Strange Key Problem - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
» Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Fordforums Community > USENET NewsGroups > alt.autos.ford
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-03-2005, 07:02   #1 (permalink)
Eric Toline
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Strange Key Problem

One key used to do it all for a 1999 Taurus but now the key will open
the trunk and start the car but will not open the doors.

Doors and trunk open from the remote. Remote will also lock the doors
and set alarm. Any hints or information appreciated.


Eric

  Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 12-03-2005, 08:01   #2 (permalink)
Backyard Mechanic
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Strange Key Problem

Audioetc@webtv.net (Eric Toline) wrote:

> One key used to do it all for a 1999 Taurus but now the key will open
> the trunk and start the car but will not open the doors.
>
> Doors and trunk open from the remote. Remote will also lock the doors
> and set alarm. Any hints or information appreciated.


just to get this straight... your key will not turn the door lock?

Try lock-ease or liquid graphite and check back.

--
Yeh, I'm a Krusty old Geezer, putting up with my 'smartass' is the price
you pay..DEAL with it!
  Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2005, 10:01   #3 (permalink)
Dark1
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Strange Key Problem


"Backyard Mechanic" <pettyfog@yaywho.com> wrote in message
news:Xns97216E084706Apettyfogery@207.115.63.158...
> Audioetc@webtv.net (Eric Toline) wrote:
>
>> One key used to do it all for a 1999 Taurus but now the key will open
>> the trunk and start the car but will not open the doors.
>>
>> Doors and trunk open from the remote. Remote will also lock the doors
>> and set alarm. Any hints or information appreciated.

>
> just to get this straight... your key will not turn the door lock?
>
> Try lock-ease or liquid graphite and check back.
>
> --
> Yeh, I'm a Krusty old Geezer, putting up with my 'smartass' is the price
> you pay..DEAL with it!


the same problem was posted here a whole 9 hours ago(which you gave pretty
much the same response to), same model even.. a whole 8 threads down..it
just never ceases to amaze me..
some people don't do google, that maybe I can understand but... just..there
are no words..


  Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2005, 12:01   #4 (permalink)
joe schmoe
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Strange Key Problem

On Sat, 3 Dec 2005 09:33:02 -0500, Audioetc@webtv.net (Eric Toline)
wrote:

>One key used to do it all for a 1999 Taurus but now the key will open
>the trunk and start the car but will not open the doors.
>
>Doors and trunk open from the remote. Remote will also lock the doors
>and set alarm. Any hints or information appreciated.
>
>
>Eric


Check linkage connecting the lock cylinder to the door latch
mechanism. Sometimes when people try to use a "slim jim" they
accidentally disconnect the linkage instead of gaining entry into the
vehicle.

If you give us full information we can give you a more accurate
answer. Does the lock cylinder turn with the key?
  Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2005, 12:01   #5 (permalink)
bamp
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Strange Key Problem


"Dark1" <betterask4it@ifyouwantit.com> wrote in message
news:Unkkf.7181$lh.4031@tornado.ohiordc.rr.com...
>
> "Backyard Mechanic" <pettyfog@yaywho.com> wrote in message
> news:Xns97216E084706Apettyfogery@207.115.63.158...
>> Audioetc@webtv.net (Eric Toline) wrote:
>>
>>> One key used to do it all for a 1999 Taurus but now the key will open
>>> the trunk and start the car but will not open the doors.
>>>
>>> Doors and trunk open from the remote. Remote will also lock the doors
>>> and set alarm. Any hints or information appreciated.

>>
>> just to get this straight... your key will not turn the door lock?
>>
>> Try lock-ease or liquid graphite and check back.
>>
>> --
>> Yeh, I'm a Krusty old Geezer, putting up with my 'smartass' is the price
>> you pay..DEAL with it!

>
> the same problem was posted here a whole 9 hours ago(which you gave pretty
> much the same response to), same model even.. a whole 8 threads down..it
> just never ceases to amaze me..
> some people don't do google, that maybe I can understand but...
> just..there are no words..
>

Who peed in your Corn Flakes??

...
bamp


  Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2005, 23:01   #6 (permalink)
Eric Toline
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Strange Key Problem


Re: Strange Key Problem

Group: alt.autos.ford Date: Sat, Dec 3, 2005, 7:04pm (EST+5) From:
me@virgin.not (joe schmoe)
On Sat, 3 Dec 2005 09:33:02 -0500, Audioetc@webtv.net (Eric Toline)
wrote:

One key used to do it all for a 1999 Taurus but now the key will open
the trunk and start the car but will not open the doors.
Doors and trunk open from the remote. Remote will also lock the doors
and set alarm. Any hints or information appreciated.
Eric


Check linkage connecting the lock cylinder to the door latch mechanism.
  Sometimes when people try to use a "slim jim" they accidentally
disconnect the linkage instead of gaining entry into the vehicle.

If you give us full information we can give you a more accurate answer.
Does the lock cylinder turn with the key?<<<<<<<<<<<

No slim jim ever used and the problem is with both the drivers side door
lock and the passenger side door lock with both set of keys. The key
goes in but it can't be turned.

Eric

  Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2005, 00:01   #7 (permalink)
Tom Adkins
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Strange Key Problem

Eric Toline wrote:
>
> Re: Strange Key Problem
>
> Group: alt.autos.ford Date: Sat, Dec 3, 2005, 7:04pm (EST+5) From:
> me@virgin.not (joe schmoe)
> On Sat, 3 Dec 2005 09:33:02 -0500, Audioetc@webtv.net (Eric Toline)
> wrote:
>
> One key used to do it all for a 1999 Taurus but now the key will open
> the trunk and start the car but will not open the doors.
> Doors and trunk open from the remote. Remote will also lock the doors
> and set alarm. Any hints or information appreciated.
> Eric
>
>
> Check linkage connecting the lock cylinder to the door latch mechanism.
> Sometimes when people try to use a "slim jim" they accidentally
> disconnect the linkage instead of gaining entry into the vehicle.
>
> If you give us full information we can give you a more accurate answer.
> Does the lock cylinder turn with the key?<<<<<<<<<<<
>
> No slim jim ever used and the problem is with both the drivers side door
> lock and the passenger side door lock with both set of keys. The key
> goes in but it can't be turned.
>
> Eric
>


This is a common problem on 90s Tauri. Soak the lock cylinders(through the key hole)
with penetrant(PB Blaster is best, WD-40 will work sometime) and work the key in and
out 10 or 15 times. You may have to do this over a couple of days. If they still don't
work, the tumblers in the cylinders are stuck with corrosion and the lock cylinder
needs to be replaced.
Most DIY folks don't realize that lock cylinders(and door and hood latches) need to
be lubed every oil change. Non DIY folks don't know and assume that Jiffy lube will
take care of it, which they don't.
  Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2005, 04:01   #8 (permalink)
MasterBlaster
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Strange Key Problem


"Eric Toline" wrote

> One key used to do it all for a 1999 Taurus but now the key will open
> the trunk and start the car but will not open the doors.
>
> Doors and trunk open from the remote. Remote will also lock the doors
> and set alarm. Any hints or information appreciated.


It it c-c-c-cold where you live? (frozen locks)

Is the key perfectly straight, or has it been twisted? (tumblers don't line up)

  Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2005, 09:01   #9 (permalink)
Eric Toline
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Strange Key Problem/ Solved

A quick spray of lube into the keyhole fixed the problem. Six years of
not using the key to open the doors probably was the cause. Thanks for
the efforts.

Eric

  Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

  Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Fordforums Community > USENET NewsGroups > alt.autos.ford



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are Off
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.2

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 19:10.



Powered by vBulletin® Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0
Garage Plus vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.