again. As far as the unit itself, it is in
good condition, no rust or broken contacts, etc. The two male connectors on
top of the unit that the round rubber female connector plugs into is in good
shape, as is the other connector. This afternoon, I also tried dropping the
tank enough to pull off the connector and wire up a seperate ground off the
frame of the truck to the sending unit. This did not make any difference,
and I have already replaced both wires running along the frame up to the
gauge, so I know there is no problem there.

Anyway, can it be cleaned, and if so, what should I use to do it?

Thanks for any help
Sharky


  Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 06-21-2005, 05:01   #2 (permalink)
Backyard Mechanic
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Sending Unit

If your gas is causing this, I would change suppliers/brands pronto!

I think perhaps you didnt look / test close enough when you had it out.

IIRC, the contact arm is grounded, and the resistance wire is connected
directly to the sender connector. If the ground is supplied to the arm
through the pivot that would be my suspect point.

Solution: very flexible wire, to the arm itself.

"Sharky" <cleighton@NOSPAM.eastlink.ca> wrote in
news:Qgnte.82936$tt5.11374@edtnps90:

> I'm wondering if it is at all possible to clean the electrical
> contacts of the sending unit because of the effect of what you guys
> call "olephins". I have a sending unit on my 1983 F-150 that when if
> I hook it up outside of the tank and move the float up and down, my
> gauge will work correctly. However, after a day of working perfectly
> inside the tank, the gauge all of a sudden stopped working and now I
> am wondering if it can be cleaned to a state that which it may
> function again. As far as the unit itself, it is in good condition,
> no rust or broken contacts, etc. The two male connectors on top of
> the unit that the round rubber female connector plugs into is in good
> shape, as is the other connector. This afternoon, I also tried
> dropping the tank enough to pull off the connector and wire up a
> seperate ground off the frame of the truck to the sending unit. This
> did not make any difference, and I have already replaced both wires
> running along the frame up to the gauge, so I know there is no problem
> there.
>
> Anyway, can it be cleaned, and if so, what should I use to do it?
>
> Thanks for any help
> Sharky
>
>
>


  Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2005, 06:01   #3 (permalink)
Sharky
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Sending Unit

Backyard, thanks for the reply. I'm not sure if the gas is causing this or
not, but the arm/float looked fairly clean on the sending unit and all of
the electrical contacts I could see looked clean and unbroken. The only
thing I did not look at was the contact point inside the little metal box
that the float arm moves up and down on. The ground on the sending unit
stops on the other side of the pin contact, so I would have to assume that
it grounds through the fuel tank itself, through the round base plate. Just
to make sure it is getting a proper ground, I have already run a seperate
wire from the frame to the ground pin on the connector, so the ground should
not be an issue now.

I may try pulling the tank down and removing the sending unit later on this
afternoon and then clean it with sandpaper/SOS pad very carefully. You can
take that metal box apart where the float arm moves on the coiled wire, so I
may pull the cover off and see whats in there. I took the old one off the
sending unit I just removed and the coiled wire inside was still in good
shape. There was a bit of dirt in there, but nothing serious, so I doubt
this sending unit would be much worse as it was in twice the condition the
old one was.

It just strikes me as odd that when I had the sending unit out of the tank
and hooked up, it was working fine. And I did not clip a ground wire to it,
I just hooked the connector up and moved the float in my hand. I really
don't think it's the fuel causing this because I've been using the same
brand on two other vehicles for the last 4 years and the fuel gauges in each
work fine.

Sharky


"Backyard Mechanic" <pettyfog@yaywho.com> wrote in message
news:Xns967C4B6F54CE6pettyfogyahoocom@207.115.63.158...
> If your gas is causing this, I would change suppliers/brands pronto!
>
> I think perhaps you didnt look / test close enough when you had it out.
>
> IIRC, the contact arm is grounded, and the resistance wire is connected
> directly to the sender connector. If the ground is supplied to the arm
> through the pivot that would be my suspect point.
>
> Solution: very flexible wire, to the arm itself.
>
> "Sharky" <cleighton@NOSPAM.eastlink.ca> wrote in
> news:Qgnte.82936$tt5.11374@edtnps90:
>
>> I'm wondering if it is at all possible to clean the electrical
>> contacts of the sending unit because of the effect of what you guys
>> call "olephins". I have a sending unit on my 1983 F-150 that when if
>> I hook it up outside of the tank and move the float up and down, my
>> gauge will work correctly. However, after a day of working perfectly
>> inside the tank, the gauge all of a sudden stopped working and now I
>> am wondering if it can be cleaned to a state that which it may
>> function again. As far as the unit itself, it is in good condition,
>> no rust or broken contacts, etc. The two male connectors on top of
>> the unit that the round rubber female connector plugs into is in good
>> shape, as is the other connector. This afternoon, I also tried
>> dropping the tank enough to pull off the connector and wire up a
>> seperate ground off the frame of the truck to the sending unit. This
>> did not make any difference, and I have already replaced both wires
>> running along the frame up to the gauge, so I know there is no problem
>> there.
>>
>> Anyway, can it be cleaned, and if so, what should I use to do it?
>>
>> Thanks for any help
>> Sharky
>>
>>
>>

>



  Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2005, 12:02   #4 (permalink)
Sharky
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Sending Unit

UPDATE: Well, it obviously isn't the gas causing my fuel gauge to stop
working, or any of the wiring for that matter. Went out this afternoon to
replace the inner/outer tie rod and when I took it for a short spin to see
if it was still in alignment, my gauge "magically" started working again.
Now it's reading where it should be, 3/4 and I haven't touched anything to
do with the gauge or sending unit since I replaced the old one last week.

I guess this is to be expected from a 23 year old truck, LOL. At least
everything else works OK on the truck.

Sharky


  Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2005, 23:01   #5 (permalink)
stevie
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Sending Unit

I had a similar problem on my 82 f100. the gauge registered empty, even
though gas was there. mechanic said it was float problem, said it was
common.

so i dropped tank and pulled sending unit. the float was ok. I reinstalled
tank and it started to work again. now, it works intermittently. i haven't
worried too much about it since i have two tanks and don't drive the truck
very much. i assume that the contacts need cleaning, which i will do
sometime (when it gets cooler).

if you drop the tank, do not destroy the larger rubber hose that gas flows
into (when you're pumping gas). mine was difficult to remove so i was just
going to cut it off. i decided to get a new one before i destroyed the old
one. however, the inlet hose cannot be found, even from Ford. i was able
to reuse the old one. you might be able to find a flex hose that would
work.


"Sharky" <cleighton@NOSPAM.eastlink.ca> wrote in message
news:oaZte.70669$HI.53096@edtnps84...
UPDATE: Well, it obviously isn't the gas causing my fuel gauge to stop
working, or any of the wiring for that matter. Went out this afternoon to
replace the inner/outer tie rod and when I took it for a short spin to see
if it was still in alignment, my gauge "magically" started working again.
Now it's reading where it should be, 3/4 and I haven't touched anything to
do with the gauge or sending unit since I replaced the old one last week.

I guess this is to be expected from a 23 year old truck, LOL. At least
everything else works OK on the truck.

Sharky



  Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2005, 06:01   #6 (permalink)
Sharky
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Sending Unit

Stevie, thanks for the suggestions. Sometime soon, I probably will drop the
tank again and pull the sending unit out. I had no problems with the filler
tube, I just unclamped it at the gas cap end and it came straight down with
the tank. Once it's out, I will clean the contacts, but I'm not sure what
to use to clean it. I've found WD-40 only works for so long, so I will
probably pick up some kind of electrical cleaner from Radio Shack.

It has been working intermittently, like you say yours does. Just depends
on the day of the week I guess :-) .
Anyway, I guess I'll just keep the full jug of gas on board for a little
while longer. I'm glad that this isn't my daily driver, it only gets used
for certain tasks.

Thanks for your help,
Sharky


  Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

  Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Fordforums Community > USENET NewsGroups > alt.autos.ford



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are Off
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.2

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 05:39.



Powered by vBulletin® Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0
Garage Plus vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.