T-Bird Overheating - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Fordforums Community > USENET NewsGroups > alt.autos.ford
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-15-2005, 17:01   #1 (permalink)
javatech@bellsouth.net
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
T-Bird Overheating

Help. The coolant overflown bottle om my T-Bird Keeps filling
up and the car starts to run hot. I beleive that the cooling fan
is not coming on at the proper heat range. What sensor should
I replace. The Engine Coolant Temperature sensor or the
Coolant temperature sending Unit. I beleive that the sending
unit controls the temperature guage on the dash but do not
know what signals the fan to come on. Any help would
be apperciated.

Thanks
  Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 03-15-2005, 19:01   #2 (permalink)
Tom Adkins
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: T-Bird Overheating

javatech@bellsouth.net wrote:
> Help. The coolant overflown bottle om my T-Bird Keeps filling
> up and the car starts to run hot. I beleive that the cooling fan
> is not coming on at the proper heat range. What sensor should
> I replace. The Engine Coolant Temperature sensor or the
> Coolant temperature sending Unit. I beleive that the sending
> unit controls the temperature guage on the dash but do not
> know what signals the fan to come on. Any help would
> be apperciated.
>
> Thanks


The problem is likely not a sensor. The fan is controlled by the PCM.
Does the fan run? If not the suspects would be the fan motor or relay.
What year is the car and which engine?
Tom
  Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2005, 19:01   #3 (permalink)
javatek?@usa.com
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: T-Bird Overheating

Yes the fan runs. What is the PCM ? I have taken out the
thermostate and am running without it. So why would the
oveflow bottle fill up all the time. I still think that the fan
is not coming at the proper heat range. The radiator and
water pump are only 1 year old. So I don't know what the
problem is. The raditor cap is new as well. I thought that
the cap might not be the right pressure and letting the coolant
seep too soon. What is your thoughts.

>> Help. The coolant overflown bottle om my T-Bird Keeps filling
>> up and the car starts to run hot. I beleive that the cooling fan
>> is not coming on at the proper heat range. What sensor should
>> I replace. The Engine Coolant Temperature sensor or the
>> Coolant temperature sending Unit. I beleive that the sending
>> unit controls the temperature guage on the dash but do not
>> know what signals the fan to come on. Any help would
>> be apperciated.
>>
>> Thanks

>
> The problem is likely not a sensor. The fan is controlled by the PCM.
> Does the fan run? If not the suspects would be the fan motor or relay.
> What year is the car and which engine?
> Tom


  Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2005, 19:01   #4 (permalink)
pick one
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: T-Bird Overheating

If you run a koeo self test you'll know if the fans work or not because the fans
will either work or they wont. If there is a electrical problem with the fans
you will get codes. No codes go to the basics of cooling system diagnosis.
<javatech@bellsouth.net> wrote in message
news:t9te31d3tllqrrnduk92i2v209a39o2m5v@4ax.com...
> Help. The coolant overflown bottle om my T-Bird Keeps filling
> up and the car starts to run hot. I beleive that the cooling fan
> is not coming on at the proper heat range. What sensor should
> I replace. The Engine Coolant Temperature sensor or the
> Coolant temperature sending Unit. I beleive that the sending
> unit controls the temperature guage on the dash but do not
> know what signals the fan to come on. Any help would
> be apperciated.
>
> Thanks



  Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2005, 19:01   #5 (permalink)
Tom Adkins
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: T-Bird Overheating

javatek?@usa.com wrote:
> Yes the fan runs. What is the PCM ? I have taken out the
> thermostate and am running without it. So why would the
> oveflow bottle fill up all the time. I still think that the fan
> is not coming at the proper heat range. The radiator and
> water pump are only 1 year old. So I don't know what the
> problem is. The raditor cap is new as well. I thought that
> the cap might not be the right pressure and letting the coolant
> seep too soon. What is your thoughts.
>
>



The PCM is the Powertrain Control Module (main engine computer). It is unlikely that
the fan is coming on at the wrong temperature. The ECT (Engine Coolant Temperature)
sensor tells the PCM what the coolant temperature is. If it were out of range enough
to cause overheating (and excessive cooling system pressure) you would also have other
severe drivability concerns. You didn't state the engine size but I'm starting to
suspect it's a 3.8L.
Remove the radiator cap and top off the radiator. If you see bubbles with the engine
running the problem is most likely blown head gaskets. Look to see if you have bubbles
coming out of the radiator neck while it's running and check back.
  Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

  Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Fordforums Community > USENET NewsGroups > alt.autos.ford



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are Off
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
overheating problem greenieofdubbo Inline 6 Tech 4 05-15-2005 05:15
Diagnosing overheating... Neeek Cleveland Tech 20 11-20-2004 18:18
Running problems with 95 Bird 4.6L... 85vdub Ford Thunderbird Forum 0 09-12-2004 20:28
need help asap on '96 taurus overheating Bobby C 01TA V6 and Hot4 Tech 9 02-16-2004 13:44
new here.. need help asap on '96 Taurus overheating.. Bobby C 01TA V6 and Hot4 Tech 1 07-09-2003 01:57

Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.2

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 11:40.



Powered by vBulletin® Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0
Garage Plus vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.