What model year was the first "reliable" Escort - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Fordforums Community > USENET NewsGroups > alt.autos.ford
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-03-2006, 23:02   #1 (permalink)
Gary Collins
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
What model year was the first "reliable" Escort

My brother had a mid 90s model that went 300,000 miles before it gave
out. He never had the engine apart. It eventually used a lot of oil,
then was wrecked. Early models weren't near as good. Does anyone know
what year they became reliable? I have a chance to buy a 1986 model for
$200, but I am leary of the early ones.

Gary in IN

  Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 01-04-2006, 04:01   #2 (permalink)
Sharky
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: What model year was the first "reliable" Escort

I had a 1990 1.9L, 3 door, that went 250,000 kms with just normal
maintenance and a timing belt every 100,000 km. It needed a clutch
replacement around 190 k and the head gasket around 220 k, but after the
head gasket was replaced, that car ran like a top. Could not ask for a
better winter FWD car, would go anywhere even with all season tires.

Sharky


  Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2006, 07:01   #3 (permalink)
Backyard Mechanic
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: What model year was the first "reliable" Escort

"Sharky" <cleighton@NOSPAM.eastlink.ca> wrote:

> I had a 1990 1.9L, 3 door, that went 250,000 kms with just normal
> maintenance and a timing belt every 100,000 km. It needed a clutch
> replacement around 190 k and the head gasket around 220 k, but after

the
> head gasket was replaced, that car ran like a top. Could not ask for a
> better winter FWD car, would go anywhere even with all season tires.


The first year, 82... unless you count the "premature head gasket
failure" I had.

Got water-lock and yet after I got it started, drove it thirty miles
home, where I pulled the head and changed the gasket...first experience
with overhead cam and somehow had no probs. Never a hint of bearing
knock.

Next failure was a year after I had the Water Pump changed by local shop,
when the bearing on the repl WP went out and the valves were trashed.
All told had it 5 years and 180,000 miles and no other major repairs.
--
Yeh, I'm a Krusty old Geezer, putting up with my 'smartass' is the price
you pay..DEAL with it!
  Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2006, 07:01   #4 (permalink)
Backyard Mechanic
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: What model year was the first "reliable" Escort

"Sharky" <cleighton@NOSPAM.eastlink.ca> wrote:

> I had a 1990 1.9L, 3 door, that went 250,000 kms with just normal
> maintenance and a timing belt every 100,000 km. It needed a clutch
> replacement around 190 k and the head gasket around 220 k, but after

the
> head gasket was replaced, that car ran like a top. Could not ask for a
> better winter FWD car, would go anywhere even with all season tires.


The first year, 82... unless you count the "premature head gasket
failure" I had.

Got water-lock and yet after I got it started, drove it thirty miles
home, where I pulled the head and changed the gasket...first experience
with overhead cam and somehow had no probs. Never a hint of bearing
knock.

Next failure was a year after I had the Water Pump changed by local shop,
when the bearing on the repl WP went out and the valves were trashed.
All told had it 5 years and 180,000 miles and no other major repairs.
--
Yeh, I'm a Krusty old Geezer, putting up with my 'smartass' is the price
you pay..DEAL with it!
  Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2006, 09:01   #5 (permalink)
Mike Hunter
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: What model year was the first "reliable" Escort

I had a 1985. Although I do not generally keep my vehicles more than two
years, that 85 was passed on to my children and eventually my grand
children, who run it to well over 300,000 miles before it was parted out.
Having said that, there is no guarantee that ANY used car, of any brand, was
given the proper maintenance it need or that it was not abused by its
previous owner(s) For $200 however any car that will last six months is a
bargain ;)

mike hunt


"Gary Collins" <collins-gary@webtv.net> wrote in message
news:6704-43BB6E53-640@storefull-3274.bay.webtv.net...
> My brother had a mid 90s model that went 300,000 miles before it gave
> out. He never had the engine apart. It eventually used a lot of oil,
> then was wrecked. Early models weren't near as good. Does anyone know
> what year they became reliable? I have a chance to buy a 1986 model for
> $200, but I am leary of the early ones.
>
> Gary in IN
>



  Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2006, 10:01   #6 (permalink)
CJB
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: What model year was the first "reliable" Escort

Honestly, I think all the Escorts got a bad rap early on, and I don't think
there was much reason for it. People seem to knock little cars when they
were first introduced, but a lot of them turned out to be really reliable,
if short on creature comfort.

People I know have put as many as 550k miles on one. No, I'm not kidding.
One friend bought one for his wife in 1984 and she drove it until about 2
years ago. Even then, the only problem was an ignored condensate drain that
caused moisture to rust out the passenger side floorpan.

I had a 1997, which is the last generation Escort they made. It was BY FAR,
the best car I've ever had. I owned it for 135k miles, and traded it simply
because my family outgrew it. I really should have kept the thing. Even
when I traded it, I had never had to add a drop of any fluid or lube. To be
honest, in its early days, I didn't even change the oil as often as I should
have. As far as maintenance, I had to replace the front brake pads at 95k
miles. At that time, the back shoes still had half their life left.

I highly recommend them.

CJB


"Gary Collins" <collins-gary@webtv.net> wrote in message
news:6704-43BB6E53-640@storefull-3274.bay.webtv.net...
> My brother had a mid 90s model that went 300,000 miles before it gave
> out. He never had the engine apart. It eventually used a lot of oil,
> then was wrecked. Early models weren't near as good. Does anyone know
> what year they became reliable? I have a chance to buy a 1986 model for
> $200, but I am leary of the early ones.
>
> Gary in IN
>



  Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2006, 10:01   #7 (permalink)
Tom Adkins
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: What model year was the first "reliable" Escort

Backyard Mechanic wrote:
> "Sharky" <cleighton@NOSPAM.eastlink.ca> wrote:
>
>
>>I had a 1990 1.9L, 3 door, that went 250,000 kms with just normal
>>maintenance and a timing belt every 100,000 km. It needed a clutch
>>replacement around 190 k and the head gasket around 220 k, but after

>
> the
>
>>head gasket was replaced, that car ran like a top. Could not ask for a
>>better winter FWD car, would go anywhere even with all season tires.

>
>
> The first year, 82... unless you count the "premature head gasket
> failure" I had.
>
> Got water-lock and yet after I got it started, drove it thirty miles
> home, where I pulled the head and changed the gasket...first experience
> with overhead cam and somehow had no probs. Never a hint of bearing
> knock.
>
> Next failure was a year after I had the Water Pump changed by local shop,
> when the bearing on the repl WP went out and the valves were trashed.
> All told had it 5 years and 180,000 miles and no other major repairs.


Those 82-90 Escorts were actually great little cars. They just wouldn't tolerate
lack of maintenence, especially the cooling system. It wasn't unusual to see them wih
150-200K on the clock. Like Sharky said, they were fantastic in snow.
Many of the head gasket\cracked head failures were caused by overheating due to a
failed cooling fan temp sender. Running the water pump off the cam belt was a good
idea, sort of. But it's hard to get people used to the idea that the belt AND the pump
should be replaced every 40K miles even if they aren't causing a problem.
In the late 80s-early 90s when these were viable used cars, I would cruise the
dealer trade in lines and indy used car lots to find the ones with head gasket or
other problems. They could be had cheap because the dealers didn't want to fix them.
About $200 in parts and a weekend of work, I could sell the car a week later for a
nice profit. I probably turned about 50 of them during that time.
  Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2006, 11:02   #8 (permalink)
scott21230@gmail.com
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: What model year was the first "reliable" Escort

1985. I say this because it was the firt year they made them with a
non-interference engine (so engine not destroyed if timing belt broke),
plus you could get them with fuel injection. I had one with the 1.6L
engine and ran it until it needed a new engine after 11 years and
168,000 miles. Still had the original belts and hoses in it (except
timing belt) when I junked it.

  Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2006, 11:02   #9 (permalink)
scott21230@gmail.com
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: What model year was the first "reliable" Escort

actually http://www.feoa.net is probably a better place to ask this
question.

  Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2006, 19:01   #10 (permalink)
clare at snyder.on.ca
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: What model year was the first "reliable" Escort

On Wed, 04 Jan 2006 13:04:57 -0500, Tom Adkins
<newton5@remove.comcast.net> wrote:

>Backyard Mechanic wrote:
>> "Sharky" <cleighton@NOSPAM.eastlink.ca> wrote:
>>
>>
>>>I had a 1990 1.9L, 3 door, that went 250,000 kms with just normal
>>>maintenance and a timing belt every 100,000 km. It needed a clutch
>>>replacement around 190 k and the head gasket around 220 k, but after

>>
>> the
>>
>>>head gasket was replaced, that car ran like a top. Could not ask for a
>>>better winter FWD car, would go anywhere even with all season tires.

>>
>>
>> The first year, 82... unless you count the "premature head gasket
>> failure" I had.
>>
>> Got water-lock and yet after I got it started, drove it thirty miles
>> home, where I pulled the head and changed the gasket...first experience
>> with overhead cam and somehow had no probs. Never a hint of bearing
>> knock.
>>
>> Next failure was a year after I had the Water Pump changed by local shop,
>> when the bearing on the repl WP went out and the valves were trashed.
>> All told had it 5 years and 180,000 miles and no other major repairs.

>
> Those 82-90 Escorts were actually great little cars. They just wouldn't tolerate
>lack of maintenence, especially the cooling system. It wasn't unusual to see them wih
>150-200K on the clock. Like Sharky said, they were fantastic in snow.
> Many of the head gasket\cracked head failures were caused by overheating due to a
>failed cooling fan temp sender. Running the water pump off the cam belt was a good
>idea, sort of. But it's hard to get people used to the idea that the belt AND the pump
>should be replaced every 40K miles even if they aren't causing a problem.
> In the late 80s-early 90s when these were viable used cars, I would cruise the
>dealer trade in lines and indy used car lots to find the ones with head gasket or
>other problems. They could be had cheap because the dealers didn't want to fix them.
>About $200 in parts and a weekend of work, I could sell the car a week later for a
>nice profit. I probably turned about 50 of them during that time.



When it comes to cheap transportation, NOTHING beats an Escort -
particularly the Mazda based units. My brother's kids all drive
Escorts. His son cracked up the 95 wagon with over 300,000km on it -
after driving the crap out of it for 7 years. Not bad for a $2500 car.
He's got a ZX2 now. Both daughters are driving escorts too. Lowest
insurance cost of any car in Canada.
Definitely lower maintenance than my daughter's Neon.

Being basically a Mazda 323/Protege, and selling for roughly HALF the
price of the Mazda on the 5 year old used market.
  Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

  Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Fordforums Community > USENET NewsGroups > alt.autos.ford



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are Off
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.2

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 05:07.



Powered by vBulletin® Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0
Garage Plus vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.