'91 Explorer XLT Stalling Out - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
» Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Fordforums Community > USENET NewsGroups > rec.autos.makers.ford.explorer
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-27-2005, 20:01   #1 (permalink)
Dan J
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
'91 Explorer XLT Stalling Out

The past 2 years that I have had my Explorer I have noticed that in the
summer it is stalling out. Well yesterday things got really bad with it,
In order to keep it running I have to leave my foot on the gas and place
it in neutral sometimes.

I checked my vacuum lines and found 1 line that was torn up from wear
and tear, and was promptly fixed. Unfortunately that did not solve the
problem as I had hoped.

I am hearing a loud hissing noise as if there is a vacuum leak but I
cannot find it, as all the lines that are visible are in good condition.
Are there any lines that are hidden that are accessible if you know
where they are at?

How hard is it to change out the spark plugs w/o having to tear off half
of the engine?

Thanks in advance for your help.


~Dan
  Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 07-28-2005, 05:01   #2 (permalink)
Mikepier
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: '91 Explorer XLT Stalling Out

It's probably the IAC valve. A common problem. Easy to remove and
clean. If it does not work after cleaning. maybe time for a new one.
Usually the IAC is mounted on the intake manifold or on the throttle
body.
It looks similiar to this:

http://lightning.prohosting.com/~v8mate/auiac2.jpg

  Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2005, 05:01   #3 (permalink)
Mikepier
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: '91 Explorer XLT Stalling Out

Sorry if that link is blocked. Try this pic and scroll to the bottom.
http://lightning.prohosting.com/~v8mate/auiac.html

  Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2005, 07:01   #4 (permalink)
Dan J
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: '91 Explorer XLT Stalling Out

Mikepier wrote:
> Sorry if that link is blocked. Try this pic and scroll to the bottom.
> http://lightning.prohosting.com/~v8mate/auiac.html
>

That wouldn't happen to be similar to the Mass airflow sensor would it?
  Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2005, 08:01   #5 (permalink)
Dan J
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: '91 Explorer XLT Stalling Out

Dan J wrote:
> Mikepier wrote:
>
>> Sorry if that link is blocked. Try this pic and scroll to the bottom.
>> http://lightning.prohosting.com/~v8mate/auiac.html
>>

> That wouldn't happen to be similar to the Mass airflow sensor would it?


Disregard this one :)
  Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2005, 08:01   #6 (permalink)
Charlie Bress
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: '91 Explorer XLT Stalling Out


"Dan J" <danj@hannah-my-dog.net> wrote in message
news:54CdnUAnc4V-3XXfRVn-ig@speakeasy.net...
> The past 2 years that I have had my Explorer I have noticed that in the
> summer it is stalling out. Well yesterday things got really bad with it,
> In order to keep it running I have to leave my foot on the gas and place
> it in neutral sometimes.
>
> I checked my vacuum lines and found 1 line that was torn up from wear and
> tear, and was promptly fixed. Unfortunately that did not solve the problem
> as I had hoped.
>
> I am hearing a loud hissing noise as if there is a vacuum leak but I
> cannot find it, as all the lines that are visible are in good condition.
> Are there any lines that are hidden that are accessible if you know where
> they are at?
>
> How hard is it to change out the spark plugs w/o having to tear off half
> of the engine?
>
> Thanks in advance for your help.
>
>
> ~Dan


Dan, I just had a similar problem on my '92. It didn't stall but idled
rough.
First make sure that on the little manifold that is at the left rear of the
engine that all the ports have either a vacuum line attached or a cap to
seal off a port that is not being used. If all that is OK pull out the
thicker vacuum line that goes to the power brake booster. That is the round
can that is mounted on the firewall.. Pull that big hose out of the booster
and close of the end with your hand. See if that makes a difference. What
happened to me was that the grommet on the booster had deteriorated and
leaked. Replacement can be got at local parts store.

Charlie


  Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2005, 09:01   #7 (permalink)
Dan J
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: '91 Explorer XLT Stalling Out

Dan J wrote:
> Mikepier wrote:
>
>> Sorry if that link is blocked. Try this pic and scroll to the bottom.
>> http://lightning.prohosting.com/~v8mate/auiac.html
>>

> That wouldn't happen to be similar to the Mass airflow sensor would it?


Okay, I pulled the IAC out, cleaned it, checked the resistance and it
was at 9Ω which is within spec. I did notice however that when I blew
through it with the the shaft exposed on the end that it did completely
block off air when I tried to blow through it, and when I reattached the
other half, it was open enough to where I could pass air through it.

The good thing is that the loud hissing noise is not as pronounced as
before as it seems to be somewhat intermittent. I am not sure if taking
brake cleaner or something of that sort will more thoroughly clean it,
as it was hard to get inside it due to the shaft.
  Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2005, 09:01   #8 (permalink)
Dan J
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: '91 Explorer XLT Stalling Out (Addendum)

Dan J wrote:
> Dan J wrote:
>
>> Mikepier wrote:
>>
>>> Sorry if that link is blocked. Try this pic and scroll to the bottom.
>>> http://lightning.prohosting.com/~v8mate/auiac.html
>>>

>> That wouldn't happen to be similar to the Mass airflow sensor would it?

>
>
> Okay, I pulled the IAC out, cleaned it, checked the resistance and it
> was at 9Ω which is within spec. I did notice however that when I blew
> through it with the the shaft exposed on the end that it did completely
> block off air when I tried to blow through it, and when I reattached the
> other half, it was open enough to where I could pass air through it.
>
> The good thing is that the loud hissing noise is not as pronounced as
> before as it seems to be somewhat intermittent. I am not sure if taking
> brake cleaner or something of that sort will more thoroughly clean it,
> as it was hard to get inside it due to the shaft.


I also took the truck out for a spin both with AC on and OFF, and it
seemed to run a little better, but not noticible enough to say it's fixed.
  Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2005, 09:01   #9 (permalink)
Dan J
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: '91 Explorer XLT Stalling Out

Charlie Bress wrote:
> "Dan J" <danj@hannah-my-dog.net> wrote in message
> news:54CdnUAnc4V-3XXfRVn-ig@speakeasy.net...
>
>>The past 2 years that I have had my Explorer I have noticed that in the
>>summer it is stalling out. Well yesterday things got really bad with it,
>>In order to keep it running I have to leave my foot on the gas and place
>>it in neutral sometimes.
>>
>>I checked my vacuum lines and found 1 line that was torn up from wear and
>>tear, and was promptly fixed. Unfortunately that did not solve the problem
>>as I had hoped.
>>
>>I am hearing a loud hissing noise as if there is a vacuum leak but I
>>cannot find it, as all the lines that are visible are in good condition.
>>Are there any lines that are hidden that are accessible if you know where
>>they are at?
>>
>>How hard is it to change out the spark plugs w/o having to tear off half
>>of the engine?
>>
>>Thanks in advance for your help.
>>
>>
>>~Dan

>
>
> Dan, I just had a similar problem on my '92. It didn't stall but idled
> rough.
> First make sure that on the little manifold that is at the left rear of the
> engine that all the ports have either a vacuum line attached or a cap to
> seal off a port that is not being used. If all that is OK pull out the
> thicker vacuum line that goes to the power brake booster. That is the round
> can that is mounted on the firewall.. Pull that big hose out of the booster
> and close of the end with your hand. See if that makes a difference. What
> happened to me was that the grommet on the booster had deteriorated and
> leaked. Replacement can be got at local parts store.
>
> Charlie
>
>

Good suggestion, I will check it out. The other thing that I noticed was
that there was what looked like a cap to a vacuum line on the ground, I
put it to the side as I still cannot find where it came from, as it
probably tumbled off somewhere.
  Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2005, 11:01   #10 (permalink)
John Normile
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: '91 Explorer XLT Stalling Out

I found that the easiest way was to remove the passenger side inner
fender (plastic) to get to the rear plug. All the rest are
relatively easy.

John Normile

On Wed, 27 Jul 2005 19:15:11 -0700, Dan J <danj@hannah-my-dog.net>
wrote:
(Snip)
>
>Thanks in advance for your help.
>
>
>~Dan


  Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

  Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Fordforums Community > USENET NewsGroups > rec.autos.makers.ford.explorer



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are Off
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.2

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 13:24.



Powered by vBulletin® Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0
Garage Plus vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.