90 Ford F150 key lost. How to remove, IGN. OFF ? - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Fordforums Community > USENET NewsGroups > rec.autos.makers.ford.explorer
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-15-2005, 16:01   #1 (permalink)
Spud
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
90 Ford F150 key lost. How to remove, IGN. OFF ?


A friend has lost her ignition key for her 1990 Ford F150 (300cu. in. std.
trans.). I have removed the steering wheel, turn signal switch unit and I
have ordered a new ignition switch tumbler unit with key.

The Haynes manual says the switch tumbler must be "ON" in order to remove it
and I can't do that without a key.

How do I get the tumbler unit out? the @1/8 dia. locking pin will not
depress or pull out,
do I try to "Dremel drill" off the pin, jam a hefty screwdriver in the
keyslot and twist, pry out on the shoulder of the finger tab collar.

No big hurry here, the lady somehow lost her keys when her horse was
startled, bucked her off, broke her leg (thankfully it wasn't the horse's
leg) and ran home.

The only thing the lady is driving right now is an Invalid's Walker, and the
only saving grace there is she doesn't have to put gas in it.

Anyway, eventually she will need to drive again and I'd like to get the
ignition tumbler replaced by then.
Thanks,
Spud, Mission BC Ca.



  Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 09-15-2005, 18:01   #2 (permalink)
Jim Warman
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: 90 Ford F150 key lost. How to remove, IGN. OFF ?

Easiest way is to drill down through the centre of the lock cylinder.... you
will need to take care and avoid damaging the housing that the cylinder
nests in. If impatience sets in or concentration lapses, this repair can
become needlessly frustrating.

You may also want to introduce the young lady to the idea of having at least
one spare key at all times.... (think of the effort this could have saved
already...).



  Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2005, 10:01   #3 (permalink)
Spud
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: 90 Ford F150 key lost. How to remove, IGN. OFF ?

Thanks Jim,

Oh yes, the lady is very well aware of her backup key oversight now.

What size drill through the tumbler and about how deep? New tumbler is on
order so I don't know yet how it couples in to steering collar.

Spud-- Rather be workin' on a John Deere

"Jim Warman" <mechanic@tenalpsulet.net> wrote in message
news:7goWe.248810$tt5.910@edtnps90...
> Easiest way is to drill down through the centre of the lock cylinder....
> you
> will need to take care and avoid damaging the housing that the cylinder
> nests in. If impatience sets in or concentration lapses, this repair can
> become needlessly frustrating.
>
> You may also want to introduce the young lady to the idea of having at
> least
> one spare key at all times.... (think of the effort this could have saved
> already...).
>
>
>



  Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2005, 17:01   #4 (permalink)
Jim Warman
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: 90 Ford F150 key lost. How to remove, IGN. OFF ?

I can't ever rememebr which one is the magic size.... I start with about
1/4" to set my centreline through the tumbler. Somewhere between 7/16ths and
1/2 inch seems to be the "magic window". Rather than hog it out in one or
two passes, I prefer to try to pick the tumblers out as I go..... nothing
worse than having to say oops just before we head to the auto wreckers...


"Spud" <ve7ifdnospam@telus.net> wrote in message
news:tRBWe.282287$on1.135313@clgrps13...
> Thanks Jim,
>
> Oh yes, the lady is very well aware of her backup key oversight now.
>
> What size drill through the tumbler and about how deep? New tumbler is on
> order so I don't know yet how it couples in to steering collar.
>
> Spud-- Rather be workin' on a John Deere
>
> "Jim Warman" <mechanic@tenalpsulet.net> wrote in message
> news:7goWe.248810$tt5.910@edtnps90...
> > Easiest way is to drill down through the centre of the lock cylinder....
> > you
> > will need to take care and avoid damaging the housing that the cylinder
> > nests in. If impatience sets in or concentration lapses, this repair can
> > become needlessly frustrating.
> >
> > You may also want to introduce the young lady to the idea of having at
> > least
> > one spare key at all times.... (think of the effort this could have

saved
> > already...).
> >
> >
> >

>
>



  Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2005, 19:01   #5 (permalink)
Spud
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: 90 Ford F150 key lost. How to remove, IGN. OFF ?

Jim:

Yes, by gum it worked great. I didn't look at the size of bit but at around
7/16ths the key tumbler assembly jumped over to the "ON" position and pulled
out with the drill bit. I didn't have to depress the pin inside. A quick
shot of compressed air to clean out the drill chards, a shot of spray
Lubriplate in the tumbler socket and the new assembly popped in and
performed perfectly.

Still embarrassed, being a old Chevy owner I didn't realize that in those
Fords, the doors used the same key and I could have easily popped out a door
lock and taken it to a locksmith to have a new key made. Oh well the old
tumbler's thumb ear piece was half broken off anyway.

All in vain, somebody had found her lost keys, dropped them on a Canadian
mailbox and the TB Vets returned her keys last Friday by courier even though
the donation registration tag was outdated. At least she doesn't have to
replace the door locks now.
Spud


"Jim Warman" <mechanic@tenalpsulet.net> wrote in message
news:Uv1Xe.288860$on1.115802@clgrps13...
>I can't ever rememebr which one is the magic size.... I start with about
> 1/4" to set my centreline through the tumbler. Somewhere between 7/16ths
> and
> 1/2 inch seems to be the "magic window". Rather than hog it out in one or
> two passes, I prefer to try to pick the tumblers out as I go..... nothing
> worse than having to say oops just before we head to the auto wreckers...
>
>
> "Spud" <ve7ifdnospam@telus.net> wrote in message
> news:tRBWe.282287$on1.135313@clgrps13...
>> Thanks Jim,
>>
>> Oh yes, the lady is very well aware of her backup key oversight now.
>>
>> What size drill through the tumbler and about how deep? New tumbler is
>> on
>> order so I don't know yet how it couples in to steering collar.
>>
>> Spud-- Rather be workin' on a John Deere
>>
>> "Jim Warman" <mechanic@tenalpsulet.net> wrote in message
>> news:7goWe.248810$tt5.910@edtnps90...
>> > Easiest way is to drill down through the centre of the lock
>> > cylinder....
>> > you
>> > will need to take care and avoid damaging the housing that the cylinder
>> > nests in. If impatience sets in or concentration lapses, this repair
>> > can
>> > become needlessly frustrating.
>> >
>> > You may also want to introduce the young lady to the idea of having at
>> > least
>> > one spare key at all times.... (think of the effort this could have

> saved
>> > already...).
>> >
>> >
>> >

>>
>>

>
>



  Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

  Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Fordforums Community > USENET NewsGroups > rec.autos.makers.ford.explorer



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are Off
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.2

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 16:54.



Powered by vBulletin® Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0
Garage Plus vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.