Using F150 pickup as a snow plow truck... - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Fordforums Community > USENET NewsGroups > alt.autos.ford
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-12-2005, 00:42   #1 (permalink)
TheKidd
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Using F150 pickup as a snow plow truck...

Live in Mass. Lots of snow this winter and probably more coming.

I have a 450' long driveway and currently pay someone to plow the driveway
for me. He has a Small Chevy pickup.
I was thinking that in a year or two of buying a F150 and then purchase a
plow to do the driveway myself.
I talked to a couple of folks about it and they're steering me away from
using the F150, saying that the truck is not meant to be used as a plow due
to the "car-like" suspension in it. Well, not knowing much about all this I
wanted to get opinions from you folks.

I have to say that the smaller pickups I've seen with a plow are mostly
Chevy and Dodge. Any truth to the "car-like" suspension on an F150 not being
adequate for plowing?

Regards
TheKidd


  Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 03-12-2005, 00:42   #2 (permalink)
trainfan1
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Using F150 pickup as a snow plow truck...

TheKidd wrote:
> Live in Mass. Lots of snow this winter and probably more coming.
>
> I have a 450' long driveway and currently pay someone to plow the driveway
> for me. He has a Small Chevy pickup.
> I was thinking that in a year or two of buying a F150 and then purchase a
> plow to do the driveway myself.
> I talked to a couple of folks about it and they're steering me away from
> using the F150, saying that the truck is not meant to be used as a plow due
> to the "car-like" suspension in it. Well, not knowing much about all this I
> wanted to get opinions from you folks.
>
> I have to say that the smaller pickups I've seen with a plow are mostly
> Chevy and Dodge. Any truth to the "car-like" suspension on an F150 not being
> adequate for plowing?
>
> Regards
> TheKidd
>
>


The F-150 3/4 ton pickup ("7700") has been upgraded for 2004 & 2005 to
an "8200". It is a worthy plow truck(and in 4x2 trim will carry nearly
1.5 tons).


HEAVY-DUTY PAYLOAD PACKAGE (627)
• Heavy-duty frame and 72-amp battery
• Increases GVWR to 8200 lbs. for improved payload and towing
• LT245/70x17D BSW all-terrain tires
• Upgraded springs, radiator and auxiliary transmission oil cooler
• Wheels - High capacity 17" 7-lug steel


SNOW PLOW PREP PACKAGE (62S)
• Requires Heavy-Duty Payload Package
• Spring/GAWR upgrades

The F-250 SD basic pickup is only about $200.00 more on invoice than the
basic F-150. Keep in mind, though, this is for a base model, stick
shift, 4x2, no options.

Rob
  Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2005, 00:43   #3 (permalink)
351CJ
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Using F150 pickup as a snow plow truck...

TheKidd wrote:
> Live in Mass. Lots of snow this winter and probably more coming.
>
> I have a 450' long driveway and currently pay someone to plow the driveway
> for me. He has a Small Chevy pickup.
> I was thinking that in a year or two of buying a F150 and then purchase a
> plow to do the driveway myself.
> I talked to a couple of folks about it and they're steering me away from
> using the F150, saying that the truck is not meant to be used as a plow due
> to the "car-like" suspension in it. Well, not knowing much about all this I
> wanted to get opinions from you folks.
>
> I have to say that the smaller pickups I've seen with a plow are mostly
> Chevy and Dodge. Any truth to the "car-like" suspension on an F150 not being
> adequate for plowing?
>
> Regards
> TheKidd
>
>


You could plow your driveway with a 15 HP lawn tractor. I do mine with
my 32 Horse kubota Tractor.

Is an F-150 a suitable snow plow truck? Not according to Ford Motor
company. Could you use it for a 10 or 20 plows of your 450' long
driveway each year? Probably so without much problem. If you tried to
use it all winter to plow for a living, absolutely not enough truck to
hold up long.
  Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2005, 00:43   #4 (permalink)
Jim Warman
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Using F150 pickup as a snow plow truck...

The SuperDuty would be a much better choice for plowing. The F150 is more of
a "gentlemans" truck while the SuperDuty can handle the workload quite a but
better. IIRC, the 5,4 F150 will have the 4R75W trans while tthe SD will have
the TorqueShift which can handle the higher loading you will experience when
pushing.

Additionally, the boxed frame on the F150 is made of much thinner metal that
the SD.


"TheKidd" <kidd@nos.net> wrote in message news:TY6Vd.296$qm6.95@fe03.lga...
> Live in Mass. Lots of snow this winter and probably more coming.
>



  Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2005, 00:43   #5 (permalink)
Jim Warman
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Using F150 pickup as a snow plow truck...

Sorry... the 05 SD with 5.4 and 6.8 comes equipped with the TorqueShift....
Lord knows I've PDI'd enough of them.... The F150 with 4.2 is fitted with
the 4R70E (sorry for the previous misnomer) and the 5.4 is fitted with the
4R75E for 05.... I haven't had a 4.6 powered F150 theough my bay yet so I'm
not sure if it has the 70 or 75 transmission.

The TorqueShift was never "reserved" for the 6.0 though this was the first
motor fitted with the transmission. in 03. In 04, the gas SuperDuties were
fitted with the 4R100. AFAIK, the 4R100 is no more. Hope this straightens
the record.

Jim Warman
Senior Ford Tech
Diesel Certified.



  Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2005, 00:43   #6 (permalink)
trainfan1
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Using F150 pickup as a snow plow truck...

Jim Warman wrote:
> Sorry... the 05 SD with 5.4 and 6.8 comes equipped with the TorqueShift....
> Lord knows I've PDI'd enough of them.... The F150 with 4.2 is fitted with
> the 4R70E (sorry for the previous misnomer) and the 5.4 is fitted with the
> 4R75E for 05.... I haven't had a 4.6 powered F150 theough my bay yet so I'm
> not sure if it has the 70 or 75 transmission.
>
> The TorqueShift was never "reserved" for the 6.0 though this was the first
> motor fitted with the transmission. in 03. In 04, the gas SuperDuties were
> fitted with the 4R100. AFAIK, the 4R100 is no more. Hope this straightens
> the record.
>
> Jim Warman
> Senior Ford Tech
> Diesel Certified.
>
>
>


Sounds good!

Rob
  Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2005, 00:43   #7 (permalink)
351CJ
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Using F150 pickup as a snow plow truck...

trainfan1 wrote:
> Jim Warman wrote:
>
>> The SuperDuty would be a much better choice for plowing. The F150 is
>> more of
>> a "gentlemans" truck while the SuperDuty can handle the workload quite
>> a but
>> better. IIRC, the 5,4 F150 will have the 4R75W trans

>
>
> F-150 5.4 could have the 4R70W or E4OD/4R100. F-250SD 5.4 will have the
> E4OD/4R100, the TorqShift 5R110W is reserved for the diesel.
>


WRONG, Check your facts, for 2005 the TorqShift is available in all
three SuperDuty engine choices! 5.4, 6.8 gas and 6.0 diesel!


>
> while tthe SD will have
>
>> the TorqueShift which can handle the higher loading you will
>> experience when
>> pushing.

>
>
> F-250SD 5.4 will have the E4OD/4R100, the TorqShift 5R110W is reserved
> for the diesel.


Again, Check your facts, for 2005 the TorqShift is available in all
three SuperDuty engine choices! 5.4, 6.8 gas and 6.0 diesel!


>
>>
>> Additionally, the boxed frame on the F150 is made of much thinner
>> metal that
>> the SD.

>
>
> Not all F-150 frames are the same. Thinner does not equal weaker. Look
> up "hydroformed frame".
>
> Rob

  Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2005, 00:43   #8 (permalink)
MajorDomo@mailcity.com
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Using F150 pickup as a snow plow truck...

The companies that sell plows, like Myers and Western will not
install a plow ON any F150 that does not have the Twin I Beam
suspension or on one with a manual transmission. Myers does
offer a plow for the F150, but it not mounted on the truck. It
is on a dolly connected to the front of the truck. Current
models need to be at least an F250 to mount the plow ON the
truck.


mike hunt



TheKidd wrote:
>
> Live in Mass. Lots of snow this winter and probably more coming.
>
> I have a 450' long driveway and currently pay someone to plow the driveway
> for me. He has a Small Chevy pickup.
> I was thinking that in a year or two of buying a F150 and then purchase a
> plow to do the driveway myself.
> I talked to a couple of folks about it and they're steering me away from
> using the F150, saying that the truck is not meant to be used as a plow due
> to the "car-like" suspension in it. Well, not knowing much about all this I
> wanted to get opinions from you folks.
>
> I have to say that the smaller pickups I've seen with a plow are mostly
> Chevy and Dodge. Any truth to the "car-like" suspension on an F150 not being
> adequate for plowing?
>
> Regards
> TheKidd

  Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2005, 00:43   #9 (permalink)
trainfan1
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Using F150 pickup as a snow plow truck...

351CJ wrote:
> trainfan1 wrote:
>


>> F-150 5.4 could have the 4R70W or E4OD/4R100. F-250SD 5.4 will have
>> the E4OD/4R100, the TorqShift 5R110W is reserved for the diesel.
>>

>
> WRONG, Check your facts, for 2005 the TorqShift is available in all
> three SuperDuty engine choices! 5.4, 6.8 gas and 6.0 diesel!
>


I already stand corrected in the above posting on the 2005 line-up.

Rob
  Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2005, 00:44   #10 (permalink)
pick one
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Using F150 pickup as a snow plow truck...

False on all accounts.
This is what Meyers says: http://www.meyerproducts.com/service/faqs.asp
How do I know if my vehicle is recommended for a snow plowing application?
Only vehicles that have the vehicle manufacturer's snow plow prep package are
recommended for snow plowing. GM uses the "VYU" option code. Ford uses the "86M"
option code. Dodge uses the "AHH" or "AHD" option code. Snow plowing without the
original Snow Plow Preparation Package may damage your vehicle, and the added
weight to the equipment may impair the operation and control of the vehicle .
Snow plowing with a vehicle that the manufacturer does not recommend for that
purpose may void your new vehicle warranty. If your vehicle is not originally
equipped with the Snow Plow Package, additional parts may be necessary before
snow plowing. Owners of these vehicles should consult their dealers before
purchase or installation of such parts. CAUTION: the installation, on any
vehicle, of these parts is not a full substitute for the original equipment Snow
Plow Preparation Package.



I just built a F150 with the snow plow package on line.

Both Western and Meyers list mounts for the F150 as well as blades.

<MajorDomo@mailcity.com> wrote in message news:422636CB.9CAC7943@mailcity.com...
> The companies that sell plows, like Myers and Western will not
> install a plow ON any F150 that does not have the Twin I Beam
> suspension or on one with a manual transmission. Myers does
> offer a plow for the F150, but it not mounted on the truck. It
> is on a dolly connected to the front of the truck. Current
> models need to be at least an F250 to mount the plow ON the
> truck.
>
>
> mike hunt
>
>
>
> TheKidd wrote:
>>
>> Live in Mass. Lots of snow this winter and probably more coming.
>>
>> I have a 450' long driveway and currently pay someone to plow the driveway
>> for me. He has a Small Chevy pickup.
>> I was thinking that in a year or two of buying a F150 and then purchase a
>> plow to do the driveway myself.
>> I talked to a couple of folks about it and they're steering me away from
>> using the F150, saying that the truck is not meant to be used as a plow due
>> to the "car-like" suspension in it. Well, not knowing much about all this I
>> wanted to get opinions from you folks.
>>
>> I have to say that the smaller pickups I've seen with a plow are mostly
>> Chevy and Dodge. Any truth to the "car-like" suspension on an F150 not being
>> adequate for plowing?
>>
>> Regards
>> TheKidd



  Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

  Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Fordforums Community > USENET NewsGroups > alt.autos.ford



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are Off
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
US:2004 Texas Auto Show, Texas pickup wars heat up at state fair Stacy94PGT Ford Worldwide News 0 10-10-2004 20:50
U.S.:Best in Class: Pickup truck interiors,Ford F-150 sets a new standard Stacy94PGT Ford F-100 | Ford F-150 | Ford F-250 | Ford F-350 | Ford Super Duty | Ford Diesel 1 01-28-2004 12:49
U.S.A.:U.S. truck war waged in Texas Stacy94PGT Ford Worldwide News 0 08-03-2003 00:29
U.S.:Review of the 2004 Ford F150 Lariat SuperCrew Stacy94PGT Ford F-100 | Ford F-150 | Ford F-250 | Ford F-350 | Ford Super Duty | Ford Diesel 0 07-30-2003 22:27
North America:Ford's new F150 pickup has heavy-duty role in company Stacy94PGT Ford Worldwide News 0 06-24-2003 04:16

Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.2

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 00:28.



Powered by vBulletin® Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0
Garage Plus vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.